[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Dec 4, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #526 of 7,442
BTW, zhibli06, i'd consider sending a pair of monks to Tyll Hertsens and/or |joker|. They both run blogs (respectively innerfidelity.com and theheadphonelist.com) where they do LOADS of iems and headphones reviews, and are really higly regarded around here.

Having them talking about the monk (and likely talking really good about the monk) would be quite a nice advertisement :wink:

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #527 of 7,442
BTW, zhibli06, i'd consider sending a pair of monks to Tyll Hertsens and/or |joker|. They both run blogs (respectively innerfidelity.com and theheadphonelist.com) where they do LOADS of iems and headphones reviews, and are really higly regarded around here.

Having them talking about the monk (and likely talking really good about the monk) would be quite a nice advertisement :wink:

(Si sente proprio che hai un buon cuore, e tutto lo spirito del sud!)

Sorry for the OT, guys, and stay chill until the reply of Lee.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #528 of 7,442
(Si sente proprio che hai un buon cuore, e tutto lo spirito del sud!)

Sorry for the OT, guys, and stay chill until the reply of Lee.

/Italian
Eh, 'ste cuffiette suonano paurosamente bene per costare appena 5 dollari, i ragazzi della VE si meritano tutto il supporto possibile.
/italian

So, after about 20 hours of play time on the monks, i feel ready to give a bit of a more thorough opinion:

First off, the fit: althought i'm no longer used to earbuds (haven't used one for at least a decade), i've had no real issues with the monk. I easily found the best way to wear them to get the best sound, almost right away. This with the foams on, i didn't even try them without the foams (doughnut foams), as i already know from past experiencies that without foams i'm less comfortable.

Isolation: well, as this is an earbud, and a particularly open one, too, isolation is almost non-existent. The monks aren't a really good option for particularly noisy environments like trains and such.

Microphonics: without music, i can clearly hear the cable rub on my beard, and that's something i had never experienced. Also, swiping the fingers along the cable the noise is audible. But all of this is not too loud, in fact, with music playing, non of those noises are heard.

Build/Design: at first look, these are just another 5$ earbud, but the build is actually quite good. No fancy cables or materials, but the cable is thick enough to suggest it won't disintegrate after a month and doesn't feel too cheap, the jack is quite bulky and seems rugged enough, and has also a nice, long strain relief. The earpieces shells also seem quite durable.

Sound: I'm no expert here, i've been listening to music, mostly through earphones, since i was a baby, but i never practiced critical listening, so don't expect a rigorous description here. I'll just do my best 
etysmile.gif
:
  1. Bass: Well, these things deliver LOADS of bass, and not just in relation to other earbuds, but also when compared with quite a bit of IEMs. For example, the monks have quite a bit more bass than my se215, which are already a bassy IEM. Luckily, the bass is of good quality too. It's quite punchy, and for a earbud goes quite low. There seems to be quite a bump in the mid-bass, that is usally fine, but with some tracks can get in the way. All in all, quite a good performance here;
  2. Mids: Lovely. These are the best mids i've heard to date. Even thought that mid-bas hump can sometime get in the way, the mids are really clear and lively. Really lifelike. On acustical tracks (well, the few i have, at least) the mids really shine. Vocals are so warm, present, yet it all feels really airy, or maybe i'd be better saying spacious;
  3. Highs: I quite like the highs, now, keep in mind, i'm a bit of a treble sensitive guy, so i don't like particularly enhanced highs. The monk's highs are a bit recessed in relation to the mids, but not by much. They're also quite a bit more extended than the se215's one, for a comparison, and less recessed, too.
  4. Soundstage: really good. In comparison, the se215 feels quite a bit closed in, and congested.

So, all in all, the monks are REALLY good. The sound is lush, spacious, and lifelike. It feels like listening to a pair of good bookshelf speakers. These are definitely smooth sounding, but still lively. The bass is good, imponent, but still quite punchy.
The monks are exactly the kind of earphones that one buys as a backup unit, but eventually ends up using as a main earphone.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #531 of 7,442
Excellent review @Coldheart29
!!
Well, makes me want to get the monks all the more.
So much for the crave though as it is currently out of stock :frowning2:

Yeah, I'm checking VE's Aliexpress everyday hoping to see that the Monks are back on sale... I'm scared they'll be sold out the moment they're available again... If only there was a special booking system hehe

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #532 of 7,442
  Soundstage is really really wide with very good separation. Monk gives you the feeling of natural/ default sound.
Compared them with Takstar pro80 (I know the comparison is not fair enough) but apart from the details retrieval they both are very enjoyable. Bass is strikingly punchier on Monk.

How would you compare their soundstage to the Pro 80's?  

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #534 of 7,442
Yeah, I'm checking VE's Aliexpress everyday hoping to see that the Monks are back on sale... I'm scared they'll be sold out the moment they're available again... If only there was a special booking system hehe

Same here lol! Hope the new stock will be enough for all of us this time.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #536 of 7,442
Just posted my first review in the headgear section, and it is about the Monk!

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #538 of 7,442
I seem to think(correct me) that the long Monk plug has a resister in there which if you swap cables will no longer be there and it will sound worse. Easier to drive but probably add some peaks here and there and lose the Monk frequency balance and clean sound it is praised for.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #539 of 7,442
  I seem to think(correct me) that the long Monk plug has a resister in there which if you swap cables will no longer be there and it will sound worse. Easier to drive but probably add some peaks here and there and lose the Monk frequency balance and clean sound it is praised for.

is this just a supposition, or something basen on something written somewhere?
Because the monk is just 32 ohms, not really high, and i don't think there would've been the need to increase it's impedance, and to such a low value, too.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #540 of 7,442
sorry

just a simple plug

but the stock cable is 32x0.06mmx4 with 4n ofc

kind hard to replace without bleeding ur wallet a little

therefore with normal upgrade cable for monk, could be a downgrade lol

cheers

lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back