$299 Roland Mobile UA - USB DAC/amp with S1LKi 1-bit DSP
Jun 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #17 of 129
  I hope It supports FLAC... It doesn't make sense for me to support PCM, but not FLAC 

I can't see how it could not.  The computer won't be sending FLAC data to a DAC, it will be sending the uncompressed audio to it, anyway.  FLAC/MP3/WAV format is irrelevant since that's the job of the host computer to turn that into PCM data to send to the DAC.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 129
Wonder if you can set the output to line level in balanced mode. From the block diagrams in the owner manual, it looks like you are stuck going through the volume control/attenuator... seems that would make it difficult to find the 0db unity gain setting.

I'm thinking of using this for the DAC portion only.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 129
  Wonder if you can set the output to line level in balanced mode. From the block diagrams in the owner manual, it looks like you are stuck going through the volume control/attenuator... seems that would make it difficult to find the 0db unity gain setting.

I'm thinking of using this for the DAC portion only.

True, don't see anything in the manual for balanced and fixed line-out together.

Mine should be here in a few days. Gonna try it balanced out with volume at 75-90% and see how it works.

Either way, can't beat a balanced usb dac for $69.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 129
So, does the balance setup uses both A and B headphone outs? Does the manual disclose the balanced plug configuration?  It looks to me that it resembles the PONO player or Sony PHA-3 balanced plug configuration.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 129
  So, does the balance setup uses both A and B headphone outs? Does the manual disclose the balanced plug configuration?  It looks to me that it resembles the PONO player or Sony PHA-3 balanced plug configuration.

Correct. A output is right channel and B is left.

Should work perfect with my balanced Pono cables.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 129
Was wondering about the headphones that pair well with this Roland DAC/amp.  Any thoughts?

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #27 of 129
  It certainly supports FLAC. I own one and absolutely love it. If you have any questions, please ask.

Nice to know.  Please share your experience with the Roland DAC/Amp and compare with other set up, if any.  

What headphone do you pair it with?

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 129
I pair it with Sennheiser HD598, Grado SR60i and Baldoor E100. DAC's I've previously owned are: Fiio E10K (the only one I've been able to compare the Roland to), Fiio X3 ii, and iFi iDAC2.

The build quality of this tiny DAC is better then any of my previous ones. It's very nicely finished and I especially love the LED level indicator, which also doubles as a volume indicator when you adjust the volume.

The drivers are automatically downloaded and installed when you first plug it in. This was a nice surprise, although you still have to manually update the firmware to get all the features. It has a really stable ASIO driver and a simple control panel that allows you to change between the various output modes explained in the manual, to set the sample rate, the buffer, the attenuation of the fixed line out and to enable the "S1LKi Audio Engine". This engine is absolutely the greatest feature of this DAC. It's basically a DSP chip that upsamples to DSD, but I think it does more than that. It changes music in a very pleasant way and it sounds great. Maybe it adds some harmonic distortions to make it sound more analogue, I have no idea, but I love it and I hope you will too.

Edit: It's only for Windows and Mac OS as far as I know. Sorry.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #30 of 129
Thanks for your information.
how does UA sounds comparing to iFi DAC2 ?
I ordered an iFi iDSD (which is backorder) before getting Roland UA deal.
If UA is better or similar to iFi DAC2, then maybe I should cancel the iFi iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back