24~26 inch LCD monitor?
Oct 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 35
I have Dell 2005WFP and 2007WFP both with SIPS screens. I think they are great despite some uneven back lighting issues on the 2007wfp

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 35
The problem with Dell is that buying one of their monitors is like mystery meat - you never know if you are going to get a decent Samsung or LG panel, or a crappy 6-bit panel from a third tier manufacturer..

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #18 of 35
I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display and I'm pleased with it. I find the color accuracy to be very good (since I have to color correct images all day long where I work), and response time good enough for video. It's not the least expensive, but a refurbished one is considerably less. If you're concerned about color accuracy, setting aside some money for a display calibrator is worth it. After having two monitors for a while, I've decided to stick with one since I find it faster switching Spaces on Mac OS X.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with Dell is that buying one of their monitors is like mystery meat - you never know if you are going to get a decent Samsung or LG panel, or a crappy 6-bit panel from a third tier manufacturer..

any recommendations?

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm fairly certain that their Ultrasharp line (24"+) don't use any TN panels.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any recommendations?

If you don't need a S-IPS monitor, just get a Samsung 24-inch. Beware of the differences between their various product lines, however. I can't refer to a specific model, I'm afraid, as they change over too often.

HP's workstation-class line (what they call "Business LCD Monitors") is good as well, but their consumer monitors are just as bad as anyone else's. The L2475W is S-IPS and has the works, including DisplayPort connectivity, the L2445W is not, but is 1/3 cheaper.

Buy online - pretty much any monitor you can get in bricks-and-mortar consumer outlets like Best Buy is likely to be from the bottom of the barrel.

The new Apple 24-inch LED-backlit monitor looks promising, at half the price of a Samsung XL24, but it only has Mini DisplayPort connectivity for the new MacBooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly certain that their Ultrasharp line (24"+) don't use any TN panels.

I was thinking of the 19-inch, where the 1905FP was a distinct step down from the 1904FP. Manufacturers or production lines who still use the inferior TN technology are probably not able to make 24" panels. Yet.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 35
The OP is looking to spend $500 to $600, that pretty much rules out any S-IPS paneled LCDs (with maybe the exception of LP2475w).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any recommendations?

AnandTech - The LCD Thread

Go through all the monitors on that thread and pick the one that fits your need.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

The OP is looking to spend $500 to $600, that pretty much rules out any S-IPS paneled LCDs (with maybe the exception of LP2475w).

Go through all the monitors on that thread and pick the one that fits your need.

That AnandTech thread is pure gold! I've been looking for something that concisely explains the technology and offers recommendations. Thanks for that link.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had read that part...

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 35
TN Panels are rubbish, I would not go with anything less than a P-MVA, even if you're not doing graphic intensive work. I had the HP w2408h which supposedly is one of the best TN 24s on the market and it still looked terrible. Saturation out of the box was good, a little more than natural but better than most monitors I've seen straight out of the box. Where it failed was black levels, backlight bleed, and inaccurate display of white at anything other than full brightness (ie Blinding). Color shift and viewing angles were terrible as well and the monitor could not even be used effectively in portrait mode because of this.

I have an HP LP2465 now, an S-PVA panel, and have been enjoying it so far. Color accuracy is good, saturation and vibrance are good, black levels are decent for a VA panel and I haven't noticed excessive lag as others have complained about (Though admittedly, I have not been able to game on it yet). Iron Man 1080P looks amazing! I also have a Westinghouse 24", a P-MVA panel, at home and it works great too. Color accuracy is decent, black levels are decent, the only thing that bothers me is the buzzing at low brightness levels but for the price, it's hard to beat. You can run two of them for about $600-700. If money was no object, I'd of course gone with the new 24" ACD since it's running the same H-IPS panel that's in the $1200 NEC 24" and the 24" Imac but $900 is a bit out of my budget, especially with the cost of Apple's adapter figured in.
redface.gif

One thing to note though, if you plan on blowing your budget and going for an IPS panel, make sure you've seen what you're buying before you commit. A lot of newer IPS panels are wide gamut monitors and it's a love/hate thing with a lot of people.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

AWESOME...you know what I love about head-fi? I find out about a lot of stuff I never even knew of. I had no idea LCD monitors had so many choices and different type panels. I'll give that link a look at tommorow.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #27 of 35
The Benq G2400WD is a good choice, you can find it for less than $400 easily. I purchased mine after my dell 2005wfp went dead and this was right when sony had a $100 refund promo on the first purchase on the sony card , so I signed up bought the monitor and received the credit and ended up paying less than $300. While i do notice the viewing angles aren't as good as the dell, if your sitting directly in front that isn't really a major issue.

To make a long story short dell sent me a replacement monitor and I was able to directly compare the Benq to my the replacement. Dell sent me A 2007fwp, the colors appeard more vibrant on the dell, but the Benq dosen't look bad by any means. It's good if your into gaming and etc while the dell is best if your looking to use photoshop and similar apps. Heres a review I happened to spot: Benq G2400WD Review

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 35
I have an old Dell 2405, a 2408, and an ancient Sony 23.something LCD.

The Sony is the nicer of the panels in terms of features (excluding inputs), but being the oldest of the bunch, it's showing its age. It also cost 3 times as much as the Dells.

In terms of color, the Dells are about on par with anything I've used. One thing to note, Dells are made to be used in an office environment, and tend to be bright... the 2408 isn't so bad, but some of their monitors are irritating to use at night.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #29 of 35
You mentioned gaming. Now the thing is, do you have desktop good enough to support higher resolution of that monitor?

I am using 8800 GTS and one of the reason why I am still sticking with 20" widescreen is because I don't think I can push my card to anything more than 1680x1050 res. without getting choppy results.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 35
Newer LCDs scale much better than the older ones... I have an 8800 GTX, and play a number of games at 1680x1050 - and it looks pretty good. I don't notice that its scaled down like I used to 4 or 5 years ago on LCDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back