<$275 Dac/amp. suggestions?
Apr 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yayomizzan

Head-Fier
This is going to be my first amp purchase so I'm really still learning most of this stuff.
confused_face(1).gif
I've been looking at portable options but realized I don't actually need or want portability. A combo would be nice but if a separate dac and amp with a combined price of <275 sounded better then I'm all for it. Would I find something much better than the D10 which is at this price?

Will be using this only with my laptop so USB is essential. any advice appreciated! thanks!

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Gonna go with the FOTM here and say Compass. It's going to be a bit out of your budget at 312 after shipping (assuming you are in the states), but from the rave reviews it has been getting here on Head-Fi I think it can be safely assumed that it is a good buy!

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Pass on the D10. I have it and am returning it b/c it was only slightly better then my onboard sound. I'm contemplating the compass since it continues to be highly recommended.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 10
I like my Alien Dac, but ive only listened to a few dacs, and none over $200, but out of what ive heard, i like this the best. The other dacs were like external usb sound cards from Creative etc.
Alien Dacs are between $80-150 depending on who builds it and the case and other features.

May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pass on the D10. I have it and am returning it b/c it was only slightly better then my onboard sound. I'm contemplating the compass since it continues to be highly recommended.

Have to take issue with this - I received my d10 the other day - have about 20 hours on it but running it out of my Macbook via optical (also tried usb early on but will stick with optical as its a better choice) - this is an incredibly impressive unit with a ton of options. There is not a chance that it sounds only slightly better than an onboard. Absolutely love this!

May 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 10
BTW...sorry but forgot to mention - ordered - shipped in about 4 days and arrived 1 day from China to Buffalo NY and under $300 delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back