2nd ps1000 jackpot, i am with zanth!
Dec 23, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #136 of 165
Roker/Regal, as of a couple of weeks ago, they had them attached to a rack of other headphones (in fact, a couple of months ago, they actually had a broken set on the rack, which they either fixed or replaced (no doubt from so many people trying them on) -

I know you can definitely try them on., although I'm not sure whether you'll be able to bring your own music to hear them, but it certainly can't hurt to try -if you get the right person working there, they might be able to accomodate you by somehow actually removing them from the rack. I was just at B&H today very quickly picking up some Shure foam tips, so didn't have a chance to check out the headphone rack - they've got some other fairly medium to high end cans there too, as I recall, which I think you can try out, while you're there, as well.

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #137 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know a religious guy named John Paul? lol.(i thought that quote was more befitting of santa!) i don't get why bilavideo called you that though?

There was a character named McManus in the movie Usual Suspects. Great movie. Check it out sometime.

Quote:

anyways, wmcmanus i am glad you weren't angry. i just really like the ps1000. i think zanth said they were the best headphones he ever heard as well. i wonder if he has heard the he90. i am sure he has heard pretty good headphones.

I don't know if Jason has heard the HE90s or not. He's up in Canada, so he can't get to meets, unfortunately. But he's heard a lot of great headphones, and not just Grados, so when he says the PS1000s are the best he's ever heard, that carries a lot of weight with me (I'm sure others as well).

Quote:

this stuff is so subjective. it might sound like poopoo to some people. it's weird because to me the hd800 are nothing special. it's my personal taste not the headphones,ok?

music_man

Ya, Ok with me. It would be completely silly to get emotional about headphones. I can't imagine anyone doing that here...
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #138 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a big Grado fan,This thread interests me.
I have yet to hear the PS1000s.

I'd bet anything that John would arrange to let you give them a listen if you gave him a call.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #139 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think zanth said they were the best headphones he ever heard as well. i wonder if he has heard the he90. i am sure he has heard pretty good headphones.

I haven't heard the HE90's but I sure would love to. I almost had a chance to but the problem was the connection to the amp I had on hand was different and the adaptor was going to take too long to fabricate. The short of it is that I had to return all the electrostatic gear I had on hand at the time before I would have actually been able to use the HE90's. I have never had the opportunity to listen to the full Big O. I sure would love to!

What I have heard for a long time:

R10 (3 different pairs, one being a bass heavy version, 1 pair for 6 weeks at a time, on two different occasions, 1 pair for 4 months another pair for nearly a year)

Omega II (nearly a year, along with the Stax tube amp and a KGSS)

HE60 (with associated amp, about 6 months, and at the same time as Omega II and R10)

I've owned or had in my possession just over a dozen HP-1000's and then the regular batch of Grados I own.

HD800 for 2 weeks

K701 for a week

HE5 for 8 weeks

L3000 for 6 months

For the most part, I'm only missing out on having heard the HE90 (I tough one to never have heard), the K1000's (yet another!) and the Qualias. I have not heard the Ultrazone 9's but I heard the 7's and was not thrilled. I'll be getting a loaner pair of Beyer T1's in January.

The PS-1000's to me, are the best Grado ever. For most aspects of sound reproduction I would choose a John Grado over a Joe Grado, though I acknowledge the differences and I still think the HP-1000's have some of the most thrilling and hard hitting bass ever. I really miss that sound. The PS-1000's though for a John Grado sound fan would likely be the top choice. If one prefers Grados, or the Grado sound and ethos behind sound reproduction as I do, then the PS-1000's being the best Grado I have heard, by extension become the best headphone I have heard.

They are not the best at everything and I don't think I've ever written that anywhere. Where I find many headphones fail (or rather falter) is in relaying the true emotion of the music. I often get exceptionally articulate, detailed and fast headphones particularly from Japanese and German manufacturers (does that leave much else?
wink.gif
) but I often find that this sound tends to shy away from emotion and relies on clinical aspects of reproduction. This is how I found the HD800s to be for instance. They were so exceptional in so many ways and I still may save my pennies and buy them (I really like their top end and their headspace) but I also found I was rather bored listening to music. I found this often with the Omega II's, a LOT with the HE60's but less so with the R10's, even less with the Audio Technica's I've heard and pretty much never with a Grado.

I do enjoy listening to music, as does everyone here, and since headphones are small and easily stored, I don't mind having multiple pairs and would indeed love to have one of each major release. Yet, even when I had so many fine headphones on hand, I found myself often coming back to the PS-1's for instance, or the HP-1's vs. the Omega II's or R10's or HE60's. When I had the L3000's, I had those Grados plus the GS-1000's and although I was putting many hours on the L3000s because I didn't want to miss out on this gracious opportunity, I still found myself migrating back to Grados for the times I just wanted to fade into the music, relax, kick back and think on nothing, at least nothing other than the music I was listening to. Grados do that best for me.

