[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,867 of 7,442
Do anyone think Monk are sound similar to HD201?, they are sound very alike from my memories of HD201.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,869 of 7,442
Hello all,

due to the increased impedance, will the bass suffer on 32 Ohm outputs with the Monk Plus?

@golov17

how would you compare the bottom range to the previous Monk with and without amp? :)

Thanks all,

will order at least one expansion set Monk Plus to have those nice rubber rings and ear hoox! Depending on the sq answers, perhaps some more :wink:

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #2,870 of 7,442
I'm thinking about modding one pair of my monks to permanently limit the volume so my young son can use them. Obviously I could just buy an extension with a volume dial and superglue it to half way or something. It sounds more fun to put a couple resistors in line though. But what size would I need? Has anyone done something similar?

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,871 of 7,442
Hello all,

due to the increased impedance, will the bass suffer on 32 Ohm outputs with the Monk Plus?

@golov17

how would you compare the bottom range to the previous Monk with and without amp? :)

Thanks all,

will order at least one expansion set Monk Plus to have those nice rubber rings and ear hoox! Depending on the sq answers, perhaps some more :wink:
count is about the same, maybe somewhat larger sub bass in the new..

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #2,872 of 7,442

I received my Monk Plus yesterday and have been listening ever since and comparing it to my original Monk.

I have to be honest with you guys, I prefer the original. The Plus has obviously better build materials being used but the sound change is quite drastic, to my ears. The original Monk could be properly driven by even my Fiio X1 player but the Monk plus needs more amping, to say the least. I didn't hear nearly the amount of bass I was used to from it until I plugged it into my Schiit Magni 2 headphone amplifier. Even then, it extends less but is more controlled than the original Monk.

Also the overall sound signature has changed to be more neutral sounding. The mids aren't as forwarded as they were before. Even amped, this gives a less impactful feeling in the acoustic guitars and vocals that I loved in the original. However, I'm sure your preferences may vary with the Plus because it still sounds better than any other earbuds I've ever heard - just not the original Monk. I'm glad I bought two of the original because I'm going to still be using those.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #2,874 of 7,442

I received my Monk Plus yesterday and have been listening ever since and comparing it to my original Monk.

I have to be honest with you guys, I prefer the original. The Plus has obviously better build materials being used but the sound change is quite drastic, to my ears. The original Monk could be properly driven by even my Fiio X1 player but the Monk plus needs more amping, to say the least. I didn't hear nearly the amount of bass I was used to from it until I plugged it into my Schiit Magni 2 headphone amplifier. Even then, it extends less but is more controlled than the original Monk.

Also the overall sound signature has changed to be more neutral sounding. The mids aren't as forwarded as they were before. Even amped, this gives a less impactful feeling in the acoustic guitars and vocals that I loved in the original. However, I'm sure your preferences may vary with the Plus because it still sounds better than any other earbuds I've ever heard - just not the original Monk. I'm glad I bought two of the original because I'm going to still be using those.

That´s exactly what I´ve expected when I read golov saying Monk + sounds more like asura. That´s why I´ve cancelled my order. I´m also glad I have 6 spare Monks at home with me!  :) 

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,875 of 7,442
New has a "harder" sound vs more air in the old, on the other hand, it gives it a more controlled sound without too much "echo", so that a new, more advantageous for complex and fast music genres, IMHO

The airy sound is what I love about the Monk. Don´t wanna be without it!

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,878 of 7,442
I bot a 2ndhand tiny mook ampifier..all ready for Monk+,
Doubt my samsung Note alone will hv enuf juice to wake it up :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,879 of 7,442
Time will show the justification for the changes. Be or not to be
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe it would be possible for Lee to keep the Monk available for purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back