2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #571 of 693
Really looking forward to this event & discovering the stuff on demo, missed the Bristol show. Great that Paul & Wendy are sponsoring this event; with HiFilounge & HiEnd headphones I am just absolutely amazed at the amount of class gear on demo & really nice, knowledgable, patient folk. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #572 of 693
Really looking forward to this event & discovering the stuff on demo, missed the Bristol show. Great that Paul & Wendy are sponsoring this event; with HiFilounge & HiEnd headphones I am just absolutely amazed at the amount of class gear on demo & really nice, knowledgable, patient folk. 

Agreed, best headphone demo facilities I've ever seen, and free coffee & biscuits too :)

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #573 of 693
Will there be a Denon D7200 this weekend? I had a brief listen in a noisy department store last weekend and was mighty impressed back then. Would have to have more head time to decide if it is time to move my TH-X00 on.

I will also be selling my spare STAX system this weekend if anyone is interested. (404Sig with leather pads + SRM300 JDM model modded to UK voltage)

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #574 of 693
Pre-meet party in your palatial room.
smily_headphones1.gif

Palatial room, Andy?....I wish lol!...the mean ol' things could at least have made it the Suite!! 
redface.gif
wink_face.gif
... nearly as mean as my "better"(?!) half's instruction - "no parties allowed"!!! 
frown.gif

But just as well I've got a room...after trying to find a more "portable" source to feed my system via coax, nothing provides quite the magic delivered by my Oppo BDP103...so that's coming along as well!  Which is no bad thing actually, because coincidentally with recent talk of CDs, I now find that direct from Oppo's CD transport is outperforming its media playback from copies to SD/USB memory!
And so this bodes well for you especially, @Turrican2, if you still want to give my setup a try...get dusting off those CDs, to be sure lol!
biggrin.gif

See you there!...CJ

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #575 of 693

I heard the Hugo 2 at Headroom show yesterday Andrew and can safely say you will be dumping your Hugo mrk1 quicker than you can say Chord Mojo! 

Was everything I think we all have envisaged in both sound and build/design  improvement in the 2nd incarnation of the Hugo.  To think there is also the bolt on Hugo poly to come at some stage with this for those who need it.  

Look forward to MK show next week...

Hi John, sounds promising. Wont be dumping Hugo1 though, it wont sound any different after hearing Hugo2! I would maybe leave it attached permanently to my Tag Hifi in place of the Rega DAC though if Hugo2 becomes a future purchase. Find Dave a tiny bit too soft sounding in brief listens, hoping Hugo2 goes the other way with the right filter. See you next Sunday, I'm out on the Saturday night near you, at Basildon Towngate Theatre for Counterfeit Quo!

I'm afraid to say Andrew it will sound different and you will want the Hugo2 sound in your Tag kit as well as your head-fi kit! Sorry to break it to you. 

No comment on Dave.  Hugo2 filter and XPHD button give interesting results.  Main thing is it sounded stella running flat without settings engaged.  

I'm in town centre also Saturday night fora birthday meal @ Spoons, first visit!  Might bump into you! 
Only way to really see Quo now unfortunately.  Enjoy and see you Sunday...

p.s. I literally just sold my Hugo on eBay!  forgot it was still on there, so may be Hugo-less at the meet! Looks like I will be getting a Hugo2 now! 
  Mark Dolbear has promised that something really exciting is coming our way at Milton Keynes on Sunday but he is remaining tight lipped about what that might be! I heard a Mr Speakers Electrostat with a KingSound Amp that blew me away yesterday

That Ether Electrostat with KS amp was sublime for sure and was like original Ether with butter spread on top and left to melt! 

Agreed, best headphone demo facilities I've ever seen, and free coffee & biscuits too :)

Will they be bringing the biscuits?, forget about the gear they are bringing.

Pre-meet party in your palatial room.
smily_headphones1.gif

But just as well I've got a room...after trying to find a more "portable" source to feed my system via coax, nothing provides quite the magic delivered by my Oppo BDP103...so that's coming along as well!  Which is no bad thing actually, because coincidentally with recent talk of CDs, I now find that direct from Oppo's CD transport is outperforming its media playback from copies to SD/USB memory!
And so this bodes well for you especially, @Turrican2, if you still want to give my setup a try...get dusting off those CDs, to be sure lol!
biggrin.gif

See you there!...CJ

I was thinking of bringing my Tag DVD32R top loader cd player again but don't think it got much interest last time at the Cambridge show, although I don't think many people knew what it was!

I used to have the Oppo 105 player with viewat time of it replacing my Tag spinner but alas it did not touch the Tag for cd playback. Have heard the new 4K machines have upped their cd playback so will be interesting to see what they are like soon...

Solid machines though and want to get an Oppo again now they do 4K bluray once decent OLED's get to sensible prices also and then bolt on a Innous Zen and will have quite a versatile power packed media centre for music and films.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #577 of 693

I used to lust after that Tag Mclaren gear big time. Lovely stuff!

I still have that DVD32R plus the 250W amps x 5 and the AV32RDP which still sound good but just waiting for them to breakdown now!

Plus I replaced the B&W centre with one of their Calliope centre speakers also.

Hate to think how much it will cost me to replace when they finally go if the only guy left to fix them now is not around.  

AndrewH13 has Tag gear also but he runs the rockin' PMC's last time I see him where I am running rockin' B&W's for exception of that Tag centre.  

Almost got a pair of F1 speakers at Christmas which turned out to be a scam which I thought it would be but went it to it with the old Paypal protection in place. So keep an eye out for a Russian person based in China if you ever see Tag gear that is too good to be true!

