24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
May 27, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,901 of 7,175
This then is a definition of marketing; A feature of no practical benefit, included for the sole purpose of misleading consumers by stating/implying that the feature is of practical benefit. This broadly agrees with both @StanD and @spruce music.

G

Yuri - he clearly stated his definition in his reply to you. Why are you asking him to repeat it .....

May 27, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3,902 of 7,175
Yuri - he clearly stated his definition in his reply to you. Why are you asking him to repeat it .....

Brooko,

Misleading is not marketing purpose. Misleading is illegal action. I don't like it too.

Marketing is one of terms, that have many definitions.

We can refer to Oxford dictionary, as example: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/marketing

But I heard very short and very exact, in my opinion, definition: "Marketing is any relations with customers".

It is spreading of any information, feedback, tech support, solving issues, product design direction, looking for new customers, work with customers, etc.
If you want long and successful relations with customers, misleading is not the best way for the marketing.

May 27, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #3,903 of 7,175
Marketing is one of terms, that have many definitions.

Correct and I gave one of those definitions. The definition of marketing I gave was the one to which my posts were refering, as you requested! Note that I stated "a definition of marketing" and not "the definition of marketing".

G

May 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,905 of 7,175
Yuri - I work in Sales & Marketing. But that makes no difference.

You asked Greg specifically for his definition of Marketing - and he gave it in relation to what people claiming the benefits of 32 bit audio are claiming (and his version in this case is one I agree with). He wasn't talking about that being the only definition of Marketing - just for this particular case. At least that's how I read it anyway.

They are making claims for a standard that has no benefit - not that I can see anyway. All seems to be is the classic case of bigger is better, the higher the number - the better it must be - right? Except when there are no benefits. Snake-oil is still snake-oil - no matter how your market it. Unfortunately the gullible will still also be the gullible. Its human nature.

May 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,906 of 7,175
Yuri - I work in Sales & Marketing. But that makes no difference.

You asked Greg specifically for his definition of Marketing - and he gave it in relation to what people claiming the benefits of 32 bit audio are claiming (and his version in this case is one I agree with). He wasn't talking about that being the only definition of Marketing - just for this particular case. At least that's how I read it anyway.

They are making claims for a standard that has no benefit - not that I can see anyway. All seems to be is the classic case of bigger is better, the higher the number - the better it must be - right? Except when there are no benefits. Snake-oil is still snake-oil - no matter how your market it. Unfortunately the gullible will still also be the gullible. Its human nature.

Brooko, me seems most peoples now is no so gullible. Because currently many information around.

For learning 32 bit advantages, need take certain scheme, algorithm, measurements and learn all it in complex. Otherwise we have endless discussion like "what better DSD or PCM?"

There may be case when 44 kHz/16 bit implemented better when 24 bit/192 kHz. But is is not reason consider, that 44 kHz/16 bit is enough. Because other 192 kHz/ 24 bit device may have better features, than first 44/16 one due wider technical abilities for developers.

Also any audio implementation stumbled about "threshold of audibility". One person claim that it is enough, other claim that not. And may both are right. I don't know how to correct compare 16 and 24 bit even.

As other example "enough or not", let me consider ultrasound. We can check right at home that we don't hear sound after 16 ... 20 kHz (with proper equipment, of course).
But there is researches about brain response to ultrasound. And I don't know what will tomorrow.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,907 of 7,175
It is argument in the discussion?
I want correct using of terms.
You could look that up yourself, the Internet has dictionaries, etc,, however, the below should define marketing in the context of this discussion.
"The development and implementation of a promotional strategy." In this case the deceptive promotion of products that offer no tangible value, done for the purpose of sales/revenue.

May 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #3,911 of 7,175
"Too often" is how many in numbers and how it calculated?
I'm not here to do a scientific study of marketing practices. If you are willing to fund that. I'm willing to give it a go. From a subjective standpoint, haven't you seen enough on the forums and adverts?

May 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,912 of 7,175
I'm not here to do a scientific study of marketing practices. If you are willing to fund that. I'm willing to give it a go. From a subjective standpoint, haven't you seen enough on the forums and adverts?

Not all is so as look subjectivelly.
I red somewhere, that 97% of car drivers consider their skills above middle level (I don't remember exact figures, but there was funny proportion) :)
Me seems, most of people doubt in advertising states.

May 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,913 of 7,175
Not all is so as look subjectivelly.
I red somewhere, that 97% of car drivers consider their skills above middle level (I don't remember exact figures, but there was funny proportion) :)
Me seems, most of people doubt in advertising states.
Perhaps that 97% is the result of marketing and adverts for sports cars. Same thing for overpriced boutique DACs, perhaps 97% of audiophiles believe they can hear the difference. Never underestimate the power of imagination.

May 27, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #3,915 of 7,175
I read about a study once a long time ago. They asked people if they thought they were going to heaven. 80% said yes they were. Then they asked them what percentage of other people did they think were going to heaven with them. They estimated 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back