24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jan 31, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,571 of 7,175
Proves your point how.  I think you need to read further and maybe others here can reeducate themselves since we are all so willing to learn.  This was not one test by the way.  This is data pulled from 18 studies.  The researcher himself decided he needed to start listening to 24bit audio due to this research.  If we want to trust scientists, maybe we should take one out of this researchers palybook and do some subjective 24bit listening and feel the AIR Man!!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,572 of 7,175
I've read most of those. Do I need to start quoting? (I fear it may exceed the character limit) Your own quote also proves it. "more than 50% of people that can DBT pick the higher than CD quality file". Well, if you have to guess if A or B is better your chances are exactly 50% which is also included in that study. Take a low sample (participants) and it might deviate more, pick a large sample it gets a lot more accurate, simple statistics. Also... saying "equipment back then was crap" is pure ignorance. I can name you amps that can beat the hell out of a lot of today's high ends. A lot of people are also going back to R2R DACs (another one of those threads I like to read here). Technology hasn't advanced that much in this field except for Class D.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,574 of 7,175
I am just tired of this kind of talk ruining it for those that want HiRes Audio.  That is all I am trying to say guys.  Stop ruining it for everyone interested.  

24bit audio is a sensory perceived experience, not necessarily an auditory one.  Again, it fills the space differently unachievable on headphones. Sorry but the truth.  Scientifically proven that waveforms at many frequencies cannot fully develop in an a headphone.  You won't get the sensation I get in my room or car.  

I get I can't hear above 20khz guys.  I know what sampling frequencies and bit depth refer to.  I have been reading about this stuff for 30 years.  Started spinning my brothers vinyl records when I was 5 years old.  Regardless of all the science I have read, I still know how to do subjective listening and make my own conclusions regardless of the science. 

Its so funny how these forums tend to not allow people to have their own opinion, but whenever someone tries to take "your" opinion from you, the world is going to end. 

It is prohibited to talk about this stuff scientifically anywhere else on the forum, and it will be deleted or banned based on the TOS.

Indeed, Head-Fi does not allow one to have ones opinion or facts mentioned outside of Sound Science. However, you are here and you are participating in this debate, so it's welcomed for you to explain why 24 bit audio can sound better and can continue this thread.

Anywhere else, you will be the only one not being insta-banned for voicing your opinions or facts, or everyone but you will be locked out of it. :D

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,575 of 7,175
You are missing the point of his research.  His point is how much people's perception improved after gaining some experience in how to listen better.  There is no such thing as golden ears.  But there are certainly trained ears.  He found trained ears did better than those that were untrained. If you don't know what you are supposed to perceive, your brain automatically focuses on the perception of something else.  Hence you are missing out on the feeling.  

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,576 of 7,175
A cherry-picked meta-analysis of a bunch of non-replicated studies that confounds bit depth with sample rate. Nothing to see here beyond the trolling at this point. Weren't you peacing-out, btw?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,577 of 7,175
  24bit Audio fills the air differently.  If you don't feel that, sorry you don't.  Many do.  

I just don't understand why people have to refute us ignorant people so much.  Why not just let us have our 24bit audio and leave it alone.  You don't have to buy it.  And in fact the cost of your 16bit files will just be less if there is higher bit depth/bit rate for more money. You need competition to bring your prices down.  

I understand the statements regarding Dolby Digital/DTS.  The movie industry forever has been doing anything they can to save space on physical media.  If the movie studios can get away with not lossy Dolby Digital but a 16bit uncompressed soundtrack as opposed to a 24bit uncompressed soundtrack, why wouldn't they save the space.  Space is a premium on disc and for a two hour movie, that is a considerable amount of space to use on something that has no sonic benefit. 

I use the analogy because many of you are listening to 24bit audio in movies but cannot acknowledge that this was a benefit to movie soundtracks. 