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #578 of 693
Whoah, "DVD32R plus the 250W amps x 5 and the AV32RDP" was my dream system. Well, that and a king's ransom worth of Meridian digital multi-channel stuff. Good job you ducked a bullet with that scammer, b'stards!

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #579 of 693
d.    
 I used to have the Oppo 105 player with viewat time of it replacing my Tag spinner but alas it did not touch the Tag for cd playback. Have heard the new 4K machines have upped their cd playback so will be interesting to see what they are like soon...

Solid machines though and want to get an Oppo again now they do 4K bluray once decent OLED's get to sensible prices also and then bolt on a Innous Zen and will have quite a versatile power packed media centre for music and films.  

Hmmm FF75...you may well have just caused my wallet to shed tears lol! 

If that Zen can indeed reproduce over coax to the same quality as directly from CD, then I could well be in the market for such an animal...if there's nothing similar for less, that is!!
wink_face.gif
. (Anywhere near the Tag, do you think?).

I too have been looking at the new 4K 105 to feed my Sammy curved 4K (couldn't wait for a 50 inch OLED that probably will never appear anyway!), but my 103 does such a good job of upscaling to 4K, the Zen could probably be just the ticket for my music collection...and probably be money better spent than on some Utopias, over my T1s lol!
eek.gif

ps. Were you using the 105's onboard DAC or a separate?...Cheers...

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #580 of 693
  Whoah, "DVD32R plus the 250W amps x 5 and the AV32RDP" was my dream system. Well, that and a king's ransom worth of Meridian digital multi-channel stuff. Good job you ducked a bullet with that scammer, b'stards!

Good thing is it can all be picked up quite cheap now second hand but it has gone quite last several months as I think everyone is hanging on to them now which has driven prices back up a bit as they hit rock bottom not so long ago as it was flooded with them at one stage. Obviously stuff like the 250 amps do not come up often so maintain a higher price although still a bargain compared to when new all those years ago and even by today's standards still are top amps.  

Meridian is yummy also, they done some stuff way before others done it.  

Yes, The Russians that are based in China also had a legit company with a website that sold learning tools for kids! Goes to show anyone is capable of it I suppose. Good job I'm not going China anytime soon!  

Just will have to buy a decent set of headphones instead this year to get over it!  

d.    

Hmmm FF75...you may well have just caused my wallet to shed tears lol! 

If that Zen can indeed reproduce over coax to the same quality as directly from CD, then I could well be in the market for such an animal...if there's nothing similar for less, that is!!
wink_face.gif
. (Anywhere near the Tag, do you think?).

I too have been looking at the new 4K 105 to feed my Sammy curved 4K (couldn't wait for a 50 inch OLED that probably will never appear anyway!), but my 103 does such a good job of upscaling to 4K, the Zen could probably be just the ticket for my music collection...and probably be money better spent than on some Utopias, over my T1s lol!
eek.gif

ps. Were you using the 105's onboard DAC or a separate?...Cheers...

Never heard or seen the Innous gear work in the flesh so do not know for sure on performance ratio but when time came again where I had an Oppo I would just take the plunge and find out and if was not up to scratch would just move on quickly.

Saying that it does look quality gear and prices have gone up a bit on them since I first looked at them a couple of years ago so like to think they have qaulity components running throughout. 

Think this year will be another stage of OLED breaking through finally with all the other company's finally giving in and producing them so prices should change a lot next year or so as it will start to kill of LED at long last. Will be a gradual phasing process though taking a few years like Plasma fighting LCD off!  

Heard the Utopias properly at weekend and better than I thought and paired really well with Hugo 2 but still don't see them as a 3K can.  Will make a good 2nd hand buy for sure.  

I used seperate dac for 2 channel music when using the 105 but just let the Oppo do the job when it was 5.1 stuff.  

Can't wait to get my head turned again by all the stuff coming up this weekend!  

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #581 of 693
Is any body taking gear to sell at the show like at Cambridge show?
Just wandering if there was a list at all if so drawn up of what people are taking to sell on the day if so?....

As I may have an item or two I might decide to let go of which I could bring on the day.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #583 of 693
Just wandering if there was a list at all if so drawn up of what people are taking to sell on the day if so?....

As I may have an item or two I might decide to let go of which I could bring on the day.

I'm happy to add a list to the front page if people want to let me know the wares they'll be pedaling.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #584 of 693

I'm happy to add a list to the front page if people want to let me know the wares they'll be pedaling.

Would be great. I will be bringing my second STAX system to sell, SR404Sig with leather pads + SRM300 JDM model modded to UK voltage.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #585 of 693

I used to lust after that Tag Mclaren gear big time. Lovely stuff!

I still have that DVD32R plus the 250W amps x 5 and the AV32RDP which still sound good but just waiting for them to breakdown now!

AndrewH13 has Tag gear also but he runs the rockin' PMC's last time I see him where I am running rockin' B&W's for exception of that Tag centre.  

John, now I've converted all my CDs, I've decided to let the Tag McClaren DVD32 go and already disconnected it. Sad day, the most luxurious and expensive item, excepting a house and car I've ever bought! But nearly all my music listening is now through DAP/ HUGO/ phones or iems and CDs packed away. The Tag AV32 Processor, and 5x100 is still going well for movies and TV as i had a full service two years ago. Have looked at Anthem replacement to finally make dreaded switch to hdmi!

If you hear anyone after a DVD32, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back