24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jul 20, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #5,821 of 7,175
I have a better idea. If you really do have ears that are capable of hearing things that are inaudible for the rest of humans on Earth, you're wasting your time here. Go make an appointment with an audiologist and tell him that you can hear -100dB under music that peaks at 0dB. Ask him to verify it or refer you to someone who can. He will know what to do.

I see through you. And I'd bet I've seen through you before... probably in this very thread.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #5,822 of 7,175
What is silly is that some who "claim" to adhere to science are really more akin to religious zealots when presented with evidence that may call into question their beliefs.

It is not your right to smear me & as long as the mods allow it I will keep defending myself. Actually, I will just ignore you from now on as you obviously have nothing positive to offer.
kind of modo stuff but mostly my personal feelings on it:
I tend to let people talk. This section, for various reasons, is going to have heated arguments, that's just a fact. I mean when a discussion becomes too heated about technical stuff, psychoacoustics, or testing protocols in the rest of the forum, it's not rare for admins to move the posts here without a word and we have to deal with it. It's like the science debate club where almost nobody knows how to have a debate, or do science.:sweat_smile: people have clearly very different concepts of what can constitute a proof, and also very different ways to handle their personal beliefs being questioned(the religious zealots of audio are obviously a thing). If I was to stop any and all level of what could be interpreted as a personal attack to comply with the rules, we'd better close this section of the forum.
That's where the report button becomes most relevant. When one thinks he's on HBO and someone else is going crazy thinking he's watching CBS with a defective "beep" machine, he can report the post and explain in what way that post shouldn't be left on the forum. It's a way to bring those posts to our(modos) attention and even if we decide to do nothing, in the long run we get a trail of what someone has been doing, so a justified report is never a waste of time. Just like IMO, telling people when they go too far is not a waste of time. It's the community trying to apply self discipline. Even me, I'm just a noname member who's been given an extra "delete" button. Those who expect me to handle everything without being told to, will get consistently disappointed ^_^.

Normal non modo post:
It's been mentioned briefly, but most people here will have more respect for someone who does bother to run some sort of controlled experiment. Yes we can easily cheat and it would be risky to just take ABX logs at face value no matter what they show. No, it's probably not going to change humankind's understanding of the world. But it's also a fact that most people will never bother trying. So the moment you did, you got promoted to the very unwillingly exclusive club of "we actually tried". so few people do, that IMO it is worthy of praise and increased respect.

Now of the 2 logs you gave so far, the first one had some conversion issue, the second still doesn't seem to specifically test bit depth.
And it's important to repeat what @gregorio said, that it's trivial to make 16 vs 24bit audibly noticeable. All we need is a track with a very quiet signal so we can increase the gain without paying for it, until the quantization noise becomes noticeable. so if that's the type of question we're trying to answer, well it's already been done and there is a consensus that we can pass.
So it's assumed that you're not going to do that, but will instead use a playback volume that's close to what you would usually use to listen to music. Otherwise we're answering a very different question when passing the ABX. Audibility here is just a matter of threshold, for the test to be relevant to the audiophile hobby, it needs to be done under typical listening conditions.
If even like that, you still can easily tell the difference, then it would be interesting to also try the 24bit bounced to 16 then back to 24. and to test that against the original. that test should result in guessing stats, so if actual 16 vs 24bit gives audible difference, it means that the source or the DAC are handling those files differently and are the cause for the noticeable difference instead of 16bit truncation. Which would also be interesting and a very important distinction.

So I hope you get that most people who keep saying that your test is not enough or is wrong, are in fact bringing up those distinctions and suggesting more tests based on the result you get each time, as a perfectly normal scientific approach would say to do. They're not all just trying to shut you down.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #5,823 of 7,175
@bigshot stop it with the baseless accusations and obvious double standards. You cannot ask every guy with a belief to run a blind test or we won't listen to him, and then when the result of the blind test doesn't say what you want, declare that the guy is cheating and that nothing he's going to do will count as evidence.
Morally it's blatant dishonesty. And for the standards of this forum, you should mention the possibility of cheat as one of several hypotheses, not act like it's a fact when you cannot support your claim with evidence. So far, both logs he submitted were with files that don't really fit the requirements for 16 vs 24bit tests, meaning that there could be a bunch of reasons why he's passing even if he's not cheating. Not considering those possibilities is ignorance/cherry picking. I don't think we're supposed to do that. Certainly we shouldn't when talking in the name of science.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #5,824 of 7,175
we'd better close this section of the forum.

