$2500 budget. Need help deciding gaming PC or headphone setup
Aug 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #31 of 34
My 0.05 cents on the question: get a ~1500$ PC and then spend the rest on a good headphone or headphone+dac/amp

A good 1600$ PC might be this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/39Cb99

Note that i was quite lazy, so didn't really put too much thought on the build, it's more intended to show the concept: with 1600$ you can get a top of the line i5 + r9 390x (can swap this for a gtx 980 for around 40$ more) + 16GB ram + 250GB SSD. All packaged in a good full tower case, powered by a good modular power supply, and with the addition of a good sound card and a mid level blu ray reader/writer. This is already an high end gaming rig, that would work really well for at least 2/3 years without any upgrade, and might, MIGHT, need a GPU upgrade to last around 5/6 years, altough the GPU upgrade wouldn't even be really needed.
Unless you're also going to do video editing/3d modeling, an i7 would be overkill. Also, keep in mind that in a couple of monts the new intel chipsets should be available.

Then, with the remaining 900$ you could get a really nice headphone (like an HD600/650) with a fairly good desktop amp+dac(shiit stuff is pretty good, for what i read, and is reasonably priced), or simply a REALLY good headphone, but that would be wasted without at òeast a good amp, IMHO.

Again, just my 0.05 cents.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #32 of 34
Just want to point out that the OP has not responded to this thread in more than a week. Unless someone else shows up with a similar situation, maybe it would be better to sit tight and wait for him/her to return.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #33 of 34
One doesn't have to spend the full $2,500. They might for example choose to invest some of the money, and/or give some to a good charity.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #34 of 34
Just want to point out that the OP has not responded to this thread in more than a week. Unless someone else shows up with a similar situation, maybe it would be better to sit tight and wait for him/her to return.

Yes. Especially with the video card suggestions, since we all know that last month's value at a given price point is often not the next month's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back