<$250 DAC with Optical Input
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC that will be using my Mac Pro's Digital Out.

I already have the amp (Little Dot MKIII) and the cans (HD-650) coming in. As you can tell, this isn't going to be portable. I won't be modding and I live in the US.

I've seen the Keces da131 dac offered around this price range, used.
There also was the E-MU 0404. I wonder what other options I have and if they're better.
The Zero Amp/DAC has been getting good reviews. Since I'm wanting just a DAC, I wonder what else there is. Especially since shipping for that thing means waiting a bit with customs, I hear.
The "Spitfire" DAC is $250 at firestore audio could be good. But it looks a bit small and for that and shipping, would the Keces da131 be the better value (even if used)?

The last step before enjoying my music is here.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 4
If you don't mind used, there are a lot of really amazing older dacs that have fallen into the sub $200 price range. I've got a denon DA-500 that I use in concert with an airport express that I absolutely love, and I know there are a number of similar dacs from the same time frame that are also good. Much better than anything new that I've seen in the same price range. The more time passes the more tempted dac builders seem to be to solve everything with as few parts as possible, compromising sound for package and cost.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 4
I wanna note that the Keces would probably cost more than $250 used since they're $390 shipped brand new. I'll be selling one soon too and I'll definitely price is higher than $250.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanna note that the Keces would probably cost more than $250 used since they're $390 shipped brand new. I'll be selling one soon too and I'll definitely price is higher than $250.

I can find it for about $265. I think I can stretch to that much with shipping. But let's see what else there is. I'm trying to find out all I can about this DAC but with knowing nothing more than just the price of it, I have no idea how much bang for the buck I'm getting here compared to others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind used, there are a lot of really amazing older dacs that have fallen into the sub $200 price range. I've got a denon DA-500 that I use in concert with an airport express that I absolutely love, and I know there are a number of similar dacs from the same time frame that are also good. Much better than anything new that I've seen in the same price range. The more time passes the more tempted dac builders seem to be to solve everything with as few parts as possible, compromising sound for package and cost.

I'll definately accept them used if in a good enough condition. I don't think I have the patience to wait to use the FS subforum here, I'll see where used ones are sold. Audiogon has some pretty expensive used ones, I'm finding so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back