[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #4,353 of 7,442
Monks have a very special memory in my life now!

I got married on 15th May of this year. On our honeymoon trip I had kept a Monk and Monk+ with me, which we then together really enjoyed. Had a great time listening to our fav songs using the monks.

I then gifted the Monks (she liked original better, while I like + a bit more) to her.

Thanks Lee haha.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #4,355 of 7,442
Monks have a very special memory in my life now!

I got married on 15th May of this year. On our honeymoon trip I had kept a Monk and Monk+ with me, which we then together really enjoyed. Had a great time listening to our fav songs using the monks.

I then gifted the Monks (she liked original better, while I like + a bit more) to her.

Thanks Lee haha.

My wife complains that I give her more earbuds and headphones than flowers. :p

I was going to give her my pair of Monk but she prefers her pair of old Sony MDR-E741. Those are from the 90's and have been discontinued for a long time so if they break she will have to accept to have something else...

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #4,356 of 7,442

Yep, they are truly originals! 

But if you like something new there are version with HQ custom cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VE-Monk-with-HQ-CUSTOM-CABLE-moves-to-VE-Asura-territory-/231973712349

and rare Remote and Mic version for mobile users!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VE-Monk-with-REMOTE-and-Mic-HQ-custom-cable-/231973727127

I went ahead and bought the originals but I wish I would have seen the HQ custom cable version first. I'm still worried about fakes though. I've been burned too many times.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #4,357 of 7,442
Yep. Still, it's not like I don't already own multiple pairs of Monks. It's just that red ones go faster...

I laughed way to hard at this. thank you 
etysmile.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #4,363 of 7,442
  http://tinyurl.com/j2q6m8g

I'm sure someone out there would like what happened to those headphones to happen to the Monk

Yeah, when I recable my Monk+ with a broken 3.5mm connector, I'm also gonna cover em in rhinestones.

edit: Of course someone will see this and think, "you bought a defective monk! demand refund!" I have given Lee over about $750 and you can figure out how many of those is monks. In literal dozens of monks I have only encountered one with a bad connection on the 3.5mm jack. so you know what I did? I put it to the side and was happy because I didn't have to butcher a working set to recable them.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #4,364 of 7,442

New toy :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #4,365 of 7,442
Do the custom cable Monks on eBay have better build quality? I'm asking because...I think my personal Monks are in a lot of peril. I noticed about a week and a half ago, when plugged into my phone (2013 original Moto X), it would have sound only in the left earpiece unless I twisted it around the right way. There's really no other convenient headphones I have for outdoors so I've kept using them and the sweet spot is getting harder to find. The plug has been tilted slightly from what should be a straight position. Bear in mind that before I had this problem I never did any roughhousing with them to cause any intentional damage that would be my fault. Maybe gradual tugging over the past two months I've had them was the problem. I think this is why straight plugs are a problem and the industry primarily uses L-shaped plugs.

Here's a weird thing though. I have this problem only with my phone - when it's plugged in my laptop I easily get stereo. I also want to blame the weird headphone jack in the Moto X that is slightly open in the rear (maybe you can find photos of this), which might make a full fit harder to achieve. In summary, though, if they do break even after I get my cable extension in the mail, would custom cables or plugs prevent this from happening again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back