Although I would like to take a moment to criticize this moderation as being one of the worst I ever saw, I think this section will not develop any rails to get up on, so you might as well just close it, and y'know, call it a day.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #5,826 of 7,175
Although I would like to take a moment to criticize this moderation as being one of the worst I ever saw, I think this section will not develop any rails to get up on, so you might as well just close it, and y'know, call it a day.

Rich coming from you. You're like an arsonist that complains that a firefighter did a bad job of putting out your fire.

I did not change the volume nor did I use any tools to measure / display the bit rate or sample rate. I just used my ears and the difference is very obvious to them.

What is silly is that some who "claim" to adhere to science are really more akin to religious zealots when presented with evidence that may call into question their beliefs.

It is not your right to smear me & as long as the mods allow it I will keep defending myself. Actually, I will just ignore you from now on as you obviously have nothing positive to offer.

Unfortunately you didn't address the elephant in the room: your files aren't properly made. To the skeptical outsider, it seems as if you're cheating. I simply believe that you're running into a bout of inexperience.

If you want, I can provide some properly-processed files for you. If you don't trust me, simply ensure the frequency and bit rate of the end files are the same.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #5,827 of 7,175

You are making an extraordinary claim that goes against well-established science. For your observations to hold any credence, you would need to demonstrate exceptional evidence.

The device under test has still not been ruled out as a factor in the most basic of methods. It was mentioned above that one file was 44.1kHz and the other 96kHz. One way to help eliminate the possible issue with your device creating some tell by switching between the sampling rates would be to convert to 16/44 and then back again to 24/96. This way, both test files will be in a 24/96 FLAC shell, but the converted file would only have 16/44 data. There would be a lower chance that something is identifiable when switching back and forth between the test files.

Then, if your files check out and you still identify differences indicated in your test logs, unfortunately the most likely explanation is still not that there is an audible different between 16 and 24 bit audio files in normal listening conditions. We would need more information about how your were conducting the test and the equipment used. Maybe this would be enough information to explain your results.

Also, having a neutral party proctor the test would be another method to help eliminate some additional questions about the authenticity of the test.

What you have provided is not significant evidence with regards to science, and does little to strengthen any case that those that seek to learn from science are similar to a religious zealot. This position only emboldens many of us to consider your motivations for participation in this form to primarily be to troll.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #5,829 of 7,175
It is a known story that Philips wanted CD audio to be 14-bit while Sony wanted 16-bit.

Then would be a scientific topic here: 14 bits are enough, we do not need 16 bits.
It wasn't because it was enough (perceptually there's a slim to no difference for most listeners), it was because Philips only had a 14-bit DAC.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #5,830 of 7,175
[1] The guantlet has been baseless accusations aimed at debasing me & discrediting me as a person -
[1a] that is not part of the "scientific method."
[2] I have not presented any false information.
[3] I used standard tools (sox) in the manner recommended & disclosed my config parameters in case they needed any adjustment. I made no modifications beyond that. If you want to provide the 16bit version you made I can retest.
[4] I did not change the volume nor did I use any tools to measure / display the bit rate or sample rate. I just used my ears and the difference is very obvious to them.
[5] What is silly is that some who "claim" to adhere to science are really more akin to religious zealots when presented with evidence that may call into question their beliefs.

1. I personally have NOT debased or discredited you directly as a person, although I have made an accusation aimed at discrediting/debasing the information you've presented. However, it is NOT a baseless accusation, it is based on an objective measurement, a null test which demonstrated a null of only (very roughly) 20dB.
1a. Absolutely it is, in fact it's arguably the most important part of the scientific method!! The scientific method absolutely requires the very close scrutiny of ALL aspects of a test/experiment by others: The test material, the test methodology, the analysis of the resultant data and the asserted conclusions from those results. In fact, the scientific method REQUIRES at least two steps in this process: Firstly, peer review and then replication of the results by others repeating the test/experiment. Faults/Errors are frequently found during this process and depending on their seriousness, the end result can easily be that the scientist/s are personally discredited!

2. Clearly you have presented false information. To start with, as already mentioned, there is some error in the down converted file you've used for comparison. Although again, I'm NOT accusing you of deliberately presenting false information.

