20gb+ player advice
Dec 22, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

escher

New Head-Fier
So, I'm looking for a player, and I've spent about an hour reading various threads here, but I'm still quite indecisive about what to get. Here's what I'm looking for:

- 20Gb+
- works well with "aux" input in my car
- able to get AC power (so i can use a car adapter)
- decent audio quality
- drag n drop in windows - no software required
- i don't use iTunes
- i don't use FLAC/Ogg - just lame VBR mp3's
- i won't use it for watching videos
- price hopefully < $300
- generally it will be hooked up to my car or my Shure e4's

So, given these considerations, I'm considering:
- cowon iAudio X5(L)
- creative zen vision:m
- iPod

I'm leaning towards the X5, but I'm still not sure. Any recommendations or suggestions from the audience? Any players that I've missed that you think would be better suited for the job?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I'm doing a poll since people like to vote on things.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 19
Rio Karma is now available even in new (limited sets) and refurbished in eBay. 20GB is Rio Karma domain
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Stupid question (I am a mac user) but can you use the ipod in this fashion? I thought it required the use of itunes as a means to sort the ipod contents/upload etc.

Unless you have hacked the firmware and installed different drivers or something. After all... it is just a hard drive with a screen. iPod Linux perhaps?

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by escher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doesn't this automatically rule out the iPod?

I can't recommend any other players because I haven't had much experience with non-Apple DAPs
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by enoch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my understanding that the X5 has the better S/N (signal to noise) ratio.

I don't know how important S/N ratio is because from my limited experience, the S/N ratio says nothing about the actual sound quality. My Indigo DJ has a S/N ratio of 110dB and my Audiophile USB has a ratio of 107dB. Not too surprisingly, the Audiophile USB beats the Indigo DJ any day of the year in terms of sound quality.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by escher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- 20Gb+
- works well with "aux" input in my car
- able to get AC power (so i can use a car adapter)
- decent audio quality
- i don't use iTunes
- i don't use FLAC/Ogg - just lame VBR mp3's
- i won't use it for watching videos
- price hopefully < $300
- generally it will be hooked up to my car or my Shure e4's

with the subpack the x5 is exactly what you are searching for. For the x5, please don't use the aux, it sucks, instead use the 'normal' headphone out. If oyu get the X5L version you can play mp3's for ~ 30 hours strait so the real need of the ac power is limited to long drives and usable outlets

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 19
Zen Vision:M if you'll be using it for videos a lot. Nothing else really compares in this aspect for your application.

iRiver H320/H340. This thing does everything you want it to straight out of the box. It does everything you want it to and a whole lot more a whole lot better after you install Rockbox on it.

Good luck.

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 19
X5(L). I still cannot find any player that equals it, and I've heard their repair policy is simply awesome. Apparently they pay shipping both ways if you live in the US or Korea, and they'll fix anything.

Quotes: (from the iaudiophiles facebook group, so have to repost them)

Quote:

name removed wrote
at 7:32pm on October 29th, 2006
that's right, they repaired my joystick and replaced both my sister's an my batery. We both got new earbuds for free. They have an excellent service for their customers. Be proud to be one!

name removed wrote
at 9:37pm on October 27th, 2006
hey, just wanted to tell everyone, if you have a problem with your iAUDIO or with its headphones, you can send it in within the year you got it and get parts replaced, fixed, etc. It's totally free, no shipping or anything, you don't even need a warranty the service is amazing. Yea my brother just got his joystick and the entire shell of his iAUDIO replaced, and I got the lithium battery changed. We also got new headphones.

Free battery replacement? Now THAT'S what I call service!

The sound quality is pretty good for a portable player, with a hint of digital "harshness" and slightly recessed vocals. Sounds great through both my HD-595s and Energy RVS speakers though, these are really minor problems. My dad was blown away when I played the live Hotel California through them, he simply couldn't believe that it was all coming from that tiny black box sitting on the floor.

As for the controls go, they take a little getting used to. But once you do (I hold it in my left hand) you'll find the controls to be much better than the iPod wheel. Smaller movements are easier on my thumb than the huge circles you have to make on an ipod. Sure, the screen isn't that great (it's just a standard cell phone screen on its side) but this is a DAP, not a PMP. Overall, I'd give it a 9.5/10, only because corrupted music files can sometimes crash the unit requiring a reset via paperclip. I've had it since last January.

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 19
You might want to consider the Zune. I was in that very same position last week because I wanted an X5l due to its large battery life. However, it is $260. I went on craiglist and found a guy who was selling the zune for 190 and I quickly emailed him.

The sound quality is very clear and crisp, I personally dont feel the Ipod sound to be that good.

I have a pair of mx51 and ksc75. Work like a charm.

The Zune software was a nightmare though...use the back USB ports if u decide on it. I spent a lot of time trying to get my computer to use the front ones.

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X5(L). I still cannot find any player that equals it, and I've heard their repair policy is simply awesome. Apparently they pay shipping both ways if you live in the US or Korea, and they'll fix anything.

Quotes: (from the iaudiophiles facebook group, so have to repost them)

Free battery replacement? Now THAT'S what I call service!

The sound quality is pretty good for a portable player, with a hint of digital "harshness" and slightly recessed vocals. Sounds great through both my HD-595s and Energy RVS speakers though, these are really minor problems. My dad was blown away when I played the live Hotel California through them, he simply couldn't believe that it was all coming from that tiny black box sitting on the floor.

As for the controls go, they take a little getting used to. But once you do (I hold it in my left hand) you'll find the controls to be much better than the iPod wheel. Smaller movements are easier on my thumb than the huge circles you have to make on an ipod. Sure, the screen isn't that great (it's just a standard cell phone screen on its side) but this is a DAP, not a PMP. Overall, I'd give it a 9.5/10, only because corrupted music files can sometimes crash the unit requiring a reset via paperclip. I've had it since last January.

Hey, I had a question about X5L's, is it true that you can't browse by the ID3 tags(eg; cant browse by artist, album, genre, ect; )? If so, how is everything set up when browsing?

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 19
i would recommend you the Zune. I think that it's pretty possible that it will be rockbox'd so there will be no need for aditional software , only drag and drop.

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would recommend you the Zune. I think that it's pretty possible that it will be rockbox'd so there will be no need for aditional software , only drag and drop.

... regarding rockbox on the zune... you might want to keep track of this rockbox thread. => http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=6848.0

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't this automatically rule out the iPod?

I can't recommend any other players because I haven't had much experience with non-Apple DAPs
biggrin.gif

I don't know how important S/N ratio is because from my limited experience, the S/N ratio says nothing about the actual sound quality. My Indigo DJ has a S/N ratio of 110dB and my Audiophile USB has a ratio of 107dB. Not too surprisingly, the Audiophile USB beats the Indigo DJ any day of the year in terms of sound quality.

It doesn't automatically rule out the iPod, though some additional software will have to be involved.

I use Anapod Explorer, and with it I can use drag 'n' drop to transfer files to and from my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back