2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #346 of 693
Second entry:

Artist: Foy Vance
Album: The Wild Swan
Sample tracks:

Burden - https://youtu.be/U9OYW4JBWXI

Coco - https://youtu.be/Il1CIIdtOAE

He has been around for years, but is a very unprolific artist. This album is hands down my most played of 2016, with a fantastic minimalist recording that captures a lot of the smaller room sounds and just focuses on the acoustic/funk/county rhythms and his amazing voice. Seem this guy live a few times and every time has been different. This guy should be huge (please ignore the hipster moustache).

Saw Foy Vance twice last year - in Lincoln Showground and at Exeter Westpoint . Both times Foy was supporting Elton John. I thought he was great. I can't get into The Wild Swan , I think it's because it's not how I remember his minimalism at the shows. But I will let it grow on me, I've clearly not given it enough time. If you get a chance to see him , he is wonderful live

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #347 of 693
Saw Foy Vance twice last year - in Lincoln Showground and at Exeter Westpoint . Both times Foy was supporting Elton John. I thought he was great. I can't get into The Wild Swan , I think it's because it's not how I remember his minimalism at the shows. But I will let it grow on me, I've clearly not given it enough time. If you get a chance to see him , he is wonderful live

Seen him a few times myself. If you prefer the minimalist stuff he does on his solo shows, you should track down the Melrose or Life Of The Toilet Tour EPs if you haven't already heard them?

Wasn't initially convinced by The Wild Swan, but life all true favourites, it's fair to say it's grown on me just a little since that first spin!

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #348 of 693
Some excellent competition entries chaps so well done and keep them coming! :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #349 of 693
Got any recommendations of your own for us, Andy? 
regular_smile .gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #352 of 693
Hi Everyone,

Getting all the gear ready and just got more product to play with, i am now bringing the following:

Lots of Schiit, yes lots Jotunheim, Fulla2, Yggy, Rag etc etc what fits in the car
Mr Speaker we have both Ether Flow version (open/closed) also Aeon and Ether E (prototype) with King Sound M20 Amplifier.
A few King Sound Headphones and the portable amplifier.

If you want to see a certain product let me know and I will see what I can do, hope to see you all soon.

Mark

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #353 of 693
  Hi Everyone,

Getting all the gear ready and just got more product to play with, i am now bringing the following:

Lots of Schiit, yes lots Jotunheim, Fulla2, Yggy, Rag etc etc what fits in the car
Mr Speaker we have both Ether Flow version (open/closed) also Aeon and Ether E (prototype) with King Sound M20 Amplifier.
A few King Sound Headphones and the portable amplifier.

If you want to see a certain product let me know and I will see what I can do, hope to see you all soon.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Aeon and the Ether Electrostatic prototype. Superb!

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #355 of 693
Hi all.

For anyone who is staying at the hotel on Saturday night and would like to group up for dinner (and join in our inevitable pre-event mini-meet), please send me a PM as soon as possible so I can give the hotel restaurant the expected numbers. 

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #356 of 693
There'll be quaffing and scoffing and headphones a doffing!

Hi all.

For anyone who is staying at the hotel on Saturday night and would like to group up for dinner (and join in our inevitable pre-event mini-meet), please send me a PM as soon as possible so I can give the hotel restaurant the expected numbers. 

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #358 of 693
Album: Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
Available from Nonesuch Records: http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/50-song-memoir, still waiting on UK stock

They says it better than me:
The Magnetic Fields' 50 Song Memoir chronicles the 50 years of songwriter Stephin Merritt's life with one song per year [in witty autobiography or documentary]. He plays more than 100 instruments, from ukulele to piano to drum machine to abacus. 

This is 5 discs of music. Helluva way to celebrate 50 years on the planet. The whole album isn't available on Tidal, but I've heard about 10 tracks so far. Lots of funny and interesting stuff.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #359 of 693
Hello all! I am a new Head Fi member, this is my first post!

I'm a total convert to audiophile quality sound, at Christmas I went from listening to music occasionally on some 10 year old cheap Sennheisers to a pair of Audeze LCD-3 (2016 Fazor) phones paired with an RME ADI-2 Pro. It has been a real life changing experience for me.

I am really looking forward to coming to the Milton Keynes meet up as I live nearby (Cambridge), and would also like to meet the High End Headphones people (I've been wanting to go visit them, but have been a bit afraid that I might come away with a much lighter wallet!).

I see that people are going to be demoing their gear out for other Head-Fi-ers to try. I thought it might be interesting for others to try out the RME ADI-2 Pro[1], a professional quality AD/DA converter / USB DAC -- given that RME have a good reputation in the professional audio world, but this is their first product targeting the pro-sumer (I have been told that the head engineer Matthias Carstens designed it because he personally wanted to produce a 'best possible' headphone amp).

Would that be of interest to other people? Do I need to reserve a table or something in advance?

My best friend (who is also a microchip engineer) is very involved in creating music and is a big fan of RME and their engineering excellence, so he persuaded me to go the RME/professional audio route rather than the route of companies that primarily target the consumer market. I'm really interested to get a feel of the difference on that side of the audio world too.

I was thinking I'd bring my Macbook Pro, the ADI-2 Pro, Audeze LCD-3s, and headphone stand, then run Spotify (I have Premium, so use High Quality mode) with a load of tracks saved locally (in case there is no WiFi). Does that sound adequate? Any suggestions of how I could be more helpful?

Really excited about trying out some other high end headphones, particularly the LCD-4s.

[1] https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-pro.php

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #360 of 693
My newly discovered favourite artist must be Thomas Zwijsen (website https://www.thomaszwijsen.com/index.html). He is a dutch nylon-strung guitarist, playing solo covers of rock & metal artists in a beautifully melodic and relaxing Brazilian jazz style. He has several CDs devoted to Iron Maiden covers, and the way he has arranged some of the harmonies is truly wonderful. He is my favourite newly discovered artist because it's introduced me to a completely new genre of music just by building on what I already know and love.

His latest album is called Nylon Maiden: Preserved in Time. It can be purchased as a physical CD from his website, or a CD quality download (flac and mp3 320) is available from https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/ThomasZwijsen.

If you've ever been an Iron Maiden fan, you seriously need to try him out as an artist.

EDIT: You can hear most of his stuff on Youtube if you want to check him out without requiring a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back