24bit vs 16bit: How big is the difference?
Apr 18, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #361 of 773
I agree with Bigshot here, 50dB range is normally fine for me, too much more than that and I'm reaching for the volume control. There are some instances where I'm happy with a bigger dynamic range and the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th is one of them. The reason being that the low frequencies need more power to subjectively appear the same volume. So when you've got the huge bass note joining the rest of the strings a couple of mins from the end, you need a lot of energy (and therefore dynamic range) to represent the climax.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #363 of 773
I think that the people who want more dynamics than the 90dB or so of redbook just don't know what 90dB sounds like. It's not just abstract numbers. Those numbers represent sound. I learned early on to try to equate specs to what they sound like in the real world. I discovered that the fraction of a percentage of THD that I was sweating didn't mean a damn.

See ya
Steve

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #364 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by OblivionLord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that it's all totally subjective. Not everyone's ears have the the same capabilities but we can surly go off of a standard.

The difficulty is worse than that because it's not just people's hearing but also the systems and environment in which they're listening. Producers and engineers have to put out a product which can be appreciated by as many people as possible. So large dynamic ranges on CDs are off the menu, unless there is a world wide general improvement in the systems which most people use to listen to their music. As a general rule, people's equipment and listening environment are currently the most limiting factors. There's no point in us putting out a product that only audiophiles can appreciate, at the expense of the vast majority of the buying public.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #365 of 773
Wider dynamics would not make the mix any better for an audiophile. If you have to jump up and change the volume every few minutes for a normal stereo, you'd have to do the same on an audiophile system. The reason most mixes sit around 40dB is because that is what sounds good to human ears.

See ya
Steve

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #367 of 773
I'm surprised this discussion raged on as long as it did after I gave up.

A few weeks ago I got the chance to listen to a comparison of SACD and redbook from my EMU-0404 on VMPS RM40 speakers.

Bottom line. You are near as can’t hear if you can not discern the difference between high resolution audio and redbook.

I also did a more careful analysis of the frequency spectrum of the high resolution audio tracks using Matlab. The results were the same. The frequency content is obviously distorted in the 16/44 audio. It is unable to resolve details in the audible spectrum that 24/96 audio can.

The science confirms what my ears hear.

I don’t know how to make this anymore clear. As far as I’ve seen, I’m the only who has posted solid data which backs-up my assertions.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #368 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago I got the chance to listen to a comparison of SACD and redbook from my EMU-0404 on VMPS RM40 speakers.

You are hearing mastering differences.

Ever compare 16/44.1 to DSD cut from the same master?

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #369 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are hearing mastering differences.

Ever compare 16/44.1 to DSD cut from the same master?

Exactly. Most of the differences between dts and dd tracks come from completely different masters.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #370 of 773
Quote:

I'm surprised this discussion raged on as long as it did after I gave up.

Bottom line. You are near as can’t hear if you can not discern the difference between high resolution audio and redbook.

Interesting, your results simply do not agree with a large scale carefully controlled study in a peer reviewed journal.

Can I ask you for some more details ?

How did you downsample the SACD to 16/44.1 for comparison ?

Quote:

I also did a more careful analysis of the frequency spectrum of the high resolution audio tracks using Matlab. The results were the same. The frequency content is obviously distorted in the 16/44 audio. It is unable to resolve details in the audible spectrum that 24/96 audio can.

Can you describe how you did this ? - what procedure did you use to get the two samples into Matlab - what were the measured distortion figures you found ? Matlab is just a computational environment and language in't it ? what audio analysing functions does it support ?

More to the point can you posts the results including waveforms and spectral analyses - what level of zoom did you have to use to see visible differences in the wave forms ?. When I compared 24/96 and 16/44.1 versions of the same track they were indistinguishable until you zoomed to sample level exactly as you would expect, zooming more made both into straight lines.

Quote:

The science confirms what my ears hear.

Please can you provide the data to support your assertions , so far you have just spoken in broad terms, thanks.

Quote:

I don’t know how to make this anymore clear. As far as I’ve seen, I’m the only who has posted solid data which backs-up my assertions.

I do not see any real data in your current post , if you are going to argue you are using data to support your case you need to provide the data.

I assume you are not referring to the stuff you posted previously.
Thanks.

Now if it is data you are interested in. In 2007 Meyer and Moran of the BAS ran a large number of blind listening tests using a variety of systems and material and listeners. Their paper is avalable from the AES at $5 (for members, student membership is $30) it is very interesting reading.

Key findings, not one subject (n = 60) was capable of detecting the difference between high res and 16/44.1 at a sufficient level of confidence (95%), the total # of trials was 554 and correct answers 276 (49.819%). Subjects did up to 10 trials. One subject scored 8/10, two scored 7/10, no others scored even 7/10, even these few high performers are results what you would expect by chance with a large enough sample. Engineers and "Audiophiles" did slightly better at 52.7%. Females did worse at 38%, those with better high frequency hearing did worse(45.3%) as did younger listeners. There was no effect due to different systems.

Now here is the kicker, Meyer and Moran did not even use noise-shaping on the A/D/A stage - this is handicapping the A/D/A stage big time, giving the High-res the best possible hand (metaphorically speaking).

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #371 of 773
Quote:

If you are interested, you can search the archive for my posts about a comparison between SACD and redbook that I did. When I finally located an SACD that was both DSD and had a redbook layer with no mastering differences, I couldn't hear a difference between layers.

See ya
Steve

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #372 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are interested, you can search the archive for my posts about a comparison between SACD and redbook that I did. When I finally located an SACD that was both DSD and had a redbook layer with no mastering differences, I couldn't hear a difference between layers.

See ya
Steve

This was of course a carefully proctored blind test, yes ?
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #373 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I learned early on to try to equate specs to what they sound like in the real world. I discovered that the fraction of a percentage of THD that I was sweating didn't mean a damn.

So did I. I discovered that IMD levels in even the best dynamic, electrostatic, or piezo drivers are entirely unacceptable at medium-high volume levels, and that numbers given for THD and IMD (both of which typically tend to be about the same level in any given driver) are always measured in "best case scenarios" to give low values. Worst case scenarios (which happen to be the most common scenario for the type of music I listen to - during a bass drum kick while there's activity around 2-3khz) are much, much worse, and are easily audible, particularly for IMD.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #374 of 773
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #375 of 773
Quote:

No I'm not.

It's a hybrid SACD. Analog recording. Same remastered audio. Separate layers have Redbook and DSD.

Quote:

Yes. The difference is night and day. It's not at all subtle.

So, you ran some blind tests to prove this ?

I am puzzled, your PC CD/DVD drive can read SACD ? - I didnt think that was possible ?, also I did not think the 0404 supported DSD anyway
confused.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back