24 vs 32-bit sound
May 6, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #61 of 65
You can have weird miscommunication at one rate and not another. The thing about sound cards is that they are a piece of equipment that wasn't necessarily designed to work perfectly with every computer out there, and every computer out there wasn't designed to work perfectly with it. They try to make it work with as broad a range as possible, but there can have funkiness. It isn't like Apple where everything is designed to work with everything perfectly and problems can be fixed with a simple automatic software update.

The reason that one bit rate sounds better than another isn't because of the bitrate itself. it's the ability of your machine to play that particular bit rate. Bumping it up isn't improving the sound, it's just not degrading it. You've found a solution and it doesn't cause you any inconvenience, so it works.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #62 of 65
You can have weird miscommunication at one rate and not another. The thing about sound cards is that they are a piece of equipment that wasn't necessarily designed to work perfectly with every computer out there, and every computer out there wasn't designed to work perfectly with it. They can have funkiness. It isn't like Apple where everything is designed to work with everything and problems can be fixed with a simple automatic software update.

But the reason that one bit rate sounds better than another isn't because of the bitrate itself. it's the ability of your machine to play that particular bit rate.

You can have weird miscommunication at one rate and not another. The thing about sound cards is that they are a piece of equipment that wasn't necessarily designed to work perfectly with every computer out there, and every computer out there wasn't designed to work perfectly with it. They try to make it work with as broad a range as possible, but there can have funkiness. It isn't like Apple where everything is designed to work with everything perfectly and problems can be fixed with a simple automatic software update.

The reason that one bit rate sounds better than another isn't because of the bitrate itself. it's the ability of your machine to play that particular bit rate. You've found a solution and it doesn't cause you any inconvenience, so it works.
I have a internal sound card in a pcie slot. Then a DAC on the table connected by cable to the internal soundcard, So i guess my motherboard handles 32 bit better than 24 bit xD

May 6, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #63 of 65
Yes

May 6, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #64 of 65
I have a internal sound card in a pcie slot. Then a DAC on the table connected by cable to the internal soundcard, So i guess my motherboard handles 32 bit better than 24 bit xD
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile: We should be careful when making claims about 32 bit being "better" than lower bit depths, because in your case your crappy motherboard is not able to do properly what it is supposed to do. When the data is handled properly, 32 bit, 24 bit and 16 bit are the same for human ears because about 13 bits is all we need in music listening. So, it is important that people make it clear that THEIR hardware/software works properly only at some parameters and that's why those parameters are used. Otherwise some readers here might get the idea more bits is ALWAYS better.

May 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #65 of 65
Well i don't have this problem anymore now after i changed from 24 to 32. So no its
not a communication problems or else it would have appeared in 32 bit also.
Why are you effectively taking a 8x10" portrait and filling a highway billboard with it?

That's all upscaling is!

Listen to the dam thing in its native sample/bit depth over a decent playback system, and have a beer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back