240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work!
Mar 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #106 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you take the zune30's drive cage out there should be plenty of room for the 240GB drive. I just don't see why it won't work but do not want to blow 300$ to find out.

Took a look around the net and the only thing I could find was that everyone says it will not work with the first generation 30gig zune, no one gave any specifics as to why not. Rapidrepairs own website does not even answer the question. I cannot comment any further for sure since it has been a while since I've owned a zune 30gig.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #107 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took a look around the net and the only thing I could find was that everyone says it will not work with the first generation 30gig zune, no one gave any specifics as to why not. Rapidrepairs own website does not even answer the question. I cannot comment any further for sure since it has been a while since I've owned a zune 30gig.

yep same thing I found they say it won't work but not why. Doesn't make any sense as to why it wont work

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #108 of 195
I would say it has to do with there not being enough cache (memory) on the logic board to address a drive with such large capacity

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #109 of 195
Quote:

can this be used for NW-HD5?

Of course, it can not.
1) NW-HD5 is so thin, that only 5mm HDDs will fit.
2) NW-HD5 has the ATA-50 HDD connector. You can convert it to a modern ZIF-40 with a adapter, but it looks like after that there will be no room to place even 5mm hdds.

The only change of this 240GB hdd from an old 160GB one released in 2007 is capacity.

Mar 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #110 of 195
As of last night my 240GB drive is up and running Rockbox now on a 5.5G 80GB video, DIYmodded.

Couldn't have got Rockbox to work without help from a friend, known on the Rockbox and Rapid Repair forums as rmaniac. He compiled the build.

For other people, here are his files with some extra instructions from me in case you have no knowledge of these things:

You need to download:
http://download.rockbox.org/bootload...podpatcher.exe
and this boot code:
http://64.151.69.236/rockbox/bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod
and this copy of rockbox:
http://64.151.69.236/rockbox/rockbox-full.zip

Save those 3 files to a new, empty folder somewhere on your PC. I saved mine to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB

After installing the 240GB drive, hold Menu+Select, then straight away when it starts, hold Play+Select to enter Disc mode.

Attach to PC.

In windows, click on Start > Run to enter windows command line.

Open the folder where you saved those 3 files and copy the address that is in the title bar. Mine was "C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB"

In the command line box, type CD, then a space, then right click and paste the folder address. Mine was:

CD C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB

Hit Enter.

This will change the directory of the CMD to where you saved those 3 files.

Copy and paste this into the CMD box:

ipodpatcher -a bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod

After a minute or so when it's done, type Exit and hit Enter to close CMD.

Go back to the folder where you saved the 3 files and open rockbox-full.zip

Extract it to the drive of your ipod with no sub folders.

Once it is on there you might not be able to see it if . Just make sure the zip program seemed happy.

Then unmount the ipod and reboot it. You should be ready to go.

It took over 8 hours to put 190 GB on mine. Not sure how long really, I went to work and it was done when I got home.

Works perfect and battery lasts longer. Subjectively, maybe 15 - 20%.

I'm very happy with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helps someone!

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #111 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of last night my 240GB drive is up and running Rockbox now on a 5.5G 80GB video, DIYmodded.

Couldn't have got Rockbox to work without help from a friend, known on the Rockbox and Rapid Repair forums as rmaniac. He compiled the build.

For other people, here are his files with some extra instructions from me in case you have no knowledge of these things:

You need to download:
http://download.rockbox.org/bootload...podpatcher.exe
and this boot code:
http://64.151.69.236/rockbox/bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod
and this copy of rockbox:
http://64.151.69.236/rockbox/rockbox-full.zip

Save those 3 files to a new, empty folder somewhere on your PC. I saved mine to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB

After installing the 240GB drive, hold Menu+Select, then straight away when it starts, hold Play+Select to enter Disc mode.

Attach to PC.

In windows, click on Start > Run to enter windows command line.

