2021 iMAC Audio
Jul 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mariopoli

Head-Fier
I just purchased a 24" 2021 iMAC. The speaker audio is very bass heavy. It sounds great for music but if you want to listen to a male speaking on YouTube its hard to understand. Apple Music comes with an equalizer but I believe its just for Apple Music. How do I decrease the bass on YouTube?

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I found an issue with using SpeakerAmp to control audio for individual applications. Per the SpeakerAmp web site you need to download and install a SpeakerAmp driver. This driver routes internal audio to the SpeakerAmp application. I found there is (in my opinion) an undesired side effect of installing the driver.

After installing the driver but not launching SpeakerAmp to control the audio I could select my sound output device via the sound drop down menu (next to date and time) and audio would play through whichever device I selected, so no problem right?...

Yep, no problem until I launched Audacity to edit some music tracks. With Audacity you can select any audio input / output device independent of what is selected in System Preferences > Sound Prefs. And that is where the problem lies. I could not select any input or output device in Audacity, the selections were blank.

So naturally I check the sound drop down menu, and I see output devices. Then I open System Prefs > Sound Prefs and the problem is revealed, there are no input or output devices listed. The root cause of the problem was the SpeakerAmp driver. After I uninstalled the driver and reboot all input / output devices were in the Sound Prefs again. Input / output selection in Audacity was working again.

Sorry for the long explanation, just being sure to explain what I found to help others before they jump (or may have already jumped) down that same rabbit hole.

To uninstall the SpeakerAmp driver navigate to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SpeakerAmpDrv.driver and delete the SpeakerAmpDrv.driver folder and reboot.

There are several 'Library' folders, the correct Library folder is on the root level of the system harddrive.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 6
+1 for eqmac:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back