Just like some have constructed a marvellous setup to maximize the R10's, or HE90's, or the HD6x0's and now the HD800's, I too have done so for Grados, and thus, there may be somewhat of an edge for those headphones vs. the headphones from other companies. Still, I did have the KGSS, Stax tube amp, an Emmeline Stealth, Earmax Pro Anniversary, MapleTree Audio (best model at the time), Talisman Audio T35HP, Lehmann SS amp and a Cary 300SEI. It was really intense all the stuff I did have on hand at the same time and so, save for the EAR HP4 and Melos, both of which I was tube rolling to get the best for the Grados, I was also experimenting with multiple combinations. In the end, no matter what, when I was asked by my wife for instance which I would choose, I would look at my table of Grados and point to them. I simply enjoy them more.

At the time I bought the PS-1's and the EAR HP4, I could have bought the R10's or the Omega II with either amp. I had that choice, the money was about the same no matter the option and I still went with the PS-1's and the HP4. If given that same option again today, I would do it again (and this time we all know how much the PS-1's sell for and the R10's).

For those that do not like the Grado sound, they won't get why I think they are better. Sure I'll try my best to describe what I hear and there may be nods in agreement at times, but overall, folks will always think I'm a bit batty for going for a type of sound which happens to coincide with a specific manufacturer time and time again.

I've kinda gone the same route with IEMs. I started with Etys, tried high end Shures, other lower end universals from other companies, but once I heard the Westone sound, I knew it was for me. Now I own their best model. They are the "Grado" in the IEM world. Eventually I'll buy a pair of JH13's simply because so many are claiming insane returns (going so far as to selling off their HD800's and *gasp* R10's)

Make no mistake however, if given the opportunity and I had the funds to do it, I would own one of each of the best headphones out there and that includes the Big O, HD800, R10, K1000, Qualia, L3000, Omega I and II etc. They all offer something spectacular, that, at that level, no other headphone does quite the same way. Since I am not in a position to own more than I have now, with the money I have now, I narrow it down to what I think I will listen to most, enjoy most, smile most with while wearing and listening. The PS-1000's are the best for me in that way.

Truthfully, at this point, I should really stop looking at headphones and concentrate on speakers, but I'm still a few years away from THAT part of our hobby.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #140 of 165
hi zanth. i am glad you finally showed up! i agree with everything you said 100%. i said they are not the absolute best at everything but i like them best overall to anything else. i have a hunch you will still feel this way if you hear the he90/hev90. oh,btw i don't like the 010 at all.

i guess you just have to really dig grado to "get" these the way you and i do. i at one point felt i had to own every grado ever made. i finally decided i don't need sr40's(and a lot of others) lol.

if i was on a deserted island, right now i'd take the ps1000.

i am glad you got to hear the hd800. i am impressed you feel about the same way i do reagrding them. personally i think if you had the hd800 and ps1000, the hd800 would be in the closet like mine(and th big o)! at least it get's the top shelf
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #141 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roker/Regal, as of a couple of weeks ago, they had them attached to a rack of other headphones (in fact, a couple of months ago, they actually had a broken set on the rack, which they either fixed or replaced (no doubt from so many people trying them on) -

I know you can definitely try them on., although I'm not sure whether you'll be able to bring your own music to hear them, but it certainly can't hurt to try -if you get the right person working there, they might be able to accomodate you by somehow actually removing them from the rack. I was just at B&H today very quickly picking up some Shure foam tips, so didn't have a chance to check out the headphone rack - they've got some other fairly medium to high end cans there too, as I recall, which I think you can try out, while you're there, as well.

Good luck!

I've been to B&H plenty of times, but it's been a while. B&H being closed on Saturday always messes me up.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #143 of 165
I (sort of) wish I had known beforehand of someone around here (Seattle) that had them for sampling but alas, that once available chunk of change has now gone towards another one of my 'distractions'. Oh well...

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #146 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd bet anything that John would arrange to let you give them a listen if you gave him a call.

I called John when they first came out to get one for the NY Regional meet ,No loaner pairs available at that time.

I figured someone would have one at the last NY meet ,no one had one either.

I should give John a call .I haven't spoken to him in a while.
Not really sure I want a loaner pair anyway,I really don't need any more phones & I know if he sends me a pair we all know the end result.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #149 of 165
I've had my PS1000s a few weeks now, they are awesome. Keep in mind I don't have a stock library of hi-end fones to compare them. I FINALLY bought Beastie Boys "Hello Nasty" after all these years on vinyl a few days ago; it's a well recored album and sounds beautiful on my set up.

I never sleep now, it's PS1000s till 3-4am every night.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #150 of 165
The cost of the PS1000s never stops costing. My new Grado fones have cost me $500+ in vinyl since I bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back