2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jul 10, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,411 of 1,496
Thanks I will get in touch with them.

In regards to the headband, it doesn't look like the headband fabric is removable/replaceable at all?
I would just contact Audio-technika directly with the photo of it, maybe they can give you advice.

If they can't, then I would just cover it up with some sleeve, maybe it will become even more comfortable.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,412 of 1,496
I would just contact Audio-technika directly with the photo of it, maybe they can give you advice.

If they can't, then I would just cover it up with some sleeve, maybe it will become even more comfortable.
Good idea. I must admit I've always assumed I would simply replace the whole band if the covering ever became a real issue. Bruc3, is yours very tatty?

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,413 of 1,496
Good idea. I must admit I've always assumed I would simply replace the whole band if the covering ever became a real issue. Bruc3, is yours very tatty?
Actually I am looking to buy a used pair of ADX5000 for a pretty good price, and just wanted to know if its an option since I am a little bit iffy about fabric parts on headphones that have been used extensively by others. Its just one of my pet peeves. Since it doesn't look like it can be removed easily, so would even be difficult to clean/wash it.

I recently sold my HD800S and always wanted to replace it with the ADX5000 since I compared it 2 Years ago.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,414 of 1,496
Actually I am looking to buy a used pair of ADX5000 for a pretty good price, and just wanted to know if its an option since I am a little bit iffy about fabric parts on headphones that have been used extensively by others. Its just one of my pet peeves. Since it doesn't look like it can be removed easily, so would even be difficult to clean/wash it.

I recently sold my HD800S and always wanted to replace it with the ADX5000 since I compared it 2 Years ago.
It looks like there are screws on the inside of the headband, I assume if you unscrew those, you can take it apart, so you can wash it seperately. I did not find replacement parts though.

In worst case you can buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/Headband-Compatible-MDR-1RNCMK2-Protector-Installation/dp/B07PK251YP

"I recently sold my HD800S and always wanted to replace it with the ADX5000 since I compared it 2 Years ago."

I came to the same conclusion, the ADX5000 is a better headphone.

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,415 of 1,496

I see. I think you're treading a fairly well-beaten path these days in moving from the HD800S to the ADX. I'm a daily user of my phones and haven't noticed any wear yet - so I'm inclined to think the relevant parts are quite robust. But I would be interested to know what Minidisc says about replacement parts.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #1,416 of 1,496
But I would be interested to know what Minidisc says about replacement parts.
Ok so have got a confirmation back from Minidisc and AT about replacement parts.

- Headband part is $179 + $16.50 shipping from AT supplier, but will be 3 Month wait due to not currently having it in stock.

- OEM earpads is $270 a pair

Pretty pricey, but guess its to be expected for a $2k+ headphone

So I guess it means atleast the headband can be replaced if we ever need to.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,417 of 1,496
Ok so have got a confirmation back from Minidisc and AT about replacement parts.

- Headband part is $179 + $16.50 shipping from AT supplier, but will be 3 Month wait due to not currently having it in stock.

Many thanks! That's good to know - I like these phones, so can envisage hanging on to them for quite a while. The headband is less than I might have expected (assuming the worst); and the pads more. It's impossible to predict these things I find.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,418 of 1,496

It's suspicious that they said, you have to wait 3 months for it. Take it with a grain of salt that you can ever have replacement. I never heard\saw\read that there is a replacement. Nowhere on the internet you can find that. Maybe if you send the headphone back to the factory, the factory will replace it for you for good money.

For the earpads, I think just check out the Dekoni pads, I have this and it even performs better , my factory pads are resting for now.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-velour-ear-pads-for-fostex-th900-headphones/

Or just buy a new ADX5000, if you don't like used, worn out headbands and earpads.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,419 of 1,496
It's suspicious that they said, you have to wait 3 months for it. Take it with a grain of salt that you can ever have replacement. I never heard\saw\read that there is a replacement. Nowhere on the internet you can find that. Maybe if you send the headphone back to the factory, the factory will replace it for you for good money.

For the earpads, I think just check out the Dekoni pads, I have this and it even performs better , my factory pads are resting for now.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-velour-ear-pads-for-fostex-th900-headphones/

Or just buy a new ADX5000, if you don't like used, worn out headbands and earpads.
Can you say why you prefer the Dekoni pads?

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #1,420 of 1,496
Thanks, I am now considering either those Dekoni pads you mentioned and living with headband as is.

Or I may very well just buy the headphone new, since I intend for these to be my forever.

Either way, lets hope I can officially own one soon.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #1,421 of 1,496
Can you say why you prefer the Dekoni pads?
My ears can fit inside it, so first of all more comfort, second thing is I think it improves the soundstage a tiny bit because it gives the drivers an angle and slightly more distance from your ears, also takes away from the highs and adds to the bass in my opinion.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,423 of 1,496
Thanks, I am now considering either those Dekoni pads you mentioned and living with headband as is.

Or I may very well just buy the headphone new, since I intend for these to be my forever.

Either way, lets hope I can officially own one soon.
It all depends on your wallet.

I personally bought a used one in good condition for 1180 euros. The new one was almost twice the price.

Never say this will be your forever headphone BTW, you never know. You might find a good planar or electrostat in the future.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #1,424 of 1,496

I personally bought a used one in good condition for 1180 euros. The new one was almost twice the price.

Never say this will be your forever headphone BTW, you never know. You might find a good planar or electrostat in the future.
... and then again you might not ... But I agree it's impossible to know in advance which phones will be keepers. For what it's worth, I think of both the HD800S and the ADX as keepers. They're quite different, I think. The ADX seems more a development of the early HD800 - a better version. Whereas, with the HD800S, Sennheiser seems to have taken a slightly different path - less brilliant, more damped - and maybe more natural sounding. I wouldn't like to be without either. Happily, neither commands the astronomical prices of many stats, planars and dynamics such as the Utopia.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,425 of 1,496

Wow, so in Europe a new ADX5000 costs over 2000 euros?

I thought it was expensive here in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back