3. But you haven't "used standard tools in the manner recommended"! You have presented a commercial music mix and the commercial standard for creating a 16bit version from a higher bit depth original/master is NOT sox, nor the use of standard (TPDF) dither. The "recommended standard" is the use of noise-shaped dither and there are/have been a number of tools used as "standard" over the last 25 years or so, for example, in order of time period: Sony Super Bit Mapping, Apogee UV22HR, Pow-R, iZotope and various others but not sox. However, the developer community does appear to use sox quite commonly, presumably because they are thoroughly comfortable using a command line interface. My guess (and it is just a guess because like most audio engineers I've never used sox), is that you've made some error in the parameters you've defined, because I've be very surprised if the developer community had missed some bug or deficiency in sox.

4. There are various reasons how/why a difference 16 vs 24 bit can be detected. I've already mentioned an "unreasonable" listening level but there are other possibilities, for example: You are also downsampling and it's possible that the original contains enough >22kHz content to cause audible IMD in your reproduction chain, while of course the 16/44 version would not contain any >22kHz content. There are other possibilities, such as incorrect settings selected in Foobar's the ABX plugin. The problem is that you are claiming "very obvious" audible differences and "very obvious" audible differences require relatively large objective differences. However, digital audio theory does NOT predict such large differences, this is confirmed by actual objective measurements and further confirmed by countless thousands of controlled listening tests over a period of 25 years which demonstrates no audible difference at all and certainly NOT a "very obvious" audible difference. This extensive body of interlocking supported evidence represents well established, accepted science, which your claim contradict! And, whenever such a claim has been made here, it has ALWAYS turned out to be an error in testing methodology and/or materials, sometimes an inadvertent error and sometimes a deliberate fraud.

5. There two rather obvious problems/falsehoods with this assertion: Firstly, you are NOT "calling into question our beliefs", you are contradicting a very well established, accepted body of evidence/science. And secondly, it's a basic axiom of science that "An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence". However, you have not presented extraordinary evidence. You have attempted to provide evidence that is more reliable than the sighted tests typically presented by audiophiles, however, there are serious questions regarding your two comparison files and your methodology, so you have not yet reached the bar required even for reliable evidence, let alone extraordinary evidence! Until you do, extreme scepticism is the ONLY logical response from those who "adhere to science", which is pretty much the opposite of "silly"!!

[1] So this is the reason I can hear the noise floor of many recordings, I know it's this because all songs in an album have a particular hiss, and if I start listening to another one, the hiss is different.
[1a] It has being annoying to say the least.
[2] I listen at around 80 to 90 dB SPL with headphones.

1. But that's observational evidence that you are NOT hearing the digital noise floor (dither)! This is because dither does NOT change, it's of constant level (equivalent to about the LSB) and constant frequency/spectral distribution (pure white noise). In other words, if you were hearing the digital noise floor (dither), then the hiss would NOT be different. However, both the acoustic noise floor (the noise floor of the recording venue) and the analogue noise floor on a digital recording are very highly variable both in level and spectral distribution. In fact, the acoustic noise floor varies very audibly even in the SAME recording venue, due to slight differences in relative mic positions and slightly different locations within the recording venue, which presents particular problems/difficulties with TV/film sound. Bare in mind that the noise floor of standard dither is about -92dB, while the recording noise floor (acoustic + analogue noise) of commercial music recordings is typically between -40dB and -60dB.
1a. Different songs on an album will have somewhat different playing styles, often different instruments and/or different instrument settings, will have been recorded and mixed somewhat differently and will therefore have a different acoustic (and probably a different analogue) noise floor. There's not much that can be done about this.

2. That's very loud, unless:
A. You have headphones that do not isolate much and you use them in a relatively high noise floor environment or
B. If you're listening to material that rarely reaches peak level, only for very short periods and the vast majority of the recording is significantly lower than peak, EG. Certain relatively uncommon pieces of classical music, that have not had any audio compression applied.

Even though it's probably uncomfortably loud for most people, 90dB SPL is still within "reasonable listening levels". With 16bit, using standard dither, the digital noise floor would be about 92dB below peak, so if your peak is 90dBSPL the dither noise would be at about -2dBSPL. Bare in mind that a 100w incandescent light bulb produces about 4 times more noise (~10dBSPL at 1m)! Even with a somewhat higher listening level, world class anechoic chamber conditions, a hypothetical recording with an acoustic + analogue noise floor lower than -92dB and an amp/speakers or HPs that have a combined noise floor lower than -92dB, you'd still be very near the threshold of audibility. However, a somewhat higher listening level (than 90dB) would be very close to an ureasonable listening level in world class anechoic conditions AND, recordings with a low noise floor would/should ALWAYS have noise-shaped dither applied (putting the dither noise at about -120dB), so the dither noise is well below audibility even at the hypothetical/theoretical extremes of "reasonable listening levels" (which of course is why it was invented in the first place)!

