24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #6,677 of 7,175
The problem here isn't so much education or science as it is technology. The internet is a new thing and because of that, people tend to use it improperly. Instead of seeing the internet around them as an ocean of humanity that they are a small part of, they see it as a mirror, wanting it to reflect validation back upon themselves. They don't take in a variety of input then sort out the wheat from the chafe logically. Instead, they cherry pick what they want to hear, and invest complete trust in that. Worst of all, they invest their emotions and self esteem in their personal opinions, expecting to achieve some sort of dominance over others, when in truth, they're just one more voice among billions. Information on the internet should be judged by its own merits, but too many people wrap their egos around their opinions and end up fighting instead of learning. I think it's eventually going to find a reasonable level, but it's going to take a few decades for society to catch up with technology's effect on it.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6,678 of 7,175
Enough with the Myers-Briggs lingo already! It’s been debunked almost as throughly as so many audiophile claims and myths! 🙂

https://www.psycom.net/myers-briggs-personality-type
I guess you can "debunk" these things if you want, but getting into these things and thinking about these things through has helped me tremendously to understand myself and other people. The results speak for themselves, "debunked" or not.

Why do I live inside my head most of time while being among other people can be tiring to me. Why am I socially akward? Why can't I swim in colder water like other people? Why is it easier for me to think "outside the box"? Why am I not interested of travelling or going to concerts, but I am interested of learning new things on my own and listening to music alone? I could list these things ad nauseum. Getting into cognitive functions have provided answers to these questions. Nothing else has.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,679 of 7,175
I think it's eventually going to find a reasonable level, but it's going to take a few decades for society to catch up with technology's effect on it.
At that point there is something completely new and it is too late! AI alone will be a game changer.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #6,680 of 7,175
Cognitive and personality disorders hinder thought processes. Logic is a skill that is acquired.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #6,681 of 7,175
Cognitive and personality disorders hinder thought processes. Logic is a skill that is acquired.
Yes, but being logical is more natural to some people. We are not equally talented at everything. For some people it takes 100 hours to learn a skill and 1000 hours or more to other people. You think people are just lazy, but WHY are they "lazy"? Maybe it is disincouraging if you don't have the talent?

People say they don't need the math they learn in school. Many of them are right. Most people don't evaluate integrals in their life, but even those people benefit from the math, because it teaches logic and logic is beneficial in life. They may not be as good at logic as logical people, but they are better at logic than they would be without math studies in school.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #6,682 of 7,175
When I was in school they taught debate and logic.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #6,683 of 7,175
I guess you can "debunk" these things if you want, but getting into these things and thinking about these things through has helped me tremendously to understand myself and other people. The results speak for themselves, "debunked" or not.

Why do I live inside my head most of time while being among other people can be tiring to me. Why am I socially akward? Why can't I swim in colder water like other people? Why is it easier for me to think "outside the box"? Why am I not interested of travelling or going to concerts, but I am interested of learning new things on my own and listening to music alone? I could list these things ad nauseum. Getting into cognitive functions have provided answers to these questions. Nothing else has.

If it has helped you to understand yourself that is all for the better. Myers Briggs has not held up to scientific scrutiny however, if I am not mistaken. See toward the end of this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator

As I understand it the five factor model of personality traits has held held up much better. You can getter started here (see link below) and maybe you will get to know yourself even better! There should be some online tests around on the net to get your feet wet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #6,684 of 7,175
Yes, but being logical is more natural to some people. We are not equally talented at everything. For some people it takes 100 hours to learn a skill and 1000 hours or more to other people. You think people are just lazy, but WHY are they "lazy"? Maybe it is disincouraging if you don't have the talent?

People say they don't need the math they learn in school. Many of them are right. Most people don't evaluate integrals in their life, but even those people benefit from the math, because it teaches logic and logic is beneficial in life. They may not be as good at logic as logical people, but they are better at logic than they would be without math studies in school.

Learning something is easier if you want to do it not because someone else wants you to do it.

Studying higher education courses teaches new ways of looking at things like paintings that the casual observer might miss.

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #6,686 of 7,175
Hmm how did the topic completely change by this page from the original?
Now with the wireless Sony DSP stuff is it even more confusing?
Maybe because the original topic is a dead horse about how 16bit is an adequate storage medium for music reproduction. DSP also isn't anything new: even Sony has had a lot of different DSPs (at different bit depths) starting with some of their earliest Discmans. By 1989 they had some fairly high end ones: my dad had such a one. The D-555 had quite a plethora of DSP modes that also included custom EQ bands and a "surround" sound mode. Later Discmans in the 90s would have at least "megabass" if not also a "car" mode (that adjusted EQ for the conditions of acoustics in car) and "surround" for headphones. I had a Discman myself with Sony's "surround" DSP. I enjoyed it at the time: it wasn't meant to give a 3-D audio type experience, but instead recessed vocals and boosted instruments to give a "live" feeling to recordings.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #6,688 of 7,175
I used to have the yellow one! with the anti tap feature. I specifically remembering turning on Megabass for that Smashin Pumpkins song and saying wow!
Ah, yeah...think the yellow ones were all the sports models. If you are curious about the other models, you can still find them on E-Bay....though the better ones are getting harder to find as A: they're aging and tracking/caps are wearing out and B: the sought after ones are way too expensive for what they are. As for the surround DSP, I do think what I had (the D-82xK) series was the best for surround sound mode. Even compared to the D-555, I thought that series had a more natural sound (even though its setting was off, 1, or 2 compared to many increments of the D-555). There was (I think), the D-822K that didn't have any ESP (memory for not skipping)...up to D-828K (that had the most ESP memory buffer). Of course, I think these day's you'd only be using these old players on the desk...and when driving in the car be streaming from your phone.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #6,689 of 7,175
And what en rebuttal that is, going on for 14 years now^^
And it will go on for another 14 years and probably longer, though not necessarily in this thread. There’s no choice! As long as hi-res exists and someone/some companies can charge more for it, there will be marketing which falsely states it’s audibly better in order to justify the higher price. This will continue ad infinitum, as long as enough audiophiles fall for it to make it profitable to pay for that marketing.

So inevitably, on audiophile sites like this one and as long as this situation continues, there will be marketers, their shills and audiophiles suckered by that marketing posting “rebuttals”. It is irrelevant that these rebuttals are invalid, ridiculously invalid or both ridiculously invalid and comprehensively debunked, it will just be ignored and the same old BS repeated. 14 years is nothing, this has been on-going for nearly 50 years with audiophile cables and 40 odd years with amps!

G

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #6,690 of 7,175
Well, I didn’t mean it answers everything absolutely. Clearly we don’t live in such a world. Just that if something ends up proved beyond doubt, it probably has to do with an objective approach.

The scientific hypothesis testing method has the concept of errors built in: "A type I error (false-positive) occurs if an investigator rejects a null hypothesis that is actually true in the population; a type II error (false-negative) occurs if the investigator fails to reject a null hypothesis that is actually false in the population." So if the P value is 0.05 there is a 1/20 chance that the null hypothesis will be rejected even if it is true, thats a type 1 error. The probability of a type 2 error is typically probably larger than 0.05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back