271s vs. 580s...showdown!
Mar 10, 2004 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
well, now i have what i think are comparable open and closed cans

the HD580 and the 271S

i'm gonna upgrade the cable for both, but i'm still waiting on my Oehlbach and Itza2mer cables

no rush tho!

right outta the box (these are used, btw, thanks IWalker172!) the 271s are pretty comparable to the 580s.

comfortwise, the feel more plastiky and rigid than the 580's.
If you move your head around with the 271's on they make some sound that can be irratating but damn if i don't like how they sound.

the fact that they compare to my 580's quite equally speaks to the design of these closed cans.

I reccomend these for college kids like me who need to isolate outside sounds (my dorm has NO set quiet hours) but still want great sound!

more to come on this comparison!

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
If you move your head around with the 271's on they make some sound that can be irratating ...

That may be the cable rubbing (microphonics).

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 26
I agree with you, I found the K271 and HD600 to be quite similar, the fomer is definitely a good closed alternative to the latter, albiet from a different company
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 26
sleepkyng, could you comment on sound quality and bass quantity/quality with K271 unamped out of the iPod and Powerbook?

I read K240s sound good out of portables but people say K271 sounds like crap unamped. I thought they use the same driver, no?

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
iron dreamster,

woohoo to scrobbler!

how did you disable the "auto off" mechanism on your 271s?

or am i thinking of someone else?

No, you got the right guy. I actully just put it back in to sell them.

1. Takes off the let side's "made in austria" sticker, it is easiest to peel up with a razorblade.

2. Unscrew the screws revealed.

3. Pop off the cover containing the mini-xlr socket.

4. Remove the small plastic tab near the top that when pushed in activates the cut-off switches.

5. Reassemble, adn you're done!

Mar 11, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 26
sleepkyng, have you tried the AKG 271 unamped? It sounds great unamped to me. Straight out of my PC the sound was a good improvement over the Senn 280.

When I added an m-audio sonica theatre and a PIMETA amp, the sound was the same as thru the PC headphone socket. The limiting factor here was the source, not the amp though, as when I used a PCDP instead of the sonica it sounded much better.

I think the 271 does improve with a good source AND amp, but moreso the source than the amp. Don't believe everything you read around here.

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 26
commando

i think it's the powerbook soundcard, because the sound out of every can i put on this thing sounds bad. i'mwaiting for my sonica to see if i get any improvement.

i really don't like the sound of my 271s unamped. For $180 msrp, the sound unamped is no good. I think through my nec cdr/ Smart dio combo to my PiMeta they sing.

when i say they are comparable to the 580's, i'm talking about this setup, i haven't really tried the powerbook to sonica to pimeta setup yet.

cheers!

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 26
I had the 270s and loved the bass and treble. Unfortunately I could not get rid of the veiled midrange. Everything sounded like it was rubber coated.

Is the midrange any better in the 271? Or still too bouncy?!@!?

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 26
that's IWalker182, not 172 *wink* Why do you want to get rid of the auto-mute? I kinda thought that was a cool and useful feature...and unless you have a small head that doesn't deactivate it when you put them on there's very little difficulty in using it. But, they're yours now, so do what you will
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the 270 had dual drivers that were considered to work against each other and muddy the sound, while the 271 is pretty good across the board, though a little lean in the bass (in terms of quantity, not depth) for some peoples' tastes...it very definitely gets a lot better as source and amps upgrade...moreso than any other can I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back