I am just tired of this kind of talk ruining it for those that want HiRes Audio.  That is all I am trying to say guys.  Stop ruining it for everyone interested.  Let us wear our Emperors clothes and stop trying to change my mine and many other peasants minds. You have your opinion.  Let us have ours.  

24bit audio is a sensory perceived experience, not necessarily an auditory one.  Again, it fills the space differently unachievable on headphones. Sorry but the truth.  Scientifically proven that waveforms at many frequencies cannot fully develop in an a headphone.  You won't get the sensation I get in my room or car.  

I get I can't hear above 20khz guys.  I know what sampling frequencies and bit depth refer to.  I have been reading about this stuff for 30 years.  Started spinning my brothers vinyl records when I was 5 years old.  Regardless of all the science I have read, I still know how to do subjective listening and make my own conclusions regardless of the science. 

Its so funny how these forums tend to not allow people to have their own opinion, but whenever someone tries to take "your" opinion from you, the world is going to end. 

the bold part is you admitting that you can't even read the name of the section where you're posting.
coming in this section and whine that we don't let you have your 24bit audio and leave it alone, is the pot calling the kettle black. why can't a clear subjectivist let us have this small space of objectivity and leave it alone?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,578 of 7,175
the bold part is you admitting that you can't even read the name of the section where you're posting.
coming in this section and whine that we don't let you have your 24bit audio and leave it alone, is the pot calling the kettle black. why can't a clear subjectivist let us have this small space of objectivity and leave it alone?

Lol.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #3,579 of 7,175
  You guys are so wrapped up in any scientific article that refutes 24bit as much as you can as opposed to doing some subjective listening yourself. You should all know by now measurements and graphs do not necessarily equate to what we actually hear.  Have you guys not seen the research done by guys doing measurements that realize their measurements and science does not mean everything. We still have to listen. And not just on headphones.  

Everyone's ears are different.  Apparently mine are much different than those here as well.  And I love listening to crystal clear transparent 24bit FLAC files through these wonderful ears of mine at 90-100db.  Sounds AMAZING!!!. Live on 24bit HiRes Audio!!!

Hey, can you just upload a foobar abx log?

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,580 of 7,175
  [1] Wow.  It is evidently apparant that many people on this thread have lost quite a bit of their hearing.  Must be, otherwise they could actually hear 24bit. [2]  I am really sorry to hear that you are not able to hear what I hear.   

1. Yep, my ears are so bad that I make a good living from them.

2. I'm not, if I were able to hear what you hear then I wouldn't make any money at all, let alone a good living!

You want to delude yourself, that's fine. You want to ignore the science without which you wouldn't have any recordings or anything to play them back on, OK that's rather silly but still fine. You want to come here to the science forum and talk about how you can hear magic, fairies and Jesus and quote science you don't understand and dismiss the rest of science, that's not fine. You know that's not fine because you're in the SCIENCE forum, and you call us not cool, sheesh! Do everyone a favour, including yourself, use this forum to learn how the stuff you're listening to actually works, or leave!!

G

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,581 of 7,175
This makes no sense.  You feel the thread owner created this thread to only hear people agree with him/her that there is no benefit to 24bit over 16bit?  Come on.  The thread was clearly started to get a rise out of anyone that does hear/feel a difference with hi res audio only to coordinate a lot of minions here in order to attack anyone that does not agree it is a myth.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,582 of 7,175
That's not really the case here. It's a science forum and you are expected to reason with us using science. Saying you have magical ears is no argument. If you really want to convince people that there is actually a difference then you have to come and say something like: "hey folks, forget all the measurements you know, here's a new, unconventional method that shows the difference." Inconclusive studies and others that prove our point won't really help.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,583 of 7,175
  You feel the thread owner created this thread to only hear people agree with him/her that there is no benefit to 24bit over 16bit?  Come on.  The thread was clearly started to get a rise out of anyone that does hear/feel a difference [blah, blah, blah]

So, not only are you apparently incapable of understanding a very simple explanation of why 24bit as a music distribution format is nothing more than a marketing ploy but now you're completely making up nonsense as to why this thread was started. AGAIN, if you want to remain ignorant and deluded that's up to you but don't try and defend your ignorance/delusions in this forum by attacking everyone else who is not so ignorant/delusional!!!

