240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work!
Jan 19, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #61 of 195
Rockbox has a pretty good comparision of different DAP HDD types:

HardDriveReplacement < Main < TWiki

The 160GB players should have a CE-ATA connector, whereas the 120GB players should have ZIF connector. Also, the 240GB Toshiba is 8mm thick, so keep that in mind. I don't know if an 80GB iPod Video, with its wacky cluster size, could be upgraded to a larger HDD. I do know that iRivers and Gigabeats have been successfully upgraded to 120GB, at least using Rockbox.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #62 of 195
Could you elaborate more on the "wacky cluster size" of the 80gb model?

Would there be any point to even try upgrading my 30gb ipod video to a 120gb hard drive then?

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #63 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly I went with this back and forth w/ Vinnie. The problem was the connector type changed, so I searched for a long time and eventually found a connector that Vinnie thought could work. However we never tried it because it was a bit large and in Vinnie's opinion the sound of the 160 Gb Classic was very close to the 4 Gen iModded iPod so I went that route. Sorry.

wow, so he thinks it offers similar sound quality, eh! so what do you think - have you compared the two? can you run the classic sans amp then, or does it have a line out and does it give better results run like this? if the sound quality is comparble to an iMod i wonder how they achieved that.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #64 of 195
yes well vinnie has contradicted himself on this depending on what he is trying to do. in a post I read about the matter it said far from this. in fact it said that it wasnt worth modding because the classic didnt sound anywhere near the quality of the 5.5G and there wasnt nearly as much stuff in the signal path to remove, so there wouldnt be much improvement if he did mod it. I see people misunderstanding this as him saying its not worth doing because the classic sounds as good as the IMOD all the time.

i'll have a search and see if I can find the post

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #65 of 195
here we go to me this says far from the classic sounding as good as the IMOD. it says the opposite. perhaps the confusion comes from hopeful and jealous classic users wanting to believe he feels its not necessary because it sounds so marvelous already.

IMO the IMOD/DIYMOD is still the undisputed king of ipod SQ only some iRiver via optical transportable rigs have the potential to knock the IMOD/DIYMOD->VCAP->amp off its pedistal IMO

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #66 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you elaborate more on the "wacky cluster size" of the 80gb model?

Would there be any point to even try upgrading my 30gb ipod video to a 120gb hard drive then?

Sorry, my bad - I meant sector size.

The 5.5G 80GB iPod Video doesn't use the standard 512K sector size for these 1.8 inch hard drives, it uses 2048K. The Toshiba drive it uses (MK8010GAH) seems to be specifically designed for this iPod - I tried several of them on other players and a laptop, and they refused to work. With that in mind, I don't know if the player itself can use a drive other than the MK8010GAH. I never actually tried, as I sold all my iPod's before I got my 120GB HDD.

I believe only the 80GB 5.5G has this setup - the 30GB may not, nor the 60GB. The 6G's I don't have any clue about.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #67 of 195
Well if that's the case then it might be more beneficial to use the 30gb 5.5g and just put a bigger backplate with a 120gb hard drive in there.

Intriguing.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #68 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes well vinnie has contradicted himself on this depending on what he is trying to do. in a post I read about the matter it said far from this. in fact it said that it wasnt worth modding because the classic didnt sound anywhere near the quality of the 5.5G and there wasnt nearly as much stuff in the signal path to remove, so there wouldnt be much improvement if he did mod it. I see people misunderstanding this as him saying its not worth doing because the classic sounds as good as the IMOD all the time.
i'll have a search and see if I can find the post

Quote:

here we go to me this says far from the classic sounding as good as the IMOD. it says the opposite. perhaps the confusion comes from hopeful and jealous classic users wanting to believe he feels its not necessary because it sounds so marvelous already.
IMO the IMOD/DIYMOD is still the undisputed king of ipod SQ only some iRiver via optical transportable rigs have the potential to knock the IMOD/DIYMOD->VCAP->amp off its pedistal IMO

qusp, thanks for the legwork and input. how does the 4g imod compare with the 5.5g imod, and what is the diymod? tia.
-dD

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #69 of 195
Quote:

here ... perhaps the confusion comes from hopeful and jealous classic users wanting to believe he feels its not necessary because it sounds so marvelous already...

This has got to be one of the most infantile and ill thought out statements anyone has made in a long time. I can tell you that personally I am neither hopeful nor jealous. I and many of the other owners use the Classic because it allows us to carry significantly more music than the 60Gb or the 80Gb previous versions of the iPod. Perhaps, next time instead of being pedantic and obnoxious with your ill thought posts you should make sure your brain is engaged w/ your fingers before you type such nonsense.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #73 of 195
So why couldn't one of these be put in a zune30? I understand the 5mm VS 8mm issues but if you removed the drive plate in the Zune30 it should fit in the case.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #74 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why couldn't one of these be put in a zune30? I understand the 5mm VS 8mm issues but if you removed the drive plate in the Zune30 it should fit in the case.

I believe you should be able to do so. The new 240GB was intended to be used on the older G5 and G5.5. Zune shared the same ZIF configuration with those iPod videos and have been known to work with the double platter MK8009GAH (80GB). You may need to scrape some stuff in the zune 30 to make room but it is doable.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #75 of 195
::wipes drool::

I know what my next goal is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back