3.5mm jack connector/cable for Sennheiser HD595
Mar 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Wuhtzu

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I own and really love a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones. The only problem is that they terminate in a 6.5mm jack connector and I use them mostly for my computer, mp3-player and so on. What I do right now is to use an adapter cable like the one made by Grado (http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/headphones/headphone-accessories/grado-adaptor-cable-6-3mm-to-3-5mm-15cm-length-/prod_724.html), but I would like to get rid of it and just have a 3.5mm jack at the end.

I see two options:

#1: Get an replacement cable with a 3.5mm jack on and simply replace the cable the way it's meant to be. Maybe a cable from one of their other headsets will work or similar.

#2: Solder on a new 3.5mm jack connector.

Does anyone know if #1 is possible - does a cable terminating in a 3.5mm jack exist which will fit the HD595?

Or can anyone recommend a good 3.5mm jack connector which I can "simply" solder on? My problem with this solution is that none of the jack connectors I've found have a cable protector matching the diameter of the HD595 cord. So it will look stupid and and the attachment will not be optimal.

Best regards
Wuhtzu

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks for the reply s3er0i9ng.

Quote:
I would just get this http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=pd_sim_e_21

That however is the problem with writing detailed, lengthy threads. People just read the topic and bits here and there. I mentioned in the post that I am already using such an adapter. Not the one made by Grado, but a similar one and that is not the permanent solution I'm looking for. It is good for stationary use (like at your computer) but a terrible for mobile use, like with your mp3-player on the bus.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 24
Why is that? It seems like it would be better than the conventional adapter for mobile use.

I was thinking about getting something like that, which is why I'm asking.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Thanks for the reply s3er0i9ng.

That however is the problem with writing detailed, lengthy threads. People just read the topic and bits here and there. I mentioned in the post that I am already using such an adapter. Not the one made by Grado, but a similar one and that is not the permanent solution I'm looking for. It is good for stationary use (like at your computer) but a terrible for mobile use, like with your mp3-player on the bus.

I'm not sure how those adapters aren't convenient for mobile use, but I think the more interesting question is: You're using HD595s...on a bus....and you're worried about the plug not being portable enough?
blink.gif

How did you solve the problem of your Benchmark DAC1 + SLA car battery that you use on the bus having too large a volume knob hanging off the front?
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously, though, if you're using large open-back headphones out and about, I'm not sure how the plug is the portability problem.  But if for some reason it drives you crazy, you can always order a custom cable with custom connectors from one of the audiophile cable companies.   Or, on the cheap, you can always play with crimping/soldering your own connectors.  There aren't too many other non-mod options for that because for the past half century, little adapter cables have worked for most folks....   If you do decide to solder your own, I'd recommend trying to locate the piggyback TRS connectors so it's a 1/8" jack with a screw-down 1/4" jack so it works like a single plug and converts on the fly.  That would be the most convenient for using it both ways. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
Why is that? It seems like it would be better than the conventional adapter for mobile use.

I was thinking about getting something like that, which is why I'm asking.

I have never been using the original adapter which is like 10cm long and rigid. I have always been using an adapter featuring a small piece of cable to make it flexible - like the one from Grado.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
I'm not sure how those adapters aren't convenient for mobile use, but I think the more interesting question is: You're using HD595s...on a bus....and you're worried about the plug not being portable enough?
blink.gif

How did you solve the problem of your Benchmark DAC1 + SLA car battery that you use on the bus having too large a volume knob hanging off the front?
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously, though, if you're using large open-back headphones out and about, I'm not sure how the plug is the portability problem.  But if for some reason it drives you crazy, you can always order a custom cable with custom connectors from one of the audiophile cable companies.   Or, on the cheap, you can always play with crimping/soldering your own connectors.  There aren't too many other non-mod options for that because for the past half century, little adapter cables have worked for most folks....   If you do decide to solder your own, I'd recommend trying to locate the piggyback TRS connectors so it's a 1/8" jack with a screw-down 1/4" jack so it works like a single plug and converts on the fly.  That would be the most convenient for using it both ways. 

I take your point IEMCrazy. Small in-ear earphones seems like the definition of "portable" and big open-back headphones like the definition of "stationary". But even though I do not have my amplifier with me on the bus and my portable player isn't driving the hd595 as well, I still enjoy using them "out and about". And I actually feel that these adapters (like the one from Grado) are a hassle to pack. The cable itself (all 2-3 meters of it) wraps nicely around the headphones but the adapter is always in the way :p

Could you elaborate on "you can always order a custom cable with custom connectors from one of the audiophile cable companies" and/or suggest such a company/site?

Thanks for all
Wuhtzu

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you do decide to solder your own, I'd recommend trying to locate the piggyback TRS connectors so it's a 1/8" jack with a screw-down 1/4" jack so it works like a single plug and converts on the fly. 

Do you mean like the one on the HD280 Pro?

http://proplugin.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_305_32.jpg

Such a connector would be awesome - I'll start tracking such a connector down :)

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 24
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 24
You can always make your own cable and replace the old one.

and as far as interconnects that work well with the O.D. of smaller cables this one works well, but IMHO i have one and it shows wear VERY easily, it scratches and turns grayish in half a yearT
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-333

the only other thing i can suggest is getting a plug like this (i have one and it's really the best one out there that's redibly available and small) and then using shrink tube to fill in the space between the cable and the plug (it works and isn't very ugly, not as ugly and the other plug)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-157

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 24
I have Senn Hd650. I hated the long cable plus the 3.5mm adapter since I use them exclusively with a portable amp. I did a search and bought very high quality 3.5 mm gold jacks. They do not have the plastic strain relief but are very well insulated and strong. They are all metal. 

Now when you cut the cable the wires are coated with a color like paint. They do not have rubber insulation. You need to scrape them and use a hot soldering iron. But they rewire well. 

Lastly the 650 cable is flat and wide. It required I drill out the jack cover to fit.

I am very happy now with this cable. 

Bob Silver

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
I have Senn Hd650. I hated the long cable plus the 3.5mm adapter since I use them exclusively with a portable amp. I did a search and bought very high quality 3.5 mm gold jacks. They do not have the plastic strain relief but are very well insulated and strong. They are all metal. 

Now when you cut the cable the wires are coated with a color like paint. They do not have rubber insulation. You need to scrape them and use a hot soldering iron. But they rewire well. 

Lastly the 650 cable is flat and wide. It required I drill out the jack cover to fit.

I am very happy now with this cable. 

Bob Silver

Could I persuade you to name / link to the jack connectors you chose?

Best regards
Wuhtzu

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:

Could I persuade you to name / link to the jack connectors you chose?

Best regards
Wuhtzu

I think he was referring to the Neutrik Tiny Plug - it's the only one I would use.

Available in "silver" or "black", with a superb strain-relief, excellent cable-clamp and is rt.angled so as not to strain the socket - and superb build quality. 
L3000.gif

And if he wasn't referring to this, he should have been.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
i have to diagree that the neutrik tiny plug is of "very high quality",  the rean plug is even better than it at 1/4 the cost

Have you tried the Neutrik?

The Neutrik has a proper chuck type cable grip that is superb - the pictures I have seen of the Rean suggest it has the standard squash-over metal wings and no proper strain relief.

Internally the Neutrik is very solid with no way can it come loose like cheaper ones often can.

To say a cheap product is better than a well engineered product at x4 the price does seem rather silly to me.

I have handled and used very many connectors from many manufacturers over the years and I have found just two that reach the "excellent" standard - and that's Neutrik and Lemo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back