24/96 can it be converted to Apple Lossless?? HD Tracks question.
Oct 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
I have both a Wadia iTransport/ipod and secondary PC running foobar 2000 Trends + Dac+amp. Most of the music I download is high end FLAC or ALAC Apple Lossless for the ITransport. My question is: if I download the new 24/96 format in FLAC from HDtracs can I convert it to Apple lossless with no loss in quality? If so, what is the best software for the job.

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 36
ALAC doesn't support anything higher than 16bit/48khz. You'll have to use FLAC and run Rockbox on the iPod for anything higher if you want to use the Wadia unit, and that's if the iPod will tolerate higher than 16/48, which I do not know it will. There are processing issues with FLAC at 16/41 on certain iPods, my iPod photo will not play them properly.

ALAC thru your PC as a transport should be fine, up to 24/192 stereo. So long as your soundcard supports it.

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 36
^ is the iPod issue relevant when using the Wadia? Shame about ALAC though, I knew it was limited, but thought it might go a bit further than 16/48

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 36
The Wadia is an irrelevance when the matter for concern is the limitations of the iPod, if the iPod cant recognise the file format, you wont be able to get them onto its database, and if you put them on as files and use rockbox it still might not like reading something its not designed for. CD players read digital from optical discs, and DVD-A contains this type of information, but the CD player cannot process it.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 36
You sure can, and there will be no quality loss.
...as to software, I am really not sure if dbpoweramp do what you need. Might be worth a try

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure can, and there will be no quality loss.
...as to software, I am really not sure if dbpoweramp do what you need. Might be worth a try

No, you cant, and yes, there will be if you do. Kai try reading the content of a thread sometimes before you chime in at the end.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you cant, and yes, there will be if you do. Kai try reading the content of a thread sometimes before you chime in at the end.

Well, I am quite sure you are wrong!
wink.gif

Cause I have certainly transcoded 24-bit/96KHz FLAC encoded files to Apple Lossless several times. And they are still 24-bit/96KHz....
The sample files from High Definition Tape Transfers as an example.

picture2wb8.png

Edit: Sorry that I don't catch the post above mentioning that dbpoweramp is not capable.
There are other applications out there capable of transcoding 24/96 FLAC files to Apple Lossless, but the ones I know of are Mac OS X only... Not familiar with MS Windows at all, which I guess the OP run since he/she mention foobar2000.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are other applications out there capable of transcoding 24/96 FLAC files to Apple Lossless, but the ones I know of are Mac OS X only... Not familiar with MS Windows at all, which I guess the OP run since he/she mention foobar2000.

Wait, so which application did you use? I'm both Mac/Windows.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, so which application did you use? I'm both Mac/Windows.

I though I used Max, but gave it a try and it turned out wrong.
Input 24/96 FLAC file and it output 16/96 Apple Lossless files.

This works fine though (resulting in 24/96 Apple Lossless files:
1. Decode the FLAC files using the flac command line binary.
2. Add the WAV files to iTunes, and encode to Apple Lossless.

Verified using the "LiadovPrevin" sample from HDTT: Index of /samplerdownload

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 36
Wadia iTransport and HD Tracks 24/96 Content

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???

The iPod, at least mine (5G) can't play 24-bit files. iTunes, most certainly can, but the iPod will tell you that it can't sync the songs.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, not without changing the sampling rate.
iPod's will play 24-bit audio, but not with sampling rate above 48KHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back