[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #7,054 of 7,442
The Makka Limited Edition (Blood Orange) Monk Plus is smoother and offers more-in-depth sound than the stock cabled Monk Plus' to my ears. They have been burned in over 500 hours.

The cable is one of the sturdiest I've used, and the 3.5mm SE plug is really premium looking and feeling.

Glad to have the Blood Orange as part of the VE arsenal.

Pictures of the Blood Orange are below -- I had to add watermarks and username because my VE Candy Edition picture was lifted before and used as an eBay listing picture:

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #7,055 of 7,442
The Makka Limited Edition (Blood Orange) Monk Plus is smoother and offers more-in-depth sound than the stock cabled Monk Plus' to my ears. They have been burned in over 500 hours.

The cable is one of the sturdiest I've used, and the 3.5mm SE plug is really premium looking and feeling.

Glad to have the Blood Orange as part of the VE arsenal.

Thank you for sharing. I have a pair coming my way. How would you compare to Candy? Candy and stock cabled MP sounded close to me. Blood Orange a more profound difference? I recently moved and don't have all my toys with me and decided to treat myself to this :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #7,056 of 7,442
funny thing, all i hear about is how good abnormal made the first monk (that cost 180 US) but no one has tried the bluemonk yet, I can't find any info anywhere

rholupat say this on their site

Hi customers,

This earbud modification worked by ABnormal, it uses Vemonk default earbud then they did some modification in cable, plug and the driver. I surprsingly amazed with this Bluemonk, it is very balance with its main character is warm.It has proportional bass quantity, not too tight but gives proper bass impact. In my opinion, it also has outstanding soundstage, separation, detail and the treble is friendly and won't hurt your ears.

My slight impression above is according to what I hear and subjective, so it probably different with others. Be wise !.

I had forgotten about this earbud, and just recently remembered it existed from a post on earbuds roundup, yet no one has posted anything about it, so I thought I might ask here on a forum post that is all about monk earbuds

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #7,057 of 7,442
Thank you for sharing. I have a pair coming my way. How would you compare to Candy? Candy and stock cabled MP sounded close to me. Blood Orange a more profound difference? I recently moved and don't have all my toys with me and decided to treat myself to this :)
Congrats on the acquisition!

The Monk Plus Candy Edition isn't too drastic of a difference in sound compared to the stock cabled Monk Plus to my ears, but when I compared both, the Candy Edition confirms more of a breathy, open perceived sound, especially in the upper midrange and lower treble of the frequency spectrum. Differences, again, to my ears, are not drastic between the two versions.

I believe the sound difference between the Blood Orange and the Candy Edition/stock cabled Monk Plus (I am grouping the Candy and stock together for emphasis) is a good margin different than the Candy compared to the stock observed differences.

The Blood Orange is more of a warm, smooth sound, with fantastic depth for a Monk Plus, especially when compared to the Candy/stock cabled Monk Plus. The Candy Edition is more of a vibrant, brilliant and dynamic sound compared to the warmer, fuller, lusher and slightly more laid back nature of the Blood Orange.

The Blood Orange's cable is sturdy, but is more prone to microphonics compared to the Candy/stock cabling.

The Blood Orange emits the most difference in sound compared to any other Monk and Monk Plus versions that I own.

The Monk Plus representations have something to offer, may it be with regards to the cabling, aesthetics, or perceived audible distinctions.

All versions are special - each in their own right, and owners should be proud to have the Monk Plus versions that they are able to obtain.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7,058 of 7,442
@moedawg140 I bet it has everything to do with the SPC cabling. I did one with Toxic Cables Cable... and the differences I heard seem to echo what your impressions are. Do you have Asura or Zen that you can compare these to? I'm wondering how far up the chain they reach? I haven't been able to win a pair, so I bought the "Red" monks and ordered a Junkosha cable to make my own Bloody Monks (Hehehe).

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #7,059 of 7,442
@moedawg140 I bet it has everything to do with the SPC cabling. I did one with Toxic Cables Cable... and the differences I heard seem to echo what your impressions are. Do you have Asura or Zen that you can compare these to? I'm wondering how far up the chain they reach? I haven't been able to win a pair, so I bought the "Red" monks and ordered a Junkosha cable to make my own Bloody Monks (Hehehe).
The cabling is different. The Blood Orange uses silver cabling (not SPC), and the connectors of the Blood Orange compared to other Monk Plus versions are not the exact same as well.

Check my profile to see what current VE gear I've got -- with that said, I've got the Asura and Zen but I don't have a preference for "how far" the Blood Orange is sound-wise compared to the Asura and Zen. I will say that price to performance and aesthetics as an entirety, I currently really enjoy the Candy Edition and the colored editions of the Monk Plus.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #7,060 of 7,442
Congrats on the acquisition!

The Monk Plus Candy Edition isn't too drastic of a difference in sound compared to the stock cabled Monk Plus to my ears, but when I compared both, the Candy Edition confirms more of a breathy, open perceived sound, especially in the upper midrange and lower treble of the frequency spectrum. Differences, again, to my ears, are not drastic between the two versions.

I believe the sound difference between the Blood Orange and the Candy Edition/stock cabled Monk Plus (I am grouping the Candy and stock together for emphasis) is a good margin different than the Candy compared to the stock observed differences.

