2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #1,368 of 1,496
My aliexpress silver cable has just arrived. Pictures

I think there is a subtle improvement, a bit more clarity perhaps, a tiny bit better bass, maybe a bit more airy.

Very satisfying, even magical how it sounds now, I can call now the owner of the Susvara owner for a revisit. :)
I had a similar cable from Aliexpress, and while I think my impressions were placebo, your notes seem to match my:
My silver cable sounded brighter and slightly airier than my current copper cable from Forza audio, however I like the copper as it appears to reduce brightness and improves bass. Comfort is top notch on both cables.

Balanced vs SE on my V222: I can't tell a difference between these inputs, but not saying there is none, as volume matching between those is not possible with my gear.
I prefer balanced tough, for mental reasons.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,369 of 1,496
I had a similar cable from Aliexpress, and while I think my impressions were placebo, your notes seem to match my:
My silver cable sounded brighter and slightly airier than my current copper cable from Forza audio, however I like the copper as it appears to reduce brightness and improves bass. Comfort is top notch on both cables.

Balanced vs SE on my V222: I can't tell a difference between these inputs, but not saying there is none, as volume matching between those is not possible with my gear.
I prefer balanced tough, for mental reasons.
For what it's worth, I would agree that 'balanced' headphone cables often make no difference. I accept that the real point of 4-pin XLR terminations with headphone cables is simply to allow some amps to work differently - and this will only be the case if the amp in question is differential or dual mono configuration, and the headphone jack is wired appropriately. Generally, in these cases, the 'balanced' output will produce more power at least (and may also confer some benefits in terms of lower distortion). But source impedance and damping can also be affected, so there may be swings and roundabouts. I find it's always a case-by-case proposition. The headphone cable, of course, isn't in any case balanced in the sense that differential circuits and 3-pin interconnects are balanced. The circuit involves a differential output from separate amplifiers, whereas the headphone cable is simply providing separate paths for the negative side of each channel.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,371 of 1,496
Yes... I had it on my ADX5K.. I think it is normal. Mine was oxidated 1 yr after purchase from Treoo Singapore. You can change it easily tho.
It also happens with the Wing system audiophile audio technicas.
That's why I have them in a cooler( without ice) with a thing that absorbs moisture.
Audio technica products really su ck at being resistant to humidity /moisture.
I live 1km from the beach so that's other thing to consider.
One of my 2000x got chips in the paint due to moisture, and the screws look similar to your ones of adx5000

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,372 of 1,496
I just joined the ADX5k crew and having a blast with them thus far... I have a bunch of different HPs but these are special for certain genres and def will be keepers and in my regular rotation for listening. They can be a touch spicy on the treble for certain rock and horns forward latin music. They are a bit light on bass impact for those genres where that is prevalent. For most of my listening catalog this lines up quite well for my tastes/preferences. It's a complement to HD800s and OG clears.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,373 of 1,496
@mayurs
how much of a step up would you say is the Euphoria compared to the TA-26 with the ADX-5000 or in general? obviously tube choice matters
Sorry I did not see this earlier to respond earlier but here goes. The Euforia is a much better no doubt about it, but the little TA-26 surprised me so much that I would have been perfectly happy with it driving my ADX5000 with no problems whatsoever if I had not owned the Euforia.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,374 of 1,496
IMO the best budget amp for the ADX5000 is the little TA-26. Takes the edge of the ADX5000 as most good OTLs do and makes it sound beautifully effortless and clean.

Attachments

• 20230408_130424.jpg
    20230408_130424.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #1,376 of 1,496

After one month of using the silver cable, I switched back to the factory cable, which is copper I believe.

I agree, the copper cable is more pleasant and balanced in my setup, the silver cable was a bit harsh and not that balanced.

So I think I will go back to the factory cable, it's just more pleasant for me. But I don't regret buying the Aliexpress cable, at least I gained experience, maybe I can sell it later, if my conclusions will remain.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #1,377 of 1,496
After one month of using the silver cable, I switched back to the factory cable, which is copper I believe.

I agree, the copper cable is more pleasant and balanced in my setup, the silver cable was a bit harsh and not that balanced.

So I think I will go back to the factory cable, it's just more pleasant for me. But I don't regret buying the Aliexpress cable, at least I gained experience, maybe I can sell it later, if my conclusions will remain.
I'm using a hybrid cable with my set. When I first got my ADX5000's, my impressions were they could benefit from a silver cable to tighten up the sound. At the same time, I didn't want to lose any of the body or fullness to the sound that the copper was bringing to the table. So I settled on a hybrid to give me the best of both.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #1,378 of 1,496
I make my own cables from two cable makers. Done lots of testing.
Cables I make for my own use, $50 - $70 at best are as good as any mega-buck cable...
No real discernable difference. Mostly placebo...

Just my experience being brutally honest.
This doesnt take away at many higher cost cables that use great materials that just cost tons more.
Sonically its a wash to me..

Spend you money wisley!!

:>)

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #1,379 of 1,496
I make my own cables from two cable makers. Done lots of testing.
Cables I make for my own use, $50 - $70 at best are as good as any mega-buck cable...
No real discernable difference. Mostly placebo...

Just my experience being brutally honest.
This doesnt take away at many higher cost cables that use great materials that just cost tons more.
Sonically its a wash to me..

Spend you money wisley!!

:>)
I agree and it's why cables are the last thing I usually change out because they have the smallest sonic influence on the overall sound of headphones. I consider cables more of a tweak than a need to have. The right cable can help you fine tune your headphones sound I'm finding.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #1,380 of 1,496
I agree and it's why cables are the last thing I usually change out because they have the smallest sonic influence on the overall sