230 - 240v
Feb 20, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 8
I can't comment on that particular product, but every piece of electronic equipment designed today is built to withstand voltage differences. This is because, even within the same country, voltages can vary by as much as 20-30v. Also note that 240v is probably the "nominal" voltage for your area; it's entirely possible that the actual voltage is lower (or slightly higher).

Long story short, there's no need to worry.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Which country are you in? AC power in Australia and New Zealand is actually 230v, despite the popular belief that it's 240v.

Not that it matters, power transformers are made to be fairly tollerant. Your 007t will be fine.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which country are you in? AC power in Australia and New Zealand is actually 230v, despite the popular belief that it's 240v.

Not that it matters, power transformers are made to be fairly tollerant. Your 007t will be fine.

really? how did you discover that?

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Sigmund: As thubble already explained, it should be no problem. Manfacturers know that the nominal voltages for each country allow certain tolerances - e.g. for Germany it's a nominal voltage of 230 V with a tolerance of +/- 10 % (never found examples for the negative tolerance in practice, though - whenever and wherever I measured, I got ~ 235 V...). So, if you've actually got 240 V, you're not even +5% off -> no worries! However, it might be a good idea to get a cheap digital multimeter and measure for yourself - if the result is higher than 250 V, I'd recommend to email Stax and ask them about the actual voltage tolerance of the amp in order to make sure...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? how did you discover that?

It's not exactly a secret. All government texts regarding AC line voltage list it as 230v.

If you want the actual government specifications for AC line voltage, it's Standards Australia AS60038-2000.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Much thanks guys- I see you really know your stuff here. V. re-assuring.

On a side issue- would anyone know if the voltage is affected due to changing/upgrading the valves in the unit? I have had the re-valving professionally done (apparently it is also being re-biased- whatever that means) but the engineer refuses to warranty his work due to the 230v status of the kit.
Another side issue(!)- but would any one have any experience of this re-valving, when trying to increase the drive of a (low-powered) valve headphone amp? I've also been advised that a far superior upgrade (in this area) would be to use a balanced signal source, in stead of the standard single ended one I'm forced to use at the moment (apparently the balanced input increases the input by 6db's). There seems to be no mention of this issue, anywhere else on the forum.

Thanks again,
Sigmund

Users who are viewing this thread

Back