-26 db?
Sep 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 26
Isolation between IEMs varies quite a bit across frequencies, and between pairs of different IEMs. Inner Fidelity doesn't have a huge IEM selection, but each has an isolation graph in the top right and a broadband number in the bottom right. If isolation is a priority, look into Etymotic. Under -20dB isolation at all frequencies, most under -30dB, and -43dB broadband.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 26
the isolation will depend not only on the shape of the IEM, but also on tips you use. Generally, foam tips will isolate greater than silicone tips. Personally, I have been using modded silicone tips with foam inside which isolates better than when the 2 are used separately. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 26
One of the main factors on isolation is the design of the IEM housing.  Most dynamic driver IEMs have a vented housing, which will allow some outside noise to bleed in.  Etymotic earphones have a high level of isolation because the housing on all their models is not vented, but closed.  Using 3-flange tips that insert deeply helps ensure good isolation, as well.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 26
I dont think it is really....

If you compare it to the actual activites which are 26db it is not a lot to isolate.... 26db would be things like quiet talking or leaves rustling...

Considering I can clap as hard as possible with Shure se215 in my ears and it blocks out a good amount of the noise I dont think 26db isolation is excessive.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 26
I actually agree with JackKontney. The Westones have a good isolation around 25 dB. It's not soundproof but it totally blocks out outside noise (shoutings, ps3, tv, arguments) when the music is playing even at low levels. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 26
I dont think it is really....

If you compare it to the actual activites which are 26db it is not a lot to isolate.... 26db would be things like quiet talking or leaves rustling...

Considering I can clap as hard as possible with Shure se215 in my ears and it blocks out a good amount of the noise I dont think 26db isolation is excessive.

I think you may have misunderstood the nature of the decibel scale. Decibels are essentially a logarithmic ratio measurement, so 26dB isolation would be a reduction of about 25 times (which would be perceived to be roughly 7 times quieter).

G

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 26
Oh right I thought it meant the amount of external noise which could be blocked out....

If that was the case the 26db would not be a lot of noise and would be easy to block out... I dont really understand how they come to the figure of -26db isolation?

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 26
Oh right I thought it meant the amount of external noise which could be blocked out....

It is! 26dB would represent about a 25 times reduction in the amount of external noise.

G

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

If that was the case the 26db would not be a lot of noise and would be easy to block out... I dont really understand how they come to the figure of -26db isolation?

It is the amount of noise that gets blocked out. -26dB isolation means 85dB noise (about the volume of city traffic inside a car) sounds like 59dB noise (about the sound of a quiet conversation). -26dB will silence normal volume conversations to what would otherwise be background noise in your room.

You have to count backwards. -10dB means everything sounds half as loud. -20dB means everything sounds a quarter as loud. Use your fingers to thoroughly block your ear canal. That's probably around -20dB. -26dB is a good deal quieter than that.

Perhaps a better test, take the volume you normally listen at, and use your OS volume or player volume to reduce it by -26dB. Now imagine doing that to all the sounds around you (roughly speaking, isolation isn't even across frequencies).

How they "figure" -26dB is they probably use a dummy head to measure volume of a noise, then put the IEMs in and measure it again 
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 26
Hmm well with shure se215 in my ears a loud clap sounds like a subtle thudding noise.... Also if I am walking outside I cant hear traffic for s**t which is a bit owrrying lol.

So I would guess that 26db isnt that much of an outragous claim and proper custom IEM would be even better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back