Still think you're hearing dither noise on commercial 16bit music recordings reduced from 24bit? :)

G

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #5,831 of 7,175
It is a known story that Philips wanted CD audio to be 14-bit while Sony wanted 16-bit.
Then would be a scientific topic here: 14 bits are enough, we do not need 16 bits.

There wouldn't be much of a scientific topic here that 14bits is enough, because science can prove that 14 bits are way more than enough. Is SACD (1 bit) many times lower audible fidelity than CD (16 bit)? If not and therefore 1 bit is enough, how would 14 bits not be enough?

However, while there wouldn't be much of a "scientific topic" here, I'm sure there would be a very protracted discussion with those who don't understand and/or reject the science!

G

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #5,832 of 7,175
Castle, he is lying. I don't have to believe him. And he's going after you now. This guy is trouble and he doesn't belong here. I'm just calling it as I see it. I'm not the one causing the trouble. I'm just the one pointing at it. Correlation does not imply causation.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #5,833 of 7,175
when I compare 24/192 to 16/44, the overall presentation of the sound to my ears is much less harsh. For example, cymbals, trumpets and saxophones are much more lifelike & pleasing to my ears. I can abx a difference in these rates with foobar2000.

My claim was that I could abx 24/192 compared to 16/44. I was challenged by several members to provide proof with foobar signed logs - which I believe I did (albeit 24/96 to 16/44 - proctored testing was not part of the original challenge. I think it would be really cool to do proctored testing and I am open to it, but to me - this is a secondary test going beyond the original scope. I think it's a bit unfair to set a goal & then move the goal line once the original requirement is achieved and yet at the same time take the position that the original test was not fulfilled). I considered redoing the test on a video recording to assure there is no cheating, but I honestly don't think that would eliminate the suspicion of cheating - so I don't think it adds much. Some people will surely assume there is some cheating off camera even though I commit to you that is not the case. I have also offered to redo the test with "properly" converted files provided by others. That offer remains open but unfulfilled.

I certainly do understand requiring extraordinary proof. If I were in the other position, I would demand that same. There is a way to state such without impugning someone. Clearly, the opposite has occurred in some of the communication around this. It's fine to point out ways a test fails the integrity check. It's not fine to make baseless accusations and insinuations based on suspicions of cheating (if such an integrity based confrontation is required - it should be based on facts rather than suspicions).

Regarding the other proposed new test: I have never tried to abx 24/96 to 16/96 as 16/96 is not a readily available format. I am also not sure of the purpose of this test since this format is not available to us as consumers. I would suggest a better test would be 24/44 to 16/44 as both formats are available. In any case, I do not think the results should reflect negatively on me since this was not my original claim. If there is interest, I will try it for the benefit of science.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #5,834 of 7,175
Are you going to get an experienced third party to set up the test for you, or are you going to do it yourself again? The purpose of Foobar ABXes isn't to prove things to other people. They are to find out for yourself. If you want to prove it to others, you need to document your process and have independent oversight of the testing procedures. Then you will want to get someone to try to replicate your results, which might be difficult because what you are claiming has already been pretty well established as impossible with everyone else.

This isn't a test about 16/44.1 vs 24/96. This is a test about your personal hearing ability. If what you claim is true, your hearing is unique. The question is, "Why is your hearing different than everyone who has been tested in the past?" That is what you should be focused on, not proving stuff on internet forums.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #5,835 of 7,175
There wouldn't be much of a scientific topic here that 14bits is enough, because science can prove that 14 bits are way more than enough. Is SACD (1 bit) many times lower audible fidelity than CD (16 bit)? If not and therefore 1 bit is enough, how would 14 bits not be enough?

However, while there wouldn't be much of a "scientific topic" here, I'm sure there would be a very protracted discussion with those who don't understand and/or reject the science!

G
1 bit by itself isn't enough, there is a need of huge oversampling and noise shaping techniques just to lower quantization errors to acceptable levels. It is both inefficient and unnecessary. 14 bits PCM is enough to have a good dynamic range, but not striving for the best would have been a mistake I'm thankful we didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back