24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #4,741 of 7,175
[1] No, all you have to do is present the research. When you don't then it means you have not read such and just want to imply such data exists.
[2] Noise is not music. And musical peaks are not averaged as we have been discussing.

1. It's already been presented in post #4740. Allowable exposure time for 139dB = 0.11 seconds per 24 hour period. Exposure to 140dB is not allowable.
2. Which is why I posted papers on hearing damage caused by MUSIC to musicians!!!

I have shown you research from multiple peer reviewed journal research papers that use the identical methodology: finding threshold of detection and comparing with peak music in real life to determine dynamic range. This is it not a game. It is how to do this.

No, that is not how to do it!! Dynamic range is NOT the limit of hearing and then just measuring peak music in real life. If you want "real life", then dynamic range is from the noise floor of the concert/performance environment to the peak of that performance and obviously that environment MUST include musicians, audience and exterior and system noise, in the case of an outdoor and/or amplified gig. For the umpteenth time, your "real life" does not exist in real life and therefore cannot possibly be real life! Jeeeeez.

[1] I have shown you noise floor of recording spaces that is at the threshold of hearing.
[1a] And we have measurements of peak music in the same rooms in excess of 120 dB.
2. That makes the statement in yellow total folklore and nonsense.

1. You have shown us the noise floor of a few select recording spaces.
1a. Now that's a lie, you know it's a lie because you've been told and because simple logic should tell you and yet you just keep repeating the same nonsense. They are absolutely NOT peak measurements in the "same rooms", they are peak measurements in DIFFERENT ROOMS, the rooms have a whole bunch of musicians in them and for a real life concert, an even bigger bunch of audience! It wouldn't matter if the rooms have a -100dB SPL noise floor, what matters is the noise floor with the musicians!!! And, you are ignoring the peak and SNR levels of typical mics, which you yourself posted photos of. And, you are ignoring the target dynamic range of masters for consumers.

2. No, due to what I've stated in 1a, that makes what you are trying to state nonsense!

Don't keep repeating that.

If only you could apply that sentiment to your own statements!

G

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #4,742 of 7,175
The audio layman I am, is rarely getting above the following estimated levels with headphones:
  • 80 dB SPL with average or high noise environment
  • 65 dB SPL at night or low noise environment
I am well aware that those above levels settings are estimated taking into account the headphone SPL @1kHz specification and a 0dB FS True Peak Level.

At my level, @RRod's files helped me realized how much futile the actual dynamic range discussion is, since:
  • In order to discern sound in them I needed to crank up volume around +25dB,
  • In order to discern noise nuances I needed to add up to +15dB ( total +40dB) or more.
Checking those files with a digital Peak Meter (ITU BS 1770) indicates a True Peak Level around -49dB LKFS.
I will omit the RMS / Momentary / Short / Integraded values all below -60dB LKFS since values under -70dB are not taken into account by specs.

In conclusion, since I am not having an AutomaticTransmit (volume) Power Control reacting as fast a 100dB/s to appreciate noise subtilities while keeping safe levels for loudy portions, I will keep my volume settings steady or within a 10 dB range.
No matter if I am missing extreme low level subtilities in such tracks with 24bits or even 16bits.

I could not hear anything with 2 of the files used in Amir's ABX at the volume level I typically listen to music. My SPLnFFT app indicates <80dB(A) FAST at my normal listening level.

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #4,743 of 7,175
The audio layman I am, is rarely getting above the following estimated levels with headphones:
  • 80 dB SPL with average or high noise environment
  • 65 dB SPL at night or low noise environment
In conclusion, since I am not having an AutomaticTransmit (volume) Power Control reacting as fast a 100dB/s to appreciate noise subtilities while keeping safe levels for loudy portions, I will keep my volume settings steady or within a 10 dB range.
No matter if I am missing extreme low level subtilities in such tracks with 24bits or even 16bits.

Thanks for giving a listen, @Arpiben. Yes, if you aren't accustomed to this kind of material, the volume settings will seem unreasonable. I'll post the loudest section of the track (happens to be the loudest section of the album too) and you'll see that you might be able to up the pot just a tad more.

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,745 of 7,175
What inability? That the few people on the losing side of the argument declaring it so, doesn't make it that. I mean the proof is in what you say: none of you have bothered to go and buy the papers and read them! How little can you care about this topic when you have no motivation to go and spend the cost of one or two CDs to really understand the research?

