[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,891 of 7,442
Lespeaker good luck with do-it-yourselfing!:) the more, the better you say kiler? well, I have… 3 pairs now :)

impossibly tiny those screws on the amp...gave up;
then i took another look at the hdfone socket,
n saw that the "forks" MIGHT be within reach of my array of pliers..

whew....

i went on my knees n thanked Almighty God...  :p

My home amp is an inexpensive british branded made in china Cambridge 340A...
2x40watts i believe. Gave a sweet sweet tone to my spkrs. 
Ocassionally u can spot them on Ebay for usd100?? 

Gave the Monk a deep black refined sound off the amp hdfone socket. 
Sometimes i use this amp to power the HE6. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,892 of 7,442
impossibly tiny those screws on the amp...gave up;
then i took another look at the hdfone socket,
n saw that the "forks" MIGHT be within reach of my array of pliers..

whew....

i went on my knees n thanked Almighty God...  :p

My home amp is an inexpensive british branded made in china Cambridge 340A...
2x40watts i believe. Gave a sweet sweet tone to my spkrs. 
Ocassionally u can spot them on Ebay for usd100?? 

Gave the Monk a deep black refined sound off the amp hdfone socket. 
Sometimes i use this amp to power the HE6. 

Good job with the DIY fix. Saved the Monks, too...:cold_sweat:

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,894 of 7,442
Hi,

I am a little upset because I had my Monk ear buds i my pocket inserted into a 1/4" headphone adapter. I don't know how, but the metal part of the 3.5mm plug got bent and is now at an angle.  I don't have good contact inside the plug, and it sounds terrible.

Is there any way to open up the molded plug and re-solder the wires, or is it goodbye to this set?

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,897 of 7,442
Hi golov17,

Thanks for the links. Do you know if the Monk wires can be soldered easily? I have heard that some ear bud wires are so thin that soldering burns them up.

Yes you can solder easily as the cable is thick.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #1,903 of 7,442
  thanks guys... let me find my tweezer or screwdriver :wink:

Was at the airport listening to the Monk straight off my Note1....beautiful beautiful sound. 

Lors, you are a wonderful ambassador for the Monks! And they deserve it. I appreciate anything that you appreciate about them, so it makes me very happy that you love the Monks so much. 

But where are't though as far as the Zen 2.0's are concerned? Have you heard them yet? I feel that the "World of Zen" may not be complete for you until you hear the 2.0's. Since you love the Monks so much, I might suggest the Zen 1.0's because they are basically "Monks on steroids". But alas they are no longer available (and you can't have mine lol!). However the 2.0's are equally (and debately) more awesome and have a different signature that I must suggest is somehow even more awesome. So, where are't though??? 

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,904 of 7,442
Hey all,

My Xduoo X2 came in about a week ago, so I wanted to post about my experience with the pairing so far. In general, I definitely like it. My expectations for the Xduoo X2 were probably too high though, I was hoping for it to be a giant slayer of epic proportion (much like the Monk itself). While it's not quite in the same price-to-performance ratio (the Monks one is insane imo) I'm definitely enjoying it. I mostly listen to a variety of genres and artists (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Daft Punk, Bluetech, Ott, Younger Brother, Quanta, Hibernation, Notorious BIG, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, etc etc) in FLAC (16 bit 44.1khz) during the daytime and will vary in volume between 14 to 22 depending on indoor or outdoor use. Though hiss has been reported with sensitive IEMs, I have not had any issues with that at all using the X2 with the Monks.

My hopes were that the soundstage would improve coming from my laptop (without dedicated amp) - the opposite was actually true, which was a bit of a let down for me at first being somewhat of a soundstage fanboy. I found I got a more airy feel in the high mids & treble region from the laptop, and the soundstage went from out of head (not incredibly spacious but nice, like 'in the studio' I guess) to in my head on the X2. Disappointing as I had read great things about the Xduoo X2, one of those supposedly being a really nice soundstage. I have no idea what DAC is in my laptop - random onboard one probably, but I suppose it turns out to actually be reasonably capable (it's a Dell Inspiron 15R (3537) in case anyone is wondering). The airy highs plus wider/deeper soundstage on it also gave the impression of (even) a bit better seperation straight out of the laptop.

This may sound a bit negative, but that's not the whole story thankfully :D. Apart from the soundstage not quite meeting my (probably too high) expectations having experienced better through the Monks, I do really like the X2 and the pairing. I definitely notice what they say about the X2 being a warmer source (I reverted from v7 to v6.1 and also feel it sounds a little bit better, but ymmv). Though I definitely do not experience the Monk's bass as weak (I find it nicely balanced) sometimes I wouldn't mind it to have a little bit more oomph - depending on genre, artist and sometimes song, and especially when outdoors.. The warmer X2 helps out in that department, and even more so with EQ (more later). The highs I got from the Monk using the laptop were really airy and sparkly, but thankfully the X2 still brings out a nicely detailed pleasant sound. Seperation is good.

Lastly - as noted before in X2 reviews and user experiences on here, I too am finding that the EQ function on the X2 works very well, as in: change relative frequencies WITHOUT a general degradation of sound quality. Though EQ has a sketchy rep around here, I'm happy it's there on the X2 - it plays very nicely with the Monks. Depending on the genre and mastering of the track I like to turn it on - for instance DBB (digital bass boost?) to give the lows a push. I'm experimenting with silicone bud covers atm that I just received which to my ear sound like somewhere between naked buds and the donuts - the mids and highs are unhindered but bass is (probably) a little bit lighter than I get with foamies.  The silicone covers are however grippy and so far really help the Monks stay put after I get the fit right - save a lot of adjusting, I'll probably write a bit more on the covers in a later post. Anyway, the EQ helps, for instance it puts some  extra meat on the bass of the Wailers accompanying Bob Marley and helps it stand out even when I'm walking around outside :). Though I haven't quite worked out what freqs are changed and how much, the Rock setting also seems to work nicely for - you guessed it - rock :p.

Conclusion: though I don't think the X2 has as shocking a value-for-money ratio as the Monks, considering the price paid and the performance I'm pretty happy & wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a very nice budget DAP to pair with the Monk!

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,905 of 7,442

Lors, you are a wonderful ambassador for the Monks! And they deserve it. I appreciate anything that you appreciate about them, so it makes me very happy that you love the Monks so much. 

But where are't though as far as the Zen 2.0's are concerned? Have you heard them yet? I feel that the "World of Zen" may not be complete for you until you hear the 2.0's. Since you love the Monks so much, I might suggest the Zen 1.0's because they are basically "Monks on steroids". But alas they are no longer available (and you can't have mine lol!). However the 2.0's are equally (and debately) more awesome and have a different signature that I must suggest is somehow even more awesome. So, where are't though??? 

my cheap Zen contraption...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back