[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,951 of 7,442
It might be asking too much, but I'd love a detachable cable.  Yes I know part of the beauty of the monk is the inexpensive cost, but I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a detachable cable with a standard connection, not like the odd MMCX the VSD3 has, and that would also allow people to use a mic or not.  This would also allow people to use upgraded cable materials if they so desire, not to mention a balanced connection.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #1,952 of 7,442
  Thanks for your offer. By the way, I'm about to buy an iPod 5 60GB (white) for about 50 USD, I hope it's a good deal...
For the Monk, of course. :D

Just saw your post, which reminded me to give it a listen.  I'm currently using a 60gb 5th Gen like the one you're looking to buy.  The dac is one I've always felt was a solid dac, so you have nothing to worry about in that respect.  As far as amping, I'm hearing nothing that makes me feel the monk is at all being neglected, so if you're going to use the ipod alone, I'd personally have zero issue recommending it as a viable path.  Radiohead sounds grand on this particular combo!

Just for clarification, my iPod is using rockbox, so it's not a pure iPod experience, but I'm a fan of that firmware.  If your iPod gives you any issues, you can always look into replacing the battery (something I should do probably) and that can be pretty inexpensive, I think around $8 which will include the tools (most likely anyways) to change the battery.  When it's open, if you're feeling adventurous, you can also replace the hard drive with either an SSD which for current costs can easily increase the storage space and maybe battery life, or a CF card which will also easily increase the storage capacity.  Either path including the battery should most likely run you under $100 total unless you try to go for a huge amount of storage.  If you choose to go any of these paths, I'd suggest reading this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,954 of 7,442

Just saw your post, which reminded me to give it a listen.  I'm currently using a 60gb 5th Gen like the one you're looking to buy.  The dac is one I've always felt was a solid dac, so you have nothing to worry about in that respect.  As far as amping, I'm hearing nothing that makes me feel the monk is at all being neglected, so if you're going to use the ipod alone, I'd personally have zero issue recommending it as a viable path.  Radiohead sounds grand on this particular combo!

Just for clarification, my iPod is using rockbox, so it's not a pure iPod experience, but I'm a fan of that firmware.  If your iPod gives you any issues, you can always look into replacing the battery (something I should do probably) and that can be pretty inexpensive, I think around $8 which will include the tools (most likely anyways) to change the battery.  When it's open, if you're feeling adventurous, you can also replace the hard drive with either an SSD which for current costs can easily increase the storage space and maybe battery life, or a CF card which will also easily increase the storage capacity.  Either path including the battery should most likely run you under $100 total unless you try to go for a huge amount of storage.  If you choose to go any of these paths, I'd suggest reading this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

Thanks, I've read about that modding a little as well. The fact that the 60 GB version is slightly thicker than the 30 GB version gives it more possibilities. The seller says that the battery is in good condition, so if I bought that I wouldn't plan to ,,upgrade" anything. Of course if something happens to the device I should consider something.
I guess 50 bucks would be reasonable based on online searches (the iPod looks great, it even comes with a case so the seller was careful with it).
Lorspeaker, you're right, an L-shaped plug would be welcome, I always think about it connecting my Monks to the phone :)

+1 on that, this current pretty long jack almost asks for it to be snapped, or more precisely, to have a wire snapped. Like if your phone has the jack connector on top of it and you use it while your Monk's connected the cable bends, in the long run it might be too much stress to it in my opinion.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,955 of 7,442
Just, after Monk released on sale on Aliexpress, I buy often and watch the prices, I noticed that the prices of all models Edifier and many others, were falling down, which would have to somehow compete with Monk, and it brings benefit to all music lovers of earbuds with a limited budget, lol

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,956 of 7,442
I have a Fiio X1. Is it really necessary an amp with monk? Any advantages or I save the money?

You do not need an amp with the X1. My Monks sound just fine through my iPhone 6+, with or without an amp. That said it does sound really good through my x3ii+a3! But no, without an amp it is just fine.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,958 of 7,442
^Great idea! Lee's next phone should be a dual phase in-ear using Monk drivers and he should sell it for $50. 
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,961 of 7,442

for a Monk 2.0 It would be cool if they did a clear/dark red case and upgrade cable(silver or crystal). Im not a fan of adding a mic. Also include a case and add earhooks to the package. Maybe try a driver that has a little higher ohm like around 50ish. The only increase in SQ would be widen soundstage... everything else is perfect.

silver or crystal would put the Monk2 into $$$Zenzone ?!
....but life is weird, it might be a surprise hit with such a big following.

was thinkg more like small coin changes LOL
hate to see a Monk2 going beyond 10$ + -

here is something I will no do 

1st make the monk with L sharped plug as we have them for the zen and asura already, we can't all have them straight lol 
2nd it will not be 10usd +- 

here is something that I am trying to do

make the monk better sounding ( yeah , it is hard I know, but it is not impossible for us, we are still trying )

Cheers

Lee

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,962 of 7,442

1st make the monk with L sharped plug as we have them for the zen and asura already, we can't all have them straight lol 

make the monk better sounding ( yeah , it is hard I know, but it is not impossible for us, we are still trying )

Cheers

Lee

Lee why not adding a 75 ohm cable or adaptor and some thinner pads to the Monk 2.0.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #1,963 of 7,442
@ozkan can you recommend a decent 75 ohm adapter?  I'm getting quite curious myself, and while I've seen some random ones on eBay, I don't really know what to trust.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,964 of 7,442

Cheers

Lee

Good news. I'll be waiting for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back