24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,456 of 7,175
:unamused:
Is that not exactly what you've been clamoring for? Do you really expect that to sound good?

That emoji is the closest I could find to 'OOH LA-LAA' :)

It is indicative of what digital can more than accommodate, if it were allowed to.

And I am not the only one "clamoring" for better fidelity in mass produced recordings lately. This is not my 'lone crusade', as many on here, in Gearslutz, Steve Hoffman forums, and rec.audio.pro(Usenet) have insinuated.

Now am I more vocal about it than others?

Someone has to be. This cause is worth it!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,457 of 7,175
:astonished:
Could that be from a certain Telarc Tchaikovsky release?

No, the context of the cannons isn't so cruel. This is Jón Leifs' Saga Symphony. Look it up; eClassical gives free previews of everything. It was recorded on one of these. There's some extra percussion in that hit that really give it a strong metallic punch. Good times! Leifs is a composer who wreaks havoc with volume normalization algorithms.
:unamused:
Is that not exactly what you've been clamoring for? Do you really expect that to sound good?

It sounds great if you're willing to take the hit…

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,458 of 7,175
That emoji is the closest I could find to 'OOH LA-LAA' :)

It is indicative of what digital can more than accommodate, if it were allowed to.

And I am not the only one "clamoring" for better fidelity in mass produced recordings lately. This is not my 'lone crusade', as many on here, in Gearslutz, Steve Hoffman forums, and rec.audio.pro(Usenet) have insinuated.

Now am I more vocal about it than others?

Someone has to be. This cause is worth it!

One of your posts was just removed, probably because of your expression of violence. You have crossed the line from 'vocal' to irrational temper tantrum. I've found that the louder and angrier a person gets, the more shallow the substance of their argument, otherwise they'd fall back on that instead.

I also noticed you ignored my statement regarding the waveform in question. You're back to speaking in pure hypotheticals. You will not admit that there is such a thing as too much dynamic range, and that makes you an absolutist, a zealot, or an ideologue... not a creator, or even a connoisseur.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,459 of 7,175
One of your posts was just removed, probably because of your expression of violence. You have crossed the line from 'vocal' to irrational temper tantrum. I've found that the louder and angrier a person gets, the more shallow the substance of their argument, otherwise they'd fall back on that instead.

I also noticed you ignored my statement regarding the waveform in question. You're back to speaking in pure hypotheticals. You will not admit that there is such a thing as too much dynamic range, and that makes you an absolutist, a zealot, or an ideologue... not a creator, or even a connoisseur.

Never heard your mom say that to you and a sibling? She'd love to "knock your heads together" for something or other you might've done in your spare time together? lol Older than me, that expression, for sure! lol

Now as far as what you said about that waveform? Sure! If one has equipment with the chutzpah to reproduce it faithfully.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,462 of 7,175
if when playing a song you feel the urge to reach and change the volume halfway through, in my book that doesn't show good mastering. on the contrary, I will think the guy was incompetent for not understanding that variations were too wild for proper enjoyment of both passages.
just trying to think about stuff I have with wild changes, I fall on classical music where I don't see the issue because the albums are usually not overly compressed so there isn't much to cry about in the first place. and I find mostly old albums where several aspects of the mastering were just different from what they are today. it was fine to have a full song recorded with peaks at -20dB, it was fine to have voices panned 100% on one side, it was fine to have long and very slow start... for better or for worst the world is changing, our consumer's habits have changed too.
anyway if I take something like Locomotive Breath, the decay of the piano notes at the beginning seems to go about 60dB below some of the true peaks in the song. to me that's already an extreme, if I set the volume level for the intro, then the rest ends up loud for my taste, and if I just keep the volume like I have it most of the time, then the piano is really quiet and the decay is something I won't really notice, well recorded or not. this here is a very personal opinion, but I don't desire wider variations on a song, most of the time I'll wish for less.

on the event that some album requires more than 16bit do properly record various parts at various sound levels, then I'm tempted to suggest to release it in 24bit only and good luck to the listeners. I don't see how even those weirdo albums make a case for not using 16bit for what clearly doesn't need more bits for the music content when even the quiet passages are background hiss at -60 or -70dB.

about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza courageously fighting the loudness war by attacking anything that moves, again, try to have a real look at what you're fighting. dynamic compression is a welcome part of mastering, not some evil giant. how it's abused is sad but you guys have such a single minded look on things that even while being against the loudness war, people end up arguing against you.