What the what dude. You have perfectly encapsulated my entire point here. I did not buy it. I am not an audio engineer or researcher, so I trust others to do this for me. Others who HAVE READ THE ARTICLE offered you pointed, direct, and compelling contradictions, and your response is to throw logical fallacies back and never address the point. If you need help, this was a 2 part critique: 1. Data is an outlier, 2. they used a homebrew mic without specifications provided to get the outlier data. If that is true, then the paper is bunk. Period. Note the reason for this is that the data is an outlier, and when you come up with an outlier data point, then others must be able to replicate your work. This is a basic part of the scientific method. I gave you a link to a university's "How Science Works."

You could say that is not true - that they used a standard mic, that they provided the specs and others have replicated their work, etc., and that would be an actual refutation. By dodging the critique you clearly imply that it is true, and you're using obfuscation to cover up that fact. I have actually read a lot of AES papers, and they're almost universally really bad research, maybe it's all you're exposed to, and to be honest it's fine if you are. It's way more important that drugs are researched well, for example, than audio gear. But it's typically bad science. Knowing that, and hearing a legitimate critique of the paper you cite that you seem unable to debunk tells me what I need to know.

Feel free to actually address the claim now. But I am sure you'll instead point me to more biographies and tell me that I haven't read enough science and therefore am way less smart than you. Because you either are so arrogant that you don't care about properly defending your assertions, or they're indefensible.

So that it is clear what the research states, it goes thought *every bit of the chain* in both recording and playback to see what the effective dynamic range could be. It examines everything from venue, to hearing thresholds, microphones, amps, DACs, ADCs, etc., etc. And it builds on other published work. Furthermore, this research is hugely references in later papers by many others. It simply is end of the story.

That it is referenced by others is meaningless. It could be referenced in papers that refute it, it's still referenced. It is not the "End of the story," and if you think it was then you don't actually understand how science works.

As to whether I know how to interpret the data, this is my professional background: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/. Bigshot walks around with an AES workshop link in his signature. Did you know I hired one of those luminaries, J-J, to be my audio architect while at Microsoft? This is what I did professionally. I have the ability to understand the paper in question. And have written articles on it that has gotten wide distribution without a single person writing in and saying, "oh, your author doesn't have the ability to understand the resaerch." Now this may sound like bragging but it is not. Your doctor is not bragging when he says that he understands research that you have not even read. He can dismiss your protest out of hand and be right.

Cool, so this is what we call appeal to authority. I've pointed this out to you time and again, yet you still go back to it. I do not care about your resume or who you've hired. It does not give you carte blanche, does not make you right, and your repeated falling back on it demonstrates that you can't argue on the merits. You don't use appeal to authority if you can argue the merits of something. I get it, you were a VP at Microsoft, and I am therefore to grovel at your feet. I don't care because you've repeatedly demonstrated an inability to back your claims - and when your fallacies are pointed out to you by I and others, you use the same fallacies in your responses! I know lots of VPs, and I can tell you your titles don't impress me. Some people in authority never have to point out that they're in a position of authority.

When I was in the Army, you could tell a Ranger from a Green Beret, the Ranger always told you how bad and tough he was. The Green Beret just was. Never had to say it.

As to what you all are saying, I have heard it countless times. I have debated them at length on other forums with people taking your positions but frankly, doing a lot more research than you all that are doing by protesting. What is in the OP is one of the most frequent myths spread on forums about dynamic range of our hearing and what is recorded in content. It is time to stop it and not use debating tactics of "oh, don't you want our respect" or "you don't get it." I get it and am not looking for the respect from people who don't bother spending a few bucks learning about audio science as published in real world and not talking points in forums. Yes the "logic" of it makes lay sense. It even makes semi-technical sense. That is why people run with it without doing any research of their own. But ultimately it is just gut feeling stuff that is not correct.

What I am saying is not what others are saying. What I am saying is that you keep using logical fallacies in all of your posts, which makes them unconvincing. I come to this and other forums to learn, mainly, because this is not the area where I am expert. I am trying to point out to you that your posts are unconvincing to someone like me because they're riddled with straw men, appeals to authority, and other logical fallacies.