The Blood Orange is more of a warm, smooth sound, with fantastic depth for a Monk Plus, especially when compared to the Candy/stock cabled Monk Plus. The Candy Edition is more of a vibrant, brilliant and dynamic sound compared to the warmer, fuller, lusher and slightly more laid back nature of the Blood Orange.

The Blood Orange's cable is sturdy, but is more prone to microphonics compared to the Candy/stock cabling.

The Blood Orange emits the most difference in sound compared to any other Monk and Monk Plus versions that I own.

The Monk Plus representations have something to offer, may it be with regards to the cabling, aesthetics, or perceived audible distinctions.

All versions are special - each in their own right, and owners should be proud to have the Monk Plus versions that they are able to obtain.

Thank you much for these impressions. When you first posted pics of your Blood Orange and described the sound as smooth, I was intrigued to attempt to win one. I had missed out on the last couple of opportunities. I was hoping the signature would be a bit more laid back and warm, as you described in your last post. I am even more excited to receive these now.

I believe I had listened to your Candy at RMAF 2016 at the Echobox booth and was able to win a couple thereafter from Lee. Monk plus was one of my most listened to headphones of 2016 after original Monk late 2015/early 2016. Lately I have been giving some other headphones more of my time and my last impressions of the Monk plus were that upper mids/treble were sounding a bit harsh (though this is likely because my ears were adjusted to a different sound signature at the time). That said, I am even more excited to test the Blood Orange with its perceived more laid back nature. Thanks again! I can't wait for them to arrive.

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #7,061 of 7,442
Thank you much for these impressions. When you first posted pics of your Blood Orange and described the sound as smooth, I was intrigued to attempt to win one. I had missed out on the last couple of opportunities. I was hoping the signature would be a bit more laid back and warm, as you described in your last post. I am even more excited to receive these now.

I believe I had listened to your Candy at RMAF 2016 at the Echobox booth and was able to win a couple thereafter from Lee. Monk plus was one of my most listened to headphones of 2016 after original Monk late 2015/early 2016. Lately I have been giving some other headphones more of my time and my last impressions of the Monk plus were that upper mids/treble were sounding a bit harsh (though this is likely because my ears were adjusted to a different sound signature at the time). That said, I am even more excited to test the Blood Orange with its perceived more laid back nature. Thanks again! I can't wait for them to arrive.
You're welcome!

Very cool that you listened to my Candy Edition! If I see you at RMAF this year, I'll probably have a few more VE Earbuds with me like the Monk Plus Transparent 2.5 Balanced version (with the awesome VE 2.5 to 3.5 Litz adapter), so you or anyone who listens to it can hook it up to a balanced DAP like my QP2R that I'll have there and listen to the possible perceived differences of the MP balanced and unbalanced.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #7,062 of 7,442
You're welcome!

Very cool that you listened to my Candy Edition! If I see you at RMAF this year, I'll probably have a few more VE Earbuds with me like the Monk Plus Transparent 2.5 Balanced version (with the awesome VE 2.5 to 3.5 Litz adapter), so you or anyone who listens to it can hook it up to a balanced DAP like my QP2R that I'll have there and listen to the possible perceived differences of the MP balanced and unbalanced.
Man that sounds awesome! I'm hoping I can make it to the show this year. I recently moved and getting the time off may be tough but I'm certainly going to try. I can't even imagine what a balanced Monk Plus must sound like through that DAP. I guess if I do fly in for the show I'll have a good excuse for attending more than 1 day (as had been the case the last few times I attended).:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #7,063 of 7,442
You're welcome!

I've been wondering about the difference between balanced and unbalanced. I have had to rely a lot on my unbalanced Monk+ these past weeks and have grown to really love the sound of them, especially with vocal music such as Agnes Obel. If my ears don't recover over the next few weeks I have been contemplating getting some headphones, but the thought of getting some balanced Monk+ or even Zen 2.0 has been crossing my mind too. It would be cheaper than the headphones and I already enjoy the sound a lot. Will need to figure out how to get them with the extra ear hooks and such because I have been struggling to get a secure fit.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #7,064 of 7,442
I've been wondering about the difference between balanced and unbalanced. I have had to rely a lot on my unbalanced Monk+ these past weeks and have grown to really love the sound of them, especially with vocal music such as Agnes Obel. If my ears don't recover over the next few weeks I have been contemplating getting some headphones, but the thought of getting some balanced Monk+ or even Zen 2.0 has been crossing my mind too. It would be cheaper than the headphones and I already enjoy the sound a lot. Will need to figure out how to get them with the extra ear hooks and such because I have been struggling to get a secure fit.
Just curious, are you using the same source when you listen to the balanced and unbalanced versions? I prefer the balanced, but I believe that is because the balanced output of the DAC/amp I am using (LH Labs Geekout V2 Inifnity) is superior to its SE output.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #7,065 of 7,442
Just curious, are you using the same source when you listen to the balanced and unbalanced versions? I prefer the balanced, but I believe that is because the balanced output of the DAC/amp I am using (LH Labs Geekout V2 Inifnity) is superior to its SE output.
Yes it will be the same source, as I only have the AK70 DAP. So far I have not had an opportunity to hear the balanced out from that, but I understand it is more laid back and a bit warmer, something that suits my preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back