240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work!
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #121 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have changed the ftp around and the above direct links will no longer work. Please go to Index of /rockbox and pick the firmware you need. Here a are some basic instructions:

Everyone will need to install "bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod" pull the patcher for
your OS from IpodPatcher < Main < TWiki. Then you
will need to run ipodpatcher -a bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod with your ipod
connected. You will then need to select a build and unzip it into the root of
your ipod. I have the stock 3.2 and one with the sort patch applied. Pick 32M
if you upgraded from a 30GB iPod or 64M if you upgraded from a 60MB or 80MB
iPod. If you need any more help you can find me on the rockbox forums as
rmaniac. The standard 3.2 release notes apply.

Thanks for all your work on this.

I've been trying to make this work and still haven't managed it. I've got the big drive, upgraded from 80GB. I keep getting an "unsupported sector size" message at the end of intallation.

What is the "sort patch"? Which of the 64M builds should I be using?

Thanks...

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #122 of 195
Hopefully the next release of rockbox will have native support for larger drives.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #123 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your work on this.

I've been trying to make this work and still haven't managed it. I've got the big drive, upgraded from 80GB. I keep getting an "unsupported sector size" message at the end of intallation.

What is the "sort patch"? Which of the 64M builds should I be using?

Thanks...

The sort patch is just something I use, it allows the use of sort tags. I just like using it on mine, Thought I would offer it. If you are getting that error either you did not extract the rockbox-full.zip right into the root of the device correctly or you did not use the boot-loader I provided. If you have never installed rockbox on this drive before (besides my build) then it is almost definitely the boot loader.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #124 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully the next release of rockbox will have native support for larger drives.

This is doubtful unless there is a large showing of people with iPods and drives of over 138GB in them. Since they try to keep the memory foot print as small as possible they won't enable a feature for a small minority that take memory away from everyone else. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon so as long as people don't mind a few manual steps I'll keep the build up to date at least with each rockbox revision.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #125 of 195
I predict this becoming more popular as time progresses. All the drives in the ipods will eventually fail and the logical path is to replace it with a larger one. Especially for people with imods or other expensive ipods I see upgrading HDDs to become very popular in the long run. In 5-7 years it will be interesting to see if we are putting high capacity SSDs in to our old ipods lol.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #127 of 195
Quote:

The sort patch is just something I use, it allows the use of sort tags. I just like using it on mine, Thought I would offer it. If you are getting that error either you did not extract the rockbox-full.zip right into the root of the device correctly or you did not use the boot-loader I provided. If you have never installed rockbox on this drive before (besides my build) then it is almost definitely the boot loader.

Got it! Thanks.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #128 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by verjuno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use this 240gb for iriver ihp-140?

I think you can.. this guys seems to have it setup:

iHP-140: Performance issue with 240gb drive under Rockbox

He seems to be having some issues with speed.
Also my rockbox build will not work on that device you would have to be willing to build your own and fiddle with the lba48 etc. If you can compile things and maybe know a tiny bit of C then it should not be to rough.. otherwise you may need to do some reading.

Of course if you just want to run the stock firmware on it.. again I don't know.. would just have to try I guess. heh.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #129 of 195
Quote:

This is doubtful unless there is a large showing of people with iPods and drives of over 138GB in them. Since they try to keep the memory foot print as small as possible they won't enable a feature for a small minority that take memory away from everyone else. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon so as long as people don't mind a few manual steps I'll keep the build up to date at least with each rockbox revision.

After thinking about this some more I realized that is not the case. Currently they offer different packages and give users ability to add and remove things. It would thus be reasonable to accept to see this as an option and as a default function in the full install option from the auto installer.
ph34r.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #130 of 195
i have a 30 gig 5.5 imod that i put a 80 gig drive in but i cant get rockbox to work any ideas

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #131 of 195
Quote:

After thinking about this some more I realized that is not the case. Currently they offer different packages and give users ability to add and remove things. It would thus be reasonable to accept to see this as an option and as a default function in the full install option from the auto installer.
ph34r.gif

Well this would not work as a plugin or a checkbox. It has to be a separate build. So yeah they could add it to the easy install as iPod Video [Large Drive] or something if they wanted. I can see what the odds are but I don't see any other device getting such treatment yet. They did put my patch in to have more than 32768 files in the database as default.. so who knows. I would not rule it out but I kinda know how the admins generally think.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #132 of 195
Quote:

I think you can.. this guys seems to have it setup:

iHP-140: Performance issue with 240gb drive under Rockbox

He seems to be having some issues with speed.
Also my rockbox build will not work on that device you would have to be willing to build your own and fiddle with the lba48 etc. If you can compile things and maybe know a tiny bit of C then it should not be to rough.. otherwise you may need to do some reading.

Of course if you just want to run the stock firmware on it.. again I don't know.. would just have to try I guess. heh.

thanks ... access speed is problem
frown.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #134 of 195
Why would you need to change the logic board, the support of the drive is based of the PATA interface and the socket. At least on the hardware level, so the only requirement is that your software (like rockbox) supports the drive size.

Also, why iPod Video [Large Drive]. I just wanted to check that there should be no reason that support for this drive or the drive for that matter can not work in other ipods. For example it is clearly possible to install this in an ipod photo with the help of a simple adapter.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #135 of 195
Quote:

Why would you need to change the logic board,

Also, why iPod Video.

because the ipod in question needs a new logic board. Besides which, it's nice to have the increased memory available with the 60/80gb logic boards over the 30gb version.

Ipod video because I prefer the modded version of that gen ipod, am familiar with these units and prefer the styling of them also over and above the 4th gen units.

p.s. for about a hundred dollars you could also make your own ipod video from scratch, albeit you would then require the hdd or cf card mod whichever floats ya boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back