If you want me to make a point regarding audio, it's that there is plenty of dynamic range in CD's. I know this because I have a CD that, if I am listening to it at normal listening volumes, there is a section where suddenly a horn plays at such a volume that it causes me physical pain. Again, this is contained within the 16-bits of a CD. If that CD can fit within its dynamic range very quiet sounds, and also at the same volume on my amplifier it can hurt my ears then why would I need more? To hurt my ears more?

Instead of responding to this with your typical explanations of why I must take everything you say at face value because of who you are rather than the merits of your argument, or to promote my purchasing of papers for no other purposes than an internet argument, why don't you explain to me why I am mistaken. Why I need more bits than all the way up to physical pain from all the way down to extremely quite sections also contained on that CD. If you need to know what I am talking about, the one I always think of is on Ella and Louis, the tack is Isn't This a Lovely Day, around 4:15. I love this album and am so used to this part that I don't have to look up from my work, I instinctually reach over and turn down the volume as I approach this point in the song.

Yes, we can push fidelity of audio way, way down. An MP3 at 128 kbps will be transparent to vast majority of public and many audiophiles for that matter. Better yet, at highest level, a lossy codec can fool even the best of the audiophiles. So the point you are trying to make is not in dispute in that sense.

What you are not considering is what I have said repeatedly: a channel needs to be transparent for all people and all content. That is my standard of reference. It is something we can achieve today. It takes content that is not butchered and hardware implementations that are right.

While you may not be able to hear lossy codec degradations a few of us can. I have post countless blind listening test showing this. I have also done it with high-res vs CD rate. So when you walk around and say things like the OP, you better indicate that your paper napkin math excludes critical listeners, some content and some equipment. In that case, you better say lossy compression is good enough, because that would be true of that too.

In summary, I am very aware of your position and knowledge. What you are not aware of is my position and knowledge. If you want to get close to what I know, you need to start reading and understanding incredible body of research that is published that never makes it to forums.

You have clearly demonstrated that both you don't know my position and knowledge, and that you have a wildly inflated sense of your own. For starters you seemed to have jumped from the topic, telling me that the OP is wrong (the OP being about 24-bit music, and you saying that the OP is a frequently stated myth) and now you're telling me about lossy compression, which I never mentioned once in this thread. Maybe you read me talking about the bit-rate of the Opus files on my phone - but I never brought that up to you, you're bringing that up now. As an aside, I'd love to see you in a double blind test of Opus vs your format of choice where there was an actual impartial referee to keep you honest.

For my own purposes, I don't care about ABX ability. I care about music and I find the topics here interesting - mainly because I was once duped by drivel when I knew even less than I do now about music formats - and I'm a bit of a gear head. I never brought this up, you've put those words in my mouth. All I did was to point out to you that you obfuscate every single argument made against your own. I suspect that is intentional.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #4,746 of 7,175
It's really kind of comical to keep trotting back to the same paper over and over again when any of us can walk over to our shelf full of CDs and quickly find proof that redbook has ample dynamic range. It makes me wonder what kind of person would be taken in by an argument like this. Probably someone with very little technical knowledge so the appeal to authority might have weight, and someone with no real interest in listening to music so they wouldn't have personal experience to contradict the hairbrained theories. The kind of person who hires someone to put together a hideously expensive stereo system for them that looks impressive and never gets used much. I knew someone like that once. His speakers were over six feet tall and the only thing he had to play on them was Mannheim Steamroller albums.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,748 of 7,175
...any of us can walk over to our shelf full of CDs and quickly find proof that redbook has ample dynamic range...

BUT I HAVE PRESENTED PEER REVIEWED RESEARCH WITH OVER 60 CITATIONS CONTAINED IN THE PAPER, YOU DIDN'T PROVIDE A CITATION FOR YOUR TRIP TO THE CD RACK!!!!!!!!!

...The kind of person who hires someone to put together a hideously expensive stereo system for them...

Also, the kind that sell and install those systems. Just saying.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4,749 of 7,175
Just experienced a horrible 80s flashback of being tortured with Steamroller Christmas music...
oh god no, I remember those days when working at those shops that played christmas music 24.7 after thanksgiving and for a whole month straight.