"the dignity of truth is lost with much protesting". ^_^
and yes I just happened to look at the topic when the regrettable post happened. we all get mad when we're passionate about things, going often too far myself, I try to forgive others so that they'll forgive me later. I hope you can see it for such a momentary lapse in self control, and forgive. of course if things have to stay that heated, I'll go get a grown up to sort things out for good.

now if we could go back to discussing audio instead of people, that would make me happy.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,463 of 7,175
and yes I just happened to look at the topic when the regrettable post happened. we all get mad when we're passionate about things, going often too far myself, I try to forgive others so that they'll forgive me later. I hope you can see it for such a momentary lapse in self control, and forgive. of course if things have to stay that heated, I'll go get a grown up to sort things out for good.

now if we could go back to discussing audio instead of people, that would make me happy.

Agreed. Good quote. I am over it. Water under the bridge. Let's get back to substance.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,464 of 7,175
if when playing a song you feel the urge to reach and change the volume halfway through, in my book that doesn't show good mastering. on the contrary, I will think the guy was incompetent for not understanding that variations were too wild for proper enjoyment of both passages.
just trying to think about stuff I have with wild changes, I fall on classical music where I don't see the issue because the albums are usually not overly compressed so there isn't much to cry about in the first place. and I find mostly old albums where several aspects of the mastering were just different from what they are today. it was fine to have a full song recorded with peaks at -20dB, it was fine to have voices panned 100% on one side, it was fine to have long and very slow start... for better or for worst the world is changing, our consumer's habits have changed too.
anyway if I take something like Locomotive Breath, the decay of the piano notes at the beginning seems to go about 60dB below some of the true peaks in the song. to me that's already an extreme, if I set the volume level for the intro, then the rest ends up loud for my taste, and if I just keep the volume like I have it most of the time, then the piano is really quiet and the decay is something I won't really notice, well recorded or not. this here is a very personal opinion, but I don't desire wider variations on a song, most of the time I'll wish for less.

on the event that some album requires more than 16bit do properly record various parts at various sound levels, then I'm tempted to suggest to release it in 24bit only and good luck to the listeners. I don't see how even those weirdo albums make a case for not using 16bit for what clearly doesn't need more bits for the music content when even the quiet passages are background hiss at -60 or -70dB.

about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza courageously fighting the loudness war by attacking anything that moves, again, try to have a real look at what you're fighting. dynamic compression is a welcome part of mastering, not some evil giant. how it's abused is sad but you guys have such a single minded look on things that even while being against the loudness war, people end up arguing against you.

"if when playing a song you feel the urge
to reach and change the volume halfway through,
in my book that doesn't show good mastering. on
the contrary, I will think the guy was incompetent
for not understanding that variations were too wild
for proper enjoyment of both passages.
"

That has more to do with inconsistent average levels(which we judge loudness mostly by) not with transients. A great recording has a steady average level, yet retains most of the transient attacks that help lend life to it, if left in. Slightly louder choruses, in the refrains between verses in a song, also give it life, and should not send someone scurrying for the volume control all the time.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,465 of 7,175
And for gegorio's and bigshot's information: there is no need to over-compress or peak-limit dynamic material to make it *fit* within the redbook palette.

Where did they ever say or imply that compression is to fit into 16 bit or that 16 bit is not enough for anything?

