[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 30, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,187 of 7,442
Sound=Sound
wink.gif

True. But but...

Earbud sound != IEM sound :wink:

May 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #4,188 of 7,442
These are just early impressions I guess and I assume your old Monk has fully burned in so you should better burn the new Monk plus for at least 20 hours before making a fair comparison. Btw, the new Monk plus is not too far from the old Monk for me.

I never burn in any of my headphones or earphones, my monk is around 60 hours of listening to music thats all. I highly doubt burning in will change the actual sound signature anyway.

May 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #4,189 of 7,442
Sound=Sound :wink:

Yes if you put it that way then it's true. But I think people hesitate to compare because it's different especially with their physical nature and strength that accompany them..simple perspective,

Iem=seal/bass quantity/full body quite narrow stage.

open hp=big open sound/natural, bass quality

Earbud=minimum seal/awareness / open / airy and natural.

Also I belive earbud not suppose to replace other gear like iem instead they compliments. Not at least we found iem that can excel all rounder, and that wouldn't be cheap. However good earbud can make open headphone redundant IMO

if I want iem sound I listen to iem. If I want to listen to open back full headphone then I'll listen to that, nowadays I just want to hear my monk if surrounding noise isn't an issue.

But that just me :D

May 30, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #4,190 of 7,442
Yes if you put it that way then it's true. But I think people hesitate to compare because it's different especially with their physical nature and strength that accompany them..simple perspective,

Iem=seal/bass quantity/full body quite narrow stage.

open hp=big open sound/natural, bass quality

Earbud=minimum seal/awareness / open / airy and natural.

Also I belive earbud not suppose to replace other gear like iem instead they compliments. Not at least we found iem that can excel all rounder, and that wouldn't be cheap. However good earbud can make open headphone redundant IMO

if I want iem sound I listen to iem. If I want to listen to open back full headphone then I'll listen to that, nowadays I just want to hear my monk if surrounding noise isn't an issue.

But that just me
biggrin.gif

Good post. Good earbuds (aka VE earbuds) have made my iem's largely redundant. I find I simply like the earbud comfort more, and I don't think it's healthy having the ears plugged up with iems. Also, the VE earbuds sounds so awesome that I don't desire to listen to my iems very often. 

Headphones are another story though - I can't give them up.

May 31, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #4,191 of 7,442

Headphones are another story though - I can't give them up.

haha on the contrary I still listen to my iem, but my appreciation for them somewhat different now, and yes when I'm back to my iem the volume I listen to drastically lower, made me question if safety hearing mechanism went inactive when I hear earbud? however in case of headphone I only have superluxes and UE6000.. I have no desire to listen to them anymore LOL, part of it because they don't resolve as half as monk+ and I can't listen to them while laying around freely.

BTW my hiegi made sneak arrival just now while I'm typing!! gonna give them a listen. lucky I don't have much work today at my workshop,!! yet..

May 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,192 of 7,442

I'm more IEM guy but these two are my favorites, i always bring monk in my dap case.

May 31, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #4,193 of 7,442
I spoke too soon, suddenly bombarded with work and customers!! evaluating hiegi will have to wait. still I pop one just to try, very comfy I must say, no more ear grating (at first) as with monk porous foam. 

May 31, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #4,194 of 7,442
I spoke too soon, suddenly bombarded with work and customers!! evaluating hiegi will have to wait. still I pop one just to try, very comfy I must say, no more ear grating (at first) as with monk porous foam. 

Waiting for your impressions. :)

I was more of an iem guy and I find them more comfortable but now I can't listen to them. I only have a pair of Piston 3, which I use to make calls because I have a Xiaomi phone too and the mic works great with it, but the sound is not there. The soundstage is too narrow and it's too analytical for my taste now, that's why the Monks were life changing to me. They make me learn how to appreciate even more other headphones.

Anyway, it's a different experience and I enjoy any type of headphones. The Shure SRH440 with HM5 pads are still my favourites.

May 31, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #4,195 of 7,442
I'm going to be using the 1MORE Piston Pod Earbuds silicone ear loops for increased fit, comfort, and see/feel how they fare with the MPER:

May 31, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #4,196 of 7,442
Hey guys, I noticed something weird.

Someone else is selling monk for $5.99 USD and free shipping...

Any comments? At first glance it has 0 Orders but if you click on the item you can see the transaction history, it seems like some people have already taken the bait.

Is someone else stealing the intellectual property and copying it? Or is this an authorised reseller?

The store also has three diamonds... o_O.

May 31, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #4,197 of 7,442
Hey guys, I noticed something weird.

Someone else is selling monk for $5.99 USD and free shipping...

Any comments? At first glance it has 0 Orders but if you click on the item you can see the transaction history, it seems like some people have already taken the bait.

Is someone else stealing the intellectual property and copying it? Or is this an authorised reseller?

The store also has three diamonds... o_O.
fake :hushed:

May 31, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4,199 of 7,442
Thanks for all the sound comparisons guys, actually i ordered a pair of monks three days ago. I just couldn't wait to listen to them myself!
I think these will be perfect for me to listen to orchestral pieces and play along in practice rooms where there are no speakers.
Or to watch Netflix while practicing :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back