[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Mar 2, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #6,860 of 7,442
Need to ask the wife for that

Well if she's using them on a daily basis I guess they're good enough.

Has anyone try the full Hiegi foam cover on the monk plus? My stock foam kept falling off and it's pretty loose. I was wondering if there is any difference in term of sound.

Also what does Donut Foam do to the Monk, What kind of sound difference does it makes.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #6,861 of 7,442
Need to ask the wife for that

Well if she's using them on a daily basis I guess they're good enough.

Has anyone try the full Hiegi foam cover on the monk plus? My stock foam kept falling off and it's pretty loose. I was wondering if there is any difference in term of sound.

Also what does Donut Foam do to the Monk, What kind of sound difference does it makes.

Thanks

Hiegi donut is my favorite.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #6,864 of 7,442
I ordered a pair of espressso monk pluses and must admit I am highly disappointed. I own several pair of the standard monk plus and they all sound the same and are really, really good at the price point, and given the design constraints of a tiny driver. 

Considering the price, dynamic range and soundstage are very good. The sound is a little grainy and low and high end resolution leave something to be desired but again, grading on a curve, these are an excellent value. 

I though the braided cable version (I understand this is the candy in a different color), at a significantly higher price, might sound a bit more refined, or offer some other benefit given the price bump.

Sadly the espresso's sound far WORSE! And they are worse in every conceivable way. Overall, every aspect of the sound signature suffers. The sound is noticeably darker, and yet there is no benefit in terms of bass impact or tightness. The highs are noticeably less present. Dynamic range and sound stage are far weaker. 

I've tried the espresso's with standard thin foams, donut foams and the rubber donuts. Each offers an increasing amount of treble and weaker bass but none improves dynamic range or moves the espresso's back towards the sense of spaciousness of the standard monks. 

These are a major disappointment. Fortunately, I have a handful (or more) pair of standard monk plus and will use those happily from here on out. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #6,865 of 7,442
  These are a major disappointment. Fortunately, I have a handful (or more) pair of standard monk plus and will use those happily from here on out. 

Wonder if your pair is defective - I have like 3 or 4 pairs of the Candy Editions as well as 2 Expresso and they all sound exactly the same as my regular Monk+ ones. Far as I can tell anyway, and out of really good desktop amps too so I'd reckon if there were differences to be heard I'd be hearing them. What a bizarre experience.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #6,866 of 7,442
I suppose it depends on how you define "defective." If inferior sound quality is the criterion, then these espresso's are indeed defective. 

If functionality in the strict sense is the criterion, they are not defective. Both drivers work and produce sound so there is no defect in that sense. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,867 of 7,442
  I suppose it depends on how you define "defective." If inferior sound quality is the criterion, then these espresso's are indeed defective. 

If functionality in the strict sense is the criterion, they are not defective. Both drivers work and produce sound so there is no defect in that sense. 

Understood, yea I meant maybe the tuning of the drivers might potentially be off or something as mine sound fine, I find it extremely hard to believe that a pair with proper working drivers would sound awful compared to the regular MPs.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #6,869 of 7,442
Just got the Monk+! I'm from the PH and I just stumbled the Monk+ from people selling them online. Many people here dont have CCards so we buy online instead. :D

It costs me $8 for a pair of smoke MPs. I got them together with the KZ ZS3. Unfortunately my KZzs3 was defective. Goodthing the monks were there for my audio fix. That soundstage bro!! Too good for this price. Now I am thinking of getting the purple, coffee and espresso editon. It's starting..

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #6,870 of 7,442
Now I am thinking of getting the purple, coffee and espresso editon. It's starting..

yes, the M+ poison is starting for you. We here are so used to the poison that when another color comes out, we just automatically buy it
biggrin.gif

..................and welcome to Head-Fi.........sorry about your wallet
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back