24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Oct 16, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #4,261 of 7,175
I hear you grecorio, but I was actually talking about differences in audio in general, not only bits and sample frequencies. These are in no way exact numbers, I tend to think like this:
5 % of differences people experience in audio are real
5 % of differences people experience in audio are real, but emphasized by placebo effect
90 % of differences people experience in audio are pure placebo and disappear in blind tests ...

I personally don't find such a huge generalisation useful, as it's actually misleading in many specific cases. In the case of 16 vs 24bit for example, or even hi-res in general. Where are those 5 or 10%, why have we never encountered them in any of the countless formal DB tests performed over many years? There's no reliable evidence (of which I'm aware) of even a single person being able to tell a difference, let alone 5 or 10%!

G

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,262 of 7,175
I tend to think that it's more a matter of thinking process than it is a statistical figure. Everyone who employs logical problem solving techniques get good results. Everyone who doesn't gets randomized results.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #4,263 of 7,175
I personally don't find such a huge generalisation useful, as it's actually misleading in many specific cases. In the case of 16 vs 24bit for example, or even hi-res in general. Where are those 5 or 10%, why have we never encountered them in any of the countless formal DB tests performed over many years? There's no reliable evidence (of which I'm aware) of even a single person being able to tell a difference, let alone 5 or 10%!

G

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: 16 vs 24bit is pretty much all in the 90 % while differences among loudspeakers "occupy" the 5 %. So, whenever you think you hear difference you should your placebo profile, say 5-5-90 and then think what is you are hearing differences of, is it loudspakers, cables, sample frequences or bit? Then you can go like this: Loudspeakers => yeah, the difference is real. Bits => it's placebo.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #4,264 of 7,175
You kind of answered your own question. People want excitement.

I hear you grecorio, but I was actually talking about differences in audio in general, not only bits and sample frequencies. These are in no way exact numbers, I tend to think like this:

5 % of differences people experience in audio are real
5 % of differences people experience in audio are real, but emphasized by placebo effect
90 % of differences people experience in audio are pure placebo and disappear in blind tests

"HI-RES" audio exploits that 90 % heavily. For golden ears 90 % is maybe "only" 70-80 %

Again, these numbers are not accurate nor do they come from any science studies. I just need "some reasonable" numbers to model the world and other people can use other numbers if they feel like it. Many people deny the existence of placebo effect and their "placebo profile" is 100-0-0 instead of 5-5-90 or 8-12-80. In Star Wars force is always with you. In real life placebo effect is always with us.
Those are very specific number for being "in no way exact", "not accurate nor coming from science studies".

We all have the need for reasonable numbers, but making stuff up doesn't differentiate true science from audiophoolery and marketing hype. That's what those guys do every day.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,265 of 7,175
Those are very specific number for being "in no way exact", "not accurate nor coming from science studies".

We all have the need for reasonable numbers, but making stuff up doesn't differentiate true science from audiophoolery and marketing hype. That's what those guys do every day.

You keep whining no matter what. I made clear these are not specific numbers and still you keep whining! No matter what I say or how I said it you need to whine about it. How about if I say it like this:

Very little of differences people experience in audio are real
Very little of differences people experience in audio are real, but emphasized by placebo effect
Most of differences people experience in audio are pure placebo and disappear in blind tests

What would you whine about that? I am curious...

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #4,266 of 7,175
97.6% of made up values are BS. ^_^

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #4,267 of 7,175
You keep whining no matter what. I made clear these are not specific numbers and still you keep whining! No matter what I say or how I said it you need to whine about it. How about if I say it like this:

Very little of differences people experience in audio are real
Very little of differences people experience in audio are real, but emphasized by placebo effect
Most of differences people experience in audio are pure placebo and disappear in blind tests

What would you whine about that? I am curious...
Making up a list of numbers to suit your own purpose. That's no different from marketing lies. Why bother? We already have plenty of marketing lies to contend with.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #4,269 of 7,175
They did a poll of people asking them if they were going to go to heaven. 80% of people said they were. When they asked those people how many other people were going to go to heaven, they said 20%. Math rarely adds up!

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,271 of 7,175
Screenshot_2017-10-17-12-56-13.png Sony's website is a great place to start checking out marketing too

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,273 of 7,175
What part of my body will I "feel every note" in?

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,275 of 7,175
Beethoven bit his piano to hear the music, right? Maybe we could come up with an audiophile dental appliance of some sort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back