Would make any sane person go on a killing spree towards the north pole.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,750 of 7,175
It's really kind of comical to keep trotting back to the same paper over and over again when any of us can walk over to our shelf full of CDs and quickly find proof that redbook has ample dynamic range. It makes me wonder what kind of person would be taken in by an argument like this. Probably someone with very little technical knowledge so the appeal to authority might have weight, and someone with no real interest in listening to music so they wouldn't have personal experience to contradict the hairbrained theories. The kind of person who hires someone to put together a hideously expensive stereo system for them that looks impressive and never gets used much. I knew someone like that once. His speakers were over six feet tall and the only thing he had to play on them was Mannheim Steamroller albums.

Years ago around year 2000 when I was working in the acoustics lab of an university, there was a guy in our lab doing his "civil service" because he didn't go to army. He was into quality sound reproduction and knew a high end dealer who was selling a pair of Duntech Princess speakers (numbered 007A and 007B I recall), but the client wanted to hear those speakers in a good acoustic environment, so the civil service guy arranged him the opportunity to bring the gear to the listening room of our lab with excellent acoustics for the client to hear. The system:

Duntech Princess speakers
Bow Wizard CD player
Tact Millennium digital amp
Some "High end" cables and interconnectors. CD player connected to amp digitally.​

Needless to say the system sounded amazing in the listening room with excellent acoustics. I brought my best friend from another lab to the listening room to hear this system. We had fun when the seller of the system was listening to the system moving his head side to side while commenting: "Something is wrong! The sound isn't coming over!" Well, I found the system excellent and I spend the next weekend in the listening room listening to my favorite music (Alone! Nobody else bothered to use the opportunity). Elgar's The Apostles, Op. 49 (Boult) got a stunning big presentation! The only negative thing about this system was that the CD player was picky. I had trouble playing some of my discs, with were scratch free and played perfectly with my own cheapo Denon I had back then. Next monday the system was gone and I don't even remember what the client thought about the speakers.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #4,751 of 7,175
You guys keep using this "vast majority of situations." Where is the data to back it? How hard have people/OP looked? Who here knew about he research I have been presenting?

Do you know that peer review reports of recent tests show detection of downsampled high-resolution music? Like this: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-resolution-audio-does-it-matter.11/

And what is with "playing games?" I have proposed no new methodology on my own. I have shown you research from multiple peer reviewed journal research papers that use the identical methodology: finding threshold of detection and comparing with peak music in real life to determine dynamic range. This is it not a game. It is how to do this.

We have a responsibility to not cheat the membership from this data by constantly mispositioning it.

I don't know how many times I need to repeat this: you have no idea how loud peak 120 db is. It is not what you think it is. Your ideas are all based on slow averaging db meters used for noise pollution in workplaces. Don't you think the research papers would be full of warnings if you were right?

What kills your hearing is not a peak here and there anyway. What kills your hearing is the loudness compression and forces the peaks and valleys to be so close together. That then causes the *average* loudness to be close to peak SPL and then you do have to worry. Such is not the case in well recorded music.

And any rate, I am pretty sure people coming reading this forum are not here to be warned about listening too loud.

What we here for is because OP told us this:

I have shown you noise floor of recording spaces that is at the threshold of hearing. And we have measurements of peak music in the same rooms in excess of 120 dB. That makes the statement in yellow total folklore and nonsense.

You agree that neither OP nor anyone else has presented one bit of research that validates that, yes? I mean that is not a small difference. We are talking about claimed 60 db to > 120 db!!!

Am I the only one here who cares about us not saying things that are so, so wrong?
my idea of peak amplitude is based on a voltage RMS and a device of known sensitivity. how much time the signal will spend at 0dB depends on the music, not on me. but you're half right about me not knowing how loud it is with a proper reference, I never test for anything past 105dB, only rarely listen to music that will peak at 90dB, and I've started to bring my earplugs even to the theater nowadays just in case it's one of those movies.
as you have the er4sr, it comes with a custom certificate giving you the loudness to expect at 1khz into 0.2v. so it's not too hard to work it backward by measuring the voltage output if you don't have a calibrated mic to use IEMs. as a full doubling of the voltage is only +6dB, you don't even have to bother measuring the amp into the proper load. the potential change should still get us real close to the actual value(at least just as close as pushing the IEM further down the ear canal).

