[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #7,337 of 7,442
Oh no. I don't mean it like that. I'm just looking at my options.
:). I completely understand. Personally, I don't think you are going to do any better at this price range. You will get varying opinions on this and it may boil down to different sound signatures that different buds afford at this price point. But, I'm blown away with what 5 dollars will get you. The good thing is that you can buy a bunch of different ones at this price point and decide which you like best also. But, countless others are very pleased with this earbud. Hope you enjoy them if you go that route.

One caveat. Personally (to each is own), I found the mids kinda "hot" in some registers. I use an app called Neutralizer and love it. It really tamed down that for me. It was subtle and I noticed that the version 1 didn't exhibit this. But, they were still great even without the neutralizer tweaks. I'm loving that app. And alot of this is very subjective and MANY others were fine with them they way they are.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #7,338 of 7,442
Quick question. Is the VE Monk still the best earbuds under $5 even now?

"Best" is relative based on what factors are being considered, but plenty of people in the cheap Chinese earbuds thread prefer other $5-ish shipped buds to their Monks. Or if they don't outright prefer them say they are comparable just different sound signature.

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #7,339 of 7,442
"Best" is relative based on what factors are being considered, but plenty of people in the cheap Chinese earbuds thread prefer other $5-ish shipped buds to their Monks. Or if they don't outright prefer them say they are comparable just different sound signature.

agreed. they suit most genre's very well. but other cheapie iems suit the other genre's better (bass heavy)

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #7,340 of 7,442
Great to know that. I didn't think there's much more options under $5(more like failed to find the others).just found out about TY Hi-Z 32 and Faaeal 32 :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #7,341 of 7,442
Great to know that. I didn't think there's much more options under $5(more like failed to find the others).just found out about TY Hi-Z 32 and Faaeal 32 :deadhorse:

I tried the TY HI-Z 32 and I didn't like them. They weren't bad, but they didn't stand up to VE Monk. I found the Hiz to be very thin in the mids and the sound stage was non existent.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #7,342 of 7,442
Anyone still using their original monks? Mine seem to have gone through some heavy usage in the past before being put away for about a year.

Today I took the original monks out today and noticed that they don't have the same oomph to them. I opened my fresh monk plus and they sound a lot better for some reason. I don't have another original monk to compare it to. I can't tell if it is because the jack is worn on the original or if the drivers are just aged.

Sad times, that the original monk is not available anymore... Regret not buying more at the time. I might try change the jack first, but don't have much confidence in whether that will improve the sound. Monk plus had a different sound to the Monk as I remember, but I recall the Monk sounding better than the Plus version, rather than the other way around which is what they are currently sounding like.

I also have a special candy version which is the plus version, and it still sounds fresh after being in the drawers for many years. I guess using any earbuds daily for a year is going to change them. RIP magical sound signature.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #7,343 of 7,442
Anyone still using their original monks? Mine seem to have gone through some heavy usage in the past before being put away for about a year.

Today I took the original monks out today and noticed that they don't have the same oomph to them. I opened my fresh monk plus and they sound a lot better for some reason. I don't have another original monk to compare it to. I can't tell if it is because the jack is worn on the original or if the drivers are just aged.

Sad times, that the original monk is not available anymore... Regret not buying more at the time. I might try change the jack first, but don't have much confidence in whether that will improve the sound. Monk plus had a different sound to the Monk as I remember, but I recall the Monk sounding better than the Plus version, rather than the other way around which is what they are currently sounding like.

I also have a special candy version which is the plus version, and it still sounds fresh after being in the drawers for many years. I guess using any earbuds daily for a year is going to change them. RIP magical sound signature.
I don't have much experience of this, as I only have (many) monk plus and haven't used those much lately as I got zen lite and zen 2.0 omega, but just to make sure, are you using fresh foams? Old foams will make sound muddy, or are you listening them naked and still observing things you mentioned? I once compared my most used old monk plus to newer less used monk plus, and I wondered how that old monk plus sounded way worse, until I realized it had old foams. Just my 2 cents :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #7,344 of 7,442

You're right, they are magical. So inexpensive at the time that I bought several pair. Still listen to the old Monk often these days but there are even better earbuds for the same price currently. Reading the other threads, I found some budget monsters in the Snow-Lotus 1.0+ and Vido ear buds. Both highly recommended from AliExpress for the price of a hamburger. Go read the ear bud threads to find something on the cheap. We have the OG Monk to be thankful for paving the way to better sound. It raised the bar quite high.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #7,346 of 7,442
I'm a recent earbud convert and wrote up some of my thoughts since joining the community (including my VE Monk impressions). Please feel free to give it a read if you fancy: https://www.modioaudio.co.uk/blog/an-ode-to-earbuds

an_ode_to_earbuds-2.JPG

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #7,347 of 7,442
Does anyone know where (US) I can get the original "Earhoox" that don't cover the soundports? It looks like they've updated their hooks to specifically match the AirBuds.

Or can anyone recommend an alternative comfortable silicone hook that will fit the Monk+ without obscuring the sound?

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #7,350 of 7,442
yes, those are very close to what i have.
went back to the massdrop/drop listing and it was the "VENTURE ELECTRONICS MONK PLUS EXCLUSIVE BLUE" drop. the extras that were included were called the "Ex Pack" here's an image of what was included. you can see the ear hooks/fins that were in this set. i've used these on my monks since i got them over 2 years ago.

9222688.jpg
9222689.jpg
9139495.png

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=4 (SPC edition)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back