@gregorio , @bigshot , you have my sympathies. If I were you I'd probably hurt myself banging my head against the desk :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #4,468 of 7,175
[1] There is no "scamming" on equipment. I have $120 DACs that play DSD64.
[2] What we should all be bothered by is what your industry is delivering to us in that larger container. So far it looks like a ton of garbage in a number of instances. I sure as heck don't expect to pay more for high-res and then get handed tones from computer monitors as such inside it.
[3] Why not start a campaign in your industry to perform QC on what is produced?
[4] But yes, if I had any confidence that the people creating music understood noise shaping and utilized it correctly, you would kind of, sort of, have an argument. But I don't.
[5] Give me the 24 bits, and I can convert it to 16 bits with noise shaping if I want.
[5a] You see the message here? We want less finger in the soup that are not washed.

1. Let's say your $120 DAC plays audibly perfectly, noise and artefacts below -120dB. What about another DAC which also performs audibly perfectly, with artefacts below -120dB but costs $2k instead of $120? It's pretty much guaranteed that $2k DAC is being sold as having audibly superior performance but unless you're happy to pay an extra $1,880 just for a prettier case, how is that not an equipment scam?

2. Of course it's a ton of garbage, what did you expect? You wanted better fidelity, you're getting it, all of it; computer monitors, other electrical interference, mechanical noise from the musical instruments, a ton of garbage plus some small amount of probably the twentieth and higher harmonics of actual musical notes. I stated all this on this very thread more than 5 years ago! None of us engineers can hear anything up there, so how on earth can we process it? With 96/24, at least three quarters of the data we've recorded we can't hear. Heck, even with 16/44 we probably can't hear at least a quarter of it! There's little we can do about it, recording sessions have a flow, they are run around the talent, to encourage the best performance. Making the talent wait because of some serious technical issue can cause the talent to loose the vibe and if the talent happens to be a 100 piece orch, then it's disastrous but making them wait for a technical issue which isn't even remotely audible would be absolutely ridiculous!

3. Because I can't QC what I can't hear. There's more than enough to be concerned about in the audible range, I don't have time to worry about what's way, way outside of human hearing. If you don't like or want a ton of garbage, my advice is to try a low pass filter, if you set it at around 20kHz you'll get rid of most of the garbage and cause little/no damage to audible freqs!

4. Well, you've kind of/sort of answered one of my questions, yea! Now what about the next one, where noise-shaped dither is not used, why do you think it has not been used?

5. Fine, what about 32bit, you obviously want that because you quoted that you've got some? What about 64bit, that's what most commercial music is created in these days, don't you want that too? ...
5a. You see the message here? When does it end? Answer: It will never end! As long as audiophile manufacturers and content distributors can come up with marketing which audiophiles will believe, sample rates and bit depths will continue to increase, regardless of the fact that the music performance they think they're buying will occupy a smaller and smaller percentage of what they're buying and more and more of it will just be garbage, which fortunately they won't be able to hear anyway, unless it causes IMD of course but then that could be marketed as analogue sounding, yea!

G

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,469 of 7,175
Never implied at I was, and my use of that ancient phrase was in gest. I really do feel alone in forums like these when it comes to championing a balance between dynamics and overall loudness.

You are not alone, the problem is you are taking an absolutist perspective on a subject of balance, and it is frustrating the people who have to make decisions of balance every day. You think I am opposing you, but I champion quality mastering and dynamics too. I once started thread to analyze the quality of mastering (dynamics included) because I was frustrated with the quality out there. In retrospect, measuring or testing for mastering quality was too difficult, and looking at spectrograms, waveforms, and DR values (as well meaning as it was) didn't fully capture the quality of the mastering. Does it help? Sure, but if you aren't willing to listen to your ears first, there's no hope the numbers will guide you anywhere on their own. Look around. You think we all like compressed pop? No, but we don't like running for the remote either when a movie or opera gets way too loud. If you gave a more honest look at the people in these communities (all of us included), as well as taking a less ideological and more balanced perspective on your own ideals, you probably wouldn't feel so alienated and outcast. Quite the opposite, you'd realize this is a haven of people who truly love and respect audio.

Nov 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,470 of 7,175
Everything before Mt. Everest looks great.

He's got the whole Himalaya in there:
tracks002.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back