[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 13, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,831 of 7,442
Totally agree! Was just explaining to my girl yesterday (who says that she doesn't hear any differences between different buds / headphones / equipment, and that she has bad ears to boot) that sonically speaking these sound like 100E or more to me. It's just that simple: everone needs a pair (and spares) ! ....She just looked at me like I was nuts :D

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,835 of 7,442
I gave one to my neibours and they want one with a mic and remote buttons.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,837 of 7,442
All right maybe I was a bit over exaggerated with the $150 value, it was during the first listening. :)
Though it is still very good, for $5, unbelievably nice set. How would I know anyways it's worth when I don't even
buy new stuff apart from this one and only a few others I plan to...
Still, let's say, the Monks are so far the best worth set of buds I have for the money. I bought a Sony MDR-ED238 for 4$, but
the Monks beat that bud imho. Of course oldschool sony is another world but the Monks are just perfect for the price.
I have made recommendations, now my friends and my brother are trying to persuade me to order the Monk for them...pffff :D
Will do of course, as they deserve all the love and appreciation. 
etysmile.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,838 of 7,442
I had a number of (mostly cheaper) Sony buds in the past, but I got the best sound from my MDR-E888's. They didn't turn out to be so durable though. I *think* they had more presence in the low end but for sure didn't have the same amount of treble extension, air to them or (micro) details that the Monks provide me. They were a bit more comfortable to my ears though, although as Lee already told me my ears really are adjusting to the Monks and they are becoming increasingly comfortable (can wear them for longer before slight discomfort begins, and no more pain. They gave me slightly painful ears after extended listening sessions at the start). Honesty commands me to point out that the quality of my source and format has improved from the time when I used to listen to the MDR-E888's though, and my experiences with those are just from (old!) memories. They were nice buds but from memory, as far as that is reliable (not too much :wink: ) the Monk's definitely outdo them soundwise.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,840 of 7,442
***delete me***

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,841 of 7,442
  I had a number of (mostly cheaper) Sony buds in the past, but I got the best sound from my MDR-E888's. They didn't turn out to be so durable though. I *think* they had more presence in the low end but for sure didn't have the same amount of treble extension, air to them or (micro) details that the Monks provide me. They were a bit more comfortable to my ears though, although as Lee already told me my ears really are adjusting to the Monks and they are becoming increasingly comfortable (can wear them for longer before slight discomfort begins, and no more pain. They gave me slightly painful ears after extended listening sessions at the start). Honesty commands me to point out that the quality of my source and format has improved from the time when I used to listen to the MDR-E888's though, and my experiences with those are just from (old!) memories. They were nice buds but from memory, as far as that is reliable (not too much :wink: ) the Monk's definitely outdo them soundwise.

I have never tried the E888s before, but reading some opinions, especially here in Head-Fi, those who were and are into vintage Sony stuff are rather agree that the E888s are mediocre compared to the E282, E252, E484, even the E472 is a better set of buds according to some opinions here. I had an E484, I own an E472, a E262, E557 (and some verticals), and while the Monk is very good, it can not stand against the mighty vintage Sony and Aiwa  buds before the E888. They are more balanced and natural sounding. But this does not take any credit from the Monk, not from me at least. I don't expect them to be better than any of those legends, the Monk holds it's own with over the average SQ and soundstage.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,845 of 7,442
I agree. How is the Asura compared to the Monk? Any Asura owners here?

Monk naked, Asura 2.0 with Hiegi Donuts:
Compared to the Monk the Asura 2.0 are noticable more mid centric. Vocals are more forward and the overall sound is thinner as a result of the missing bass fundament. Although being a bit brighter I still find the Asura 2.0 being equally smooth as the Monk.

Listening to Omni-Cheerleader with the Asura 2.0 the bass drive is missing and it's obvious that this is a kind of music that they don't perform their best with. Switching to the Monk the drive is back. Listening to Annie Lennox's verison of I put a spell on you the strength of the Asura 2.0 with vocals and acoustic instruments is obvious with better focus and higher resolution in the presentation.

To sum it up I think that yhe Monk is atually the better allrounder but if you listen to a lot of singer/songwriter and other acoustic music with vocals the Asura 2.0 will perform better.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back