2G touch skips with lossless - bug has been fixed with firmware 2.2.1
Dec 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, typo, sorry.

And by 'sell it' I just meant get rid of it either by selling it, returning it, putting it in a blender, whatever. And I suppose option one could also have been 'Endure the skipping while bitching about it in emails to Apple and posts on the Internet', but I wanted to keep it short. My point was that Apple will never receive nearly as many complaints about this problem as any number of other requests and I doubt that you can raise it much on the priority list. So... just encode to a transparently-high lossy bitrate in the meantime and enjoy the unit..?

I really am not trying to be argumentative but I disagree that this is a trivial matter even for the masses or for Apple. I mean it is their codec. Its not like the calendar is not syncing. Its an ipod, which plays music, their music codec and it skips blatantly. Its no less glaring than advertising that it plays MP3 and then you find out it does not. Yes we are in a minority playing lossless- but we are hardly the only website bitching about it. At the very least you would think apple would just remove it from the supported codecs much like the Shuffle does not advertise the ability to play Apple Lossless. You can't sell a DAP that claims to play a type of music which doesn't actually do it. I mean class action lawsuits have been tried and won over far less trivial matters.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really am not trying to be argumentative but I disagree that this is a trivial matter even for the masses or for Apple. I mean it is their codec. Its not like the calendar is not syncing. Its an ipod, which plays music, their music codec and it skips blatantly. Its no less glaring than advertising that it plays MP3 and then you find out it does not. Yes we are in a minority playing lossless- but we are hardly the only website bitching about it. At the very least you would think apple would just remove it from the supported codecs much like the Shuffle does not advertise the ability to play Apple Lossless. You can't sell a DAP that claims to play a type of music which doesn't actually do it. I mean class action lawsuits have been tried and won over far less trivial matters.

I would agree with you that it is not trivial, but I would argue that it's common place for new or relatively new products in this technologically-advanced age to have some type of deficiency that needs to be fixed by software upgrades, etc., and that these often persist for several months. One extreme example might be the POS operating system sold by that company called Microsoft.
biggrin.gif
Many similar types of problems have been encountered with Blu-ray players, and before their demise, HD-DVD players. There are many other examples (see also the thread on the Zune 12/31 problem).

The problem definitely needs to be fixed, but I think it's ridiculous for some (I'm not accusing you) of acting like apple is the anti-Christ or a bad company because they have fixed the problem yet. I think that's the point I was more or less trying to make in my previous post.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #64 of 78
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!! FW 2.2.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!! FW 2.2.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in the meantime, the world didn't come to an end. Whew!
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #66 of 78
hopefully this is fixed in the Nano too, I have one coming in tomorrow and would like to have the option of some skip free Lossless from time to time. But I remember this being a problem with songs actually being skipped completely, is that right? For me its just a little hickup within a second of a song starting sometimes. Almost as annoying as not having gapless playback, man I hated that back in the day!
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As others have mentioned, mine skips with the new software as well. Hoping this gets resolved ASAP.

New firmware released today. Ver 2.2.1. I have not noticed any skipping so I cannot tell you if it is fixed.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

No, obviously it wasn't a world-ending problem, however battery longevity with the screen now off is much better, and as such I no longer need to constantly fiddle with screen and wireless settings to allow reasonable battery life. That WAS mildly annoying. Thanks (finally) Apple!

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Like all the other stuff we discuss is earth shattering.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #72 of 78
great to hear, I had finally come to terms with the thought I would have to return my loved touch... one last search only to find this
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #73 of 78
yes I can confirm the problem is fixed, I used to have skips every minute or so on lossless (mine is 32gig), after loading the new 2.2.1, problem is gone. now I finally can use it as my main source.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #74 of 78
The Earth is on its Axis again; God is in his heaven; I'm listening to my iPod Touch 2g without skipping.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Earth is on its Axis again; God is in his heaven; I'm listening to my iPod Touch 2g without skipping.

LOL, and may your cereal never get soggy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back