I say game because you take factual information obtained under hyper specific conditions, and decide that it now applies to consumers listening to music on a playback system. we're not contesting the papers(at least not all of them), we're contesting your tendency to pick an extreme and decide that the conclusions are systematically relevant for music listening. I'm sure you're well aware of the risks when taking conclusions outside of the conditions used to obtain them.
I guess I can put my issues with you under 2 categories:
1/ extreme circumstances that could apply to music listening but are very unlikely to actually happen with normal listening of random albums.
2/ extreme hearing thresholds obtained outside of music listening conditions.

for 1/ our disagreement is about how inclusive of all the possible circumstance you want to be. we don't disagree on the test results or how more than 16/44 is necessary for total audible transparency under all possible circumstances(including crazy listening habits and non musical content).
for 2/ now I believe you're just wrong in your approach. wrong because you're not proving anything when taking conditions that aren't music listening. and wrong because for most variables, it is easy to achieve one or 2 orders of magnitude better so long as we use a nominal test signal under nominal conditions instead of actual musical content. and that can be demonstrated for most variables I believe. a quiet test signal is not going to be as audible alone as it will be mixed with music. so I feel that it is wrong to just assume a listening test is a listening test is a listenin...
and no, people shouldn't have to listen at 120dB peak to make a point about audible transparency. many people here spend more than an hour a day listening to music, many have no idea how loud they're going, when you say they don't come here to be told how loud to listen, I again disagree energetically. I imagine that many people are hurting their ears and aren't aware of it. posting ideas about how live event levels are fine for everyday use at home is not alright. this is a pubic forum, not AES, people know what they know and need to be constantly reminded of the potential dangers of listening too loud for too long. in your mind you have that one crazy dynamic track with crazy loud passages and crazy quiet passages, but what happens when the next track has some Justin bieber level of compression and the average SPL level is at 110dB? and what happens when the same guy spent 40mn with his IEMs in the morning and same coming back at the end of the day, with music pushed to cover the noises, is it still fine to enjoy a full album set with peaks at 120dB? it's a crappy idea to suggest that it is alright. and as far as I know, ideal listening conditions (aside from specific dynamic stuff), is around 60-65dB before the stapedius muscle contracts. I have no paper on that, it's just something I've read a few times as a suggestion for critical music listening, and tend to agree with it based on my very subjective impressions. just like the idea that listening to flat speakers let us perceive the most of a track. we can think of many counter examples of course, but in general I suspect it is a correct assumption.

as for highres, I'm with @RRod, if it's the same price I'm fine with all resolutions and all formats and all kinds of dither. when I want smaller stuff I make them myself and everybody is happy.

Gregorio mentioned 60dB as something we would almost never pass on recorded albums. I have a few tracks going beyond so it's not a strict limit for sure. but it was never intended to be, as some random guy can always go and make a CD with silence and then 0DB signals. so I don't see the point of taking his sentence too literally. I believe the most I've found was near 70dB when I was looking for that specifically one or 2 years ago in my library. and of course most of what I have, contains far less variations. the quiet passages are often 30dB below the average loudness which is logical as it's enough to feel quiet yet still clearly audible. so it makes sense to me to have albums made that way for the average consumer to enjoy it without having to become a human compressor holding the volume knob throughout the song. anyway, with my anecdotal little life, I feel inclined to agree with his number despite having found more myself. not as an absolute, but as a realistic expression of what we're likely to encounter.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #4,752 of 7,175
mom there's an evil person on the internet that wants to put 120dB in my ears !! Please don't, I can barely stand 90dB as it is...and most classical music is already uncomfortable to me as the dynamic range is just too large already...I'd rather have more compression :headphones:

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #4,753 of 7,175
mom there's an evil person on the internet that wants to put 120dB in my ears !! Please don't, I can barely stand 90dB as it is...and most classical music is already uncomfortable to me as the dynamic range is just too large already...I'd rather have more compression :headphones:

Have you ever listened to a very dynamic recording with IEMs? Getting hit with a trumpet suddenly can be...not fun.

And yeah, you can damage your hearing, if you love music, why would you want to diminish your ability to listen to it?

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,755 of 7,175
I was NOT being sarcastic I hate very dynamic records. I used to be a violin player and the idea of covering the full dynamic range of the instrument from a close position in a single track would be interresting for a demo, but no way I'd listen to that on a daily basis.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding, the line about mom and the evil guy got me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back