Open the folder where you saved those 3 files and copy the address that is in the title bar. Mine was "C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB"

In the command line box, type CD, then a space, then right click and paste the folder address. Mine was:

CD C:\Documents and Settings\Kelby\Desktop\ROCKBOX 240GB 80GB

Hit Enter.

This will change the directory of the CMD to where you saved those 3 files.

Copy and paste this into the CMD box:

ipodpatcher -a bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod

After a minute or so when it's done, type Exit and hit Enter to close CMD.

Go back to the folder where you saved the 3 files and open rockbox-full.zip

Extract it to the drive of your ipod with no sub folders.

Once it is on there you might not be able to see it if . Just make sure the zip program seemed happy.

Then unmount the ipod and reboot it. You should be ready to go.

It took over 8 hours to put 190 GB on mine. Not sure how long really, I went to work and it was done when I got home.

Works perfect and battery lasts longer. Subjectively, maybe 15 - 20%.

I'm very happy with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helps someone!

nice one steve
beerchug.gif
is it installed uncased in your pelican case of death??
tongue.gif
i'm gonna wait till the price comes down before I upgrade from 120 to 240. actually I dont know if I need 240 portable, not tat that's stopped me before... actually needing something that is

so you reckon the increased battery life has to do with the new build or the drive being more efficient??

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #114 of 195
I have changed the ftp around and the above direct links will no longer work. Please go to Index of /rockbox and pick the firmware you need. Here a are some basic instructions:

Everyone will need to install "bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod" pull the patcher for
your OS from IpodPatcher < Main < TWiki. Then you
will need to run ipodpatcher -a bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod with your ipod
connected. You will then need to select a build and unzip it into the root of
your ipod. I have the stock 3.2 and one with the sort patch applied. Pick 32M
if you upgraded from a 30GB iPod or 64M if you upgraded from a 60MB or 80MB
iPod. If you need any more help you can find me on the rockbox forums as
rmaniac. The standard 3.2 release notes apply.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #117 of 195
Quote:

Will I need to buy a thicker backpanel or is the 60gb the same size as the 80gb?

It will work great with your 5G and you should only need the upgraded back panel for a 30GB I believe. The 60gb also has the 64MB of ram which is nice when you are doing directory cacheing and searching via the database.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #118 of 195
There's definetely good info on this thread. Good spirit. Now you're making me want to get one of these lol.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #119 of 195
Can we get a list of which models large HDDs will work on and the sizes supported... this would make it really easy to see what the max is for different players.

As for support of such a large drive, it appears that in order to use this drive you must have rockbox and use that special mod, is this correct. Also is this is correct I would then assume that the size limitation is only based on the firmware and thus as long as the connector, size and power allow any size drive should work in any ipod that uses rockbox(at minimum) assuming that rockbox includes support for a drive of the given size.

Did some research and found a chart at: Upgrading iPod Hard Drives | Command-Tab

Apparently the drives with the ZIF connector will work in the 5G models as for the other models you will need a drive that DOES NOT have the ZIF...

Unless you get this nice adapter I found:
upgrade 1.8 zif to CF micro-ata adapter, for iPod HDD - eBay (item 280322035858 end time Apr-10-09 20:08:50 PDT)
DealExtreme: $4.27 ZIF to 1.8-inch Bilateral IDE Hard Drive Converter
This "1.8 zif to CF micro-ata adapter" should allow you to insert your 40pin ZIF drive into any 50PIN slot. It is basically the inverse of the PIN to ZIF adapter that people were using to connect PIN drives to there 5G and above models. Thus if you use this adapter you can enjoy a 240GB drive in a 4G and below device.
atsmile.gif

I hove located instructions here: H3120: MK1214GAH 130GB success in H340 - MisticRiver :: For iriver Enthusiasts

Although this is not for an ipod it states how the adapter listed above is used. From the description it is clear that it also allows support for Hitachi as well as Toshiba drives
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back