[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Aug 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #7,321 of 7,442
With the ToneKing earbuds as well as NiceHCK EBX, Svara L and others I wear over ear so as to get a good fit
That's a good suggestion for people to try. I still seem to get better results with the cables down though. The weight of the cables seems to help create a little bit of pressure against the ear-canal
opening (which lifts the bass).

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #7,322 of 7,442
Here's one more, just for fun :) I picked up a pair of Emx500 buds that also seem to be well regarded. They are a little bright compared to the ToneKing TO200 or Shozy BK buds, but less so than the VE Monk Plus and they have way more low-end than my Monk Buds (the bass on the Emx500 is great). For $15, you can't go wrong!

emx500.png

My favorites are still the Shozy BK buds. BTW, there's something about their design that I think really helps the sound, which is the ergonomic shape that helps them to fit tight against the ear canal opening. Notice how their stems taper in at the middle:

20180822_074838_HDR~2.jpg

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #7,326 of 7,442
Asura 2.0 is less reflective or echoey than monk plus but have same stage which gives the instrument more of naturalness in timbre....otherwise they are same

Try slappypete mod on monk+ with some good recable and you can sort of kill shozy BK
That really depends on your DAP and music preference. For me I have asura 2.0 and think the monk plus is close but does not have the mids that the asura 2.0 does.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #7,329 of 7,442
Just curious. What's the slappypete mod? And in what way will you murder the Shozy BK?!?
He opened the monk up and used different damping methods...well bass reduced but tightened up, 2kHz peak damped to Zen level and cleaner decay

Google it

Slappypete monk plus mod

Then open google images and see graph

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1406#post-13565235

on this page

Post 21089

And I did this mod, use the donut foam for bass recovery plus keeping other things intact

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #7,330 of 7,442
It's hard to accept that when you can push them in closer and hear the potential of what the sound could be! :D

That said, I'm VERY impressed with the clarity, transparency, and imaging. Pretty incredible considering the cost.
Has anyone tried doing a headband mod with them like they do with the Ksc's? It seems that would put more pressure on them to stay in the ear.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #7,331 of 7,442
It's hard to accept that when you can push them in closer and hear the potential of what the sound could be! :D

That said, I'm VERY impressed with the clarity, transparency, and imaging. Pretty incredible considering the cost.

i know what you mean.... you could probably press/close them in and get a bit more out of them, but you'd be loosing the "openness" of the earbud form factor. i think the sharkfins worn like below (stems pointing forward & slightly up) is the best compromise (preferably with foams as well)

sharkfin for me...

another thought i had, was the adapters griffin came out with ears ago (EarJam) for the original apple ear buds, but i don't know if the sizes are even close.
griffin EarJam
1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back