[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #6,646 of 7,442
Thats decent...compared to what I'm experiencing !

If it goes like this, I'm estimating a 3 week shipping time. And yeah, I don't know about the Customs dept. as they are very particular about Chinese imports.
So, it might take a month :frowning2:

Hopefully sooner, if not, a month is still a lot faster than Massdrop from end of drop to finish! Woo hoo!

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6,648 of 7,442
Hi guys , I was wondering if the new monk plus fits well with the Heigi donut foam ? Would it be too tight or too loose to fit in ? Thanks

Hiegi will fit fine. They are thicker than monk foams, so they will feel bigger in your ears. I like Hiegi foam  ( full or donut ) for adding bass to any earbud, so i have 3 packs of Hiegi. But, it doesn't feel right to me to use non monk foam on monk, so I use Hiegi on Asura 2.0 and Monk donuts on my Monk+ and Candy 
biggrin.gif

I will admit i think the Candy sounds ever so slightly smoother and I only assume it's due to the even nicer cable?

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #6,651 of 7,442
Has anyone cut holes in the foams to change the sound ?

Yes, check out what Bengkel Macro does for the Edimun. You can do it yourself and it sounds better than with donuts IMO.

Those who have Edimun V3 might have noticed that it comes with customized red foam with 4 smaller holes. That gives it more or less a donut foam quality (that won't over-dampen treble) but without the downside of a looser fit which tends to make dunut foam falls out easily. While donut foam can be a life saver for certain earbuds from time to time, it isn't particularly suitable for MX500 style front cover (VE's, BugGuy's, etc) as this kind of cover don't have any sound vents near the center, but located closer to the outer edge - so they still get somewhat over dampened even with donut foam. Inspired by the Edimun V3 foam pad, I did some modification of my own to create the multi-holes foam pad that will work better with MX500 style earbuds. The holes are located closer to the edge and thus will expose some sound vents for more treble. It also has the upside of getting a tighter fit than donut foam. I won't say it is the perfect solution for every earbuds, but it does work better than donut foam on many occasion.

Get yourself a leather belt hole puncher and punch the foam away - you won't actually punch a hole with the puncher, but it will leave a mark on the foam that you can tear away with your fingers easily. Push the foam slightly inward when punching and the hole will be closer to the edge - but don't get too close to the edge though, as you will want to leave around 3~4mm of space.

Three to four holes are usually easier to do and three is my usual choice. Here is how they look compared to the foam on Edimun V3 (*in red)

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #6,652 of 7,442
Well, if I had to drink American coffee I rather go with green or black tea

American coffee is a bit like Monty Python joke about American beer   :wink:

My local roaster purchases only shade-grown organic Chiapas beans...so we not only help the environment, but help the rebels fight the gov't...and the coffee is better than anything out of Starbuck$ or any chain., let alone small shops...top that.:sunglasses:

Monk content: I still really like both versions. Original is so fine. Purple is my favorite color...

Cheers.☕

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #6,653 of 7,442
My local roaster purchases only shade-grown organic Chiapas beans...so we not only help the environment, but help the rebels fight the gov't...and the coffee is better than anything out of Starbuck$ or any chain., let alone small shops...top that.:sunglasses:

Monk content: I still really like both versions. Original is so fine. Purple is my favorite color...

Cheers.☕

I sometimes roast my own coffee. My local green bean guy buys from lots of local coops, so I get to support lots of local peeps around the world. Cool!

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #6,654 of 7,442
Hiegi will fit fine. They are thicker than monk foams, so they will feel bigger in your ears. I like Hiegi foam  ( full or donut ) for adding bass to any earbud, so i have 3 packs of Hiegi. But, it doesn't feel right to me to use non monk foam on monk, so I use Hiegi on Asura 2.0 and Monk donuts on my Monk+ and Candy :D

I will admit i think the Candy sounds ever so slightly smoother and I only assume it's due to the even nicer cable?

So hows the sound difference between the heigi full foams and the heigi donut one ? Which one is better if I only want a little boost on the bass ? Thanks

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #6,656 of 7,442
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #6,657 of 7,442
if  u have ePacket 

always go with ePacket

Hi Lee, i just received my monk from taobao and thanks for making these little gems , the SQ is definitely superb, I'm just hoping it's durable enough though.are there any other ways instead of using 順豐? Already thinking of getting the 修羅。 anyway keep it up and cheers from Hong Kong.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #6,658 of 7,442
Jan 10, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #6,659 of 7,442
So hows the sound difference between the heigi full foams and the heigi donut one ? Which one is better if I only want a little boost on the bass ? Thanks

I don't know about full hiegis, but donut hiegis boosts the bass compared to thin Monk+ stock foams, and I didn't really like sound with donuts back then because of too boosted bass.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,660 of 7,442
Monk plus arrived this afternoon, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I wanted some earbuds for listening while lying down, and my Mo-Fis just aren't built for resting your head back due to the elbow design of the headband.

I didn't expect much from them, and my earbud experience is from years ago using Sony buds for about £10, but these are pretty good. Thankfully they seal nicely with the foams on.

Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back