G

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,584 of 7,175
  24bit Audio fills the air differently.  If you don't feel that, sorry you don't.  Many do.

Yes, some feel that way. Not "many" with respect to the total population of those listening to digital audio. 24bit Audio doesn't "fill the air" at all. It's very analog before it gets even close to the air.
I understand the statements regarding Dolby Digital/DTS.  The movie industry forever has been doing anything they can to save space on physical media.  If the movie studios can get away with not lossy Dolby Digital but a 16bit uncompressed soundtrack as opposed to a 24bit uncompressed soundtrack, why wouldn't they save the space.  Space is a premium on disc and for a two hour movie, that is a considerable amount of space to use on something that has no sonic benefit. 

Space for audio on BD is no longer at a premium. The above logic has no basis in reality for the BD medium.
I use the analogy because many of you are listening to 24bit audio in movies but cannot acknowledge that this was a benefit to movie soundtracks. 

I'll defer to gregorio on this too, but in post 24bits does provide a lot more room for manipulation, but it's not base quality issue. It's well known that for release, 16 would be enough, but there's also no need to truncate if the original is already 24.
Also keep in mind there are no ADCs...and I mean there's like one exotic exception...that actually produce a true 24 bit dynamic range. All are limited to substantially fewer bits of DR, like 20. The words dribbling out are 24 bits, the bottom 4-6 bits are all noise.

Science has not proven that 24 bit audio is even clearly discernable, though.
  Proves your point how.  I think you need to read further and maybe others here can reeducate themselves since we are all so willing to learn.  This was not one test by the way.  This is data pulled from 18 studies.  

The conclusions, specifically, were, "In summary, these results imply that, though the effect is perhaps small and difficult to detect, the perceived fidelity of an audio recording and playback chain is affected by operating beyond conventional consumer oriented levels."

Note specifically, "small and difficult to detect", and that percieved fidelity is affected.  He didn't say "improved".  If you look at the studies cited in the paper, you'll also find that not a single person was able to detect hi-res every time.  Not one set of "golden ears" in the whole bunch.  

Now, if you want to apply the results in the paper and face value, then go on to claim emphatically that hi-res (not 24bit alone, BTW) is somehow a night/day thing that everybody on the planet can hear, well the paper doesn't say that at all, quite the opposite.   The results in the paper are 3% better than flipping a coin.  

The researcher himself decided he needed to start listening to 24bit audio due to this research.

No, Reiss already held these positions:
• Co-Chair of the Audio Engineering Society (AES) Technical Committee on High-Resolution Audio
• General Chair of the 31st AES Conference; New Directions in High Resolution Audio, 2007
Pretty sure he'd been listening to high-res for a bit. If anything, those positions imply a bias.
 If we want to trust scientists, maybe we should take one out of this researchers palybook and do some subjective 24bit listening and feel the AIR Man!!!  

If you want to really feel the air, go hang gliding. Trust me on that one.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,585 of 7,175

I just don't understand why people have to refute us ignorant people so much.  Why not just let us have our 24bit audio and leave it alone.  You don't have to buy it.  And in fact the cost of your 16bit files will just be less if there is higher bit depth/bit rate for more money. You need competition to bring your prices down.  

I am just tired of this kind of talk ruining it for those that want HiRes Audio.  That is all I am trying to say guys.  Stop ruining it for everyone interested.  Let us wear our Emperors clothes and stop trying to change my mine and many other peasants minds. You have your opinion.  Let us have ours.  

You said it well. Wait, small correction: let you have your opinions, let us have our facts. I haven't seen one single fact from you. 24 bits filling the air differently? Are you sure my friend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back