$2500 budget. Need help deciding gaming PC or headphone setup
Aug 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

acme124

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi.org!

In a bit of a predicament, and I was hoping there was some users out there with the same problem, maybe they had it before, or they currently have it.

So I currently have ~$2500 in, despencible income, and I would like some help deciding. I am an enthusiast for anything and everything tech, and right now there are two things that I am seriously looking at:

1. A really nice PC, because I do enjoy my fair share of games, or
2. A really nice headphone setup, most likely containing a Schiit Lyr, Bifrost, and Beyerdynamic dt880s.

Basically what I am looking for is maybe some opinions from the Head-Fi community as to wether a really nice PC or a Headphone Setup is well worth it. I could consider myself a compulsive listener of music, often times with High Quality recordings, but I still wonder if it is really all worth it, as in 'will it get used almost everyday, do I have the music library, and is there anything more I need to obtain to make this all work.'

Any accounts and comments related to this decision for me will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 34
Why all or nothing? What headphone setup do you have now? What kind of computer do you have now? You could have a very nice headphone setup for <$1000, and then get yourself a good gaming PC.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 34
I don't have any headphones right now, and the only computer for gaming I have is an old dell with components from 5 years ago. I know I could easily get both, by splitting it down the middle, but at that point why bother with either. I always told myself that, if I were to get a gaming PC it would be really good, and something I wouldn't have to replace. Same goes for headphones.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 34
  I don't have any headphones right now, and the only computer for gaming I have is an old dell with components from 5 years ago. I know I could easily get both, by splitting it down the middle, but at that point why bother with either. I always told myself that, if I were to get a gaming PC it would be really good, and something I wouldn't have to replace. Same goes for headphones.

Those are two very different things, so it's hard for us to say what you would get more enjoyment from. 

I could build a PC that wouldn't have to be replaced any time soon (all computers go obsolete eventually) for $1500, and that would be my route, personally.  But I also understand wanting to get the best of something that you possibly can.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 34
Question.  Would you be building the computer yourself, or buying one pre-build?  What games are you currently interested in playing?  What monitor do you have, or would the $2500 have to include purchasing a monitor?  What resolution do you want to play games at?  Multiple monitors?  I could better help you build a gaming PC than help you with the headphone questions honestly.  I've built multiple computers (recently build a gaming PC for a friend), but I'm new to the high-fi headphone world.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 34

Because you apparently don't seem to understand the value of your dollar with either. There are extremely diminishing rates of return on spending that much money on either a gaming computer or a headphone setup vs. spending approximately half on each. For $1000, you could easily get a great sounding headphone setup. For $1500, a similarly kickass gaming machine.

BTW: there is no such thing as gaming machine you will never have to replace. Games continue to evolve to use more resources and require more powerful machines.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 34
BTW: there is no such thing as gaming machine you will never have to replace. Games continue to evolve to use more resources and require more powerful machines.
So true......
Aune T1 w/good tube>Asgard 2>T90= great sound for around $800 (Massdrop T90 for $400)
Good gameer PC around $1500 should last 3 to 5 years
$200 for beer and pizza...........
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 34
What are the specs on your current computer:

CPU make/model?
GPU make/model?
Hard drive solid state or mechanical?
Amount of RAM?

Often a few upgrades can give fantastic performance results. Sort of depends on what you have.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 34
It's a bad idea to spend $2500 on a gaming rig since the technology and games evevolves really fast. It's better to settle for a decent rig and save the rest of the money so you can replace parts down the road. That being said, only you can decide wether music or gaming is more important for you. As another person in here already said, it also matters what games you're planning to play - no point in spending $1500 on a rig that is totally overkill for your purpose. However I do agree with the other people in here, personally I'd split up the bugdet for both. Having a good audio setup personally helps me with game immersion.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 34
  Hello, Head-Fi.org!

In a bit of a predicament, and I was hoping there was some users out there with the same problem, maybe they had it before, or they currently have it.

So I currently have ~$2500 in, despencible income, and I would like some help deciding. I am an enthusiast for anything and everything tech, and right now there are two things that I am seriously looking at:

1. A really nice PC, because I do enjoy my fair share of games, or
2. A really nice headphone setup, most likely containing a Schiit Lyr, Bifrost, and Beyerdynamic dt880s.

Basically what I am looking for is maybe some opinions from the Head-Fi community as to wether a really nice PC or a Headphone Setup is well worth it. I could consider myself a compulsive listener of music, often times with High Quality recordings, but I still wonder if it is really all worth it, as in 'will it get used almost everyday, do I have the music library, and is there anything more I need to obtain to make this all work.'

Any accounts and comments related to this decision for me will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Buy both PC and headphones for 2500$ easily, as Cel mentioned - diminishing returns. For a 1000$ you can get extremely good set of headphones + amp, maybe that you'd like even more than some more expensive set, at that price point price != sound quality.
Same for PC, for 1.5k well spent you can play currently every game on max details, same max details as you'd play on 2.5k PC. And games evolve fast, so in year or two (maybe 3?) you won't be able to play it on max no matter if you paid 2500$ or 1500$ (those 1000$ would get you maybe 5-10% performance that was already overkill for today's games with cheaper rig, so it would be pretty much 1k thrown away, or would give you couple of frames more in those incoming games in year or two, still a waste).

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 34
I guess another way to ask the question is this.  Is the computer itself the enjoyment for you?  Do you just love building, tweaking, overclocking, running benchmarks, pushing the limits, etc.?  In other words, would having a $2500 computer be enjoyment in and of itself?  If so, go for it.

However, if the computer is just a means to an end, that end being the ability to play games that interest you, then you would likely be just as well served by a less expensive computer.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 34
Get an 1080p monitor and a gtx 960/R9 380X and u are set.
Cpu wise go for the I5 and 8gb ram.
240gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd will be enough.

Hifi set: Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Modi 2 will be sufficient for the Beyer's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back