24~26 inch LCD monitor?
Oct 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.

My old 19 inch CRT starts flicking, makes couple lines at the top part of the screen. I guess it is time to get a new one. To my surpise, I am not able to find any LCD monitor recommendation thread yet, thus I think it is good time to make one.

What I am thinking about buying is 24 to 26 inch LCD monitor.
I am going to use it with ordinary stuffs like word processing, internet, movies, casual gaming and maybe little bit of photo editing for personal purpose. Here's some questions for you guys.

1. 26 inch feels noticably bigger than 24 inch?

2. color gradation of TN pannel makes you bother?

3. What LCD monitor you use, and how do you like it?

4. Recommend me 24 to 26 inch monitor. My budget is $500.
I may able to spend $600 if the monitor is worth it.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys.

My old 19 inch CRT starts flicking, makes couple lines at the top part of the screen. I guess it is time to get a new one. To my surpise, I am not able to find any LCD monitor recommendation thread yet, thus I think it is good time to make one.

What I am thinking about buying is 24 to 26 inch LCD monitor.
I am going to use it with ordinary stuffs like word processing, internet, movies, casual gaming and maybe little bit of photo editing for personal purpose. Here's some questions for you guys.

1. 26 inch feels noticably bigger than 24 inch?

2. color gradation of TN pannel makes you bother?

3. What LCD monitor you use, and how do you like it?

4. Recommend me 24 to 26 inch monitor. My budget is $500.
I may able to spend $600 if the monitor is worth it.

Thanks.

One suggestion - prices for 22" monitors are really good. If your video card supports it, consider dual 22" monitors - They will give almost twice the resolution (2 22" monitors:3360x1050 vs. 1 24/26" monitor:1920x1200) at almost the same cost. Here in Canada, you can get 2 22" Acers for about $380, while a single 24" Acer will go for around $340.

-Peter

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 35
1. Not really. Besides, a 26"/27" LCD will have the same resolution as a 24". If you want something bigger, get a 30". Those are quite nice.

2. I've never used a good TN-panel LCD before, so I can't answer that.

3. I have a dual-monitor setup, 2408WFP/2407WFP. It's a good setup (and they're good LCDs). But truth to be told, I'd rather have a single 30".

4. With that kind of budget, you could get a really nice S-PVA/MVA panel LCD.

j.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 35
22" is not an option for me, since I do need resolution higher than 1600*1200. I could go 24" instead of 26" and save money if that little size differece b/w two does not mean much. Dual monitor setup is kind of luxury for me at this moment, but... yes, I saw someone has that, and boy that was real nice. Of casue, 30" and dual 30" is going to be even better. Though, I am not sure I can see all the way thrugh top to bottom of the screen at one glance in my small desk. Need to buy another desk?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, guys. Please tell me what monitor you got and how do you like it.
thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 35
I've got a Sammy 245BW. All I do is a little photoshop, and watch a lot of tv shows/movies on it. And I do a lot of multitasking at my desk. Trillian in my top left, VLC right under, Grabit/uTorrent in another section, random folders/windows and firefox or CS2 taking up the majority of the screen. When me or my friends are on my couch, we watch movies in full screen about 6-8ft away and the size is good enough. I'll start gaming when DCU comes out, and I can let you know how it hangs when that comes out.

For what I use it for, I have almost no complaints. It's being powered by a 8600GT which isn't really anything special, so if you've got a nicer video card, you'll probably appreciate it more. My only concern is that it exaggerates red tones, particularly with peoples flesh. With that in mind, it probably isn't really the best choice for photo/video editing because of color accuracy. I'll use it anyways because I got it at my old job for half of your budget
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 35
Just got the new HP LP2475w which is a 24" H-IPS (very similar to S-IPS) screen. Superb color accuracy and black level after calibration and zero dead pixels. Ergonomics are very nice with a height adjustable stand. I think it retails for around $600 and it is a damn good screen. The panel type makes it quite expensive, but considering the better colors I think it is well worth the price.

The default settings for color and contrast were all wrong and it had the brightness set to an insane level but once you sort that out it really shows how good IPS can get. The only thing it lacks compared to the real pro monitor is A-TW and LED back lighting but those monitors are way more expensive.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 35
I use a 30" HP LP3065 with a S-IPS panel. It has extended gamut compared to the Apple Cinema HD or the Dell 30", and three dual-link DVI ports so you don't need to blow an extra $150 on a DVI KVM. Nothing short of a $3000 LED-backlit Samsung XL30 is going to better it.

TN is pure garbage, don't bother. I didn't even realize anyone made large panels with lousy TN screens, that kind of junk is usually reserved for entry-level monitors. PVA/MVA might be fine for gaming, but there is a reason why graphics artists insist on S-IPS panels.

You might find this link useful:
N.E.R.D.: Things you need to know before buying an LCD monitor.....

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 35
HP LP2475w is another great 24" LCD. You can't go wrong with that.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

but there is a reason why graphics artists insist on S-IPS panels.

Agreed, but that's not what he's looking for...

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 35
I would wait for the LED SIPS with wide gamut to come down in price; in the mean time just get some used 22in off fleebay to tie you over

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would wait for the LED SIPS with wide gamut to come down in price; in the mean time just get some used 22in off fleebay to tie you over

I disagree, S-IPS LCDs are still quite expensive (meaning that they won't come down in price anytime soon), besides, I don't really think the OP is looking for something like that.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, S-IPS LCDs are still quite expensive (meaning that they won't come down in price anytime soon), besides, I don't really think the OP is looking for something like that.

Exactly.

I am sensitive when it comes to colors. I saw all three type of pannels and knew how they looks like. I found I like IPS the best. I hate that horrible view angle and gradation TN pannel has. Makers should stop using TN pannel for monitors bigger than 19", IMO. But, is it the case? Nah.

Almost every LCD monitor out there is TN based. At least all monitors in bestbuy or other retailers are TN based with only exception of apple display.
IPS, even PVA, monitor is kinda hard to come by and quite expansive. Online retailers are not clearly specifying pannel type. It is almost impossible to rule TN out of your option. If IPS monitor is like $50 expensive than average TN monitor, I wouldn't ask at the first place.

That's a part of the reason why I am asking your opinions about what you got and how you think.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 35
Well, since I'm using the 2408WFP, I obviously think it's good enough for me (at least atm), it retails for about $600. At this price, it's not the best LCD (2490WUXi is probably a little better), but since you can get them from eBay for about $550, you could take advantage of the Live 25% off promotion. At the end, it'll cost you around $420 or so. Hope this helps.

j.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 35
i keep reading about the TD panels...whats so bad about em? also are there any good 22 in lcd monitors that are one of the other type of panels? i am dual monitoring thus i am looking for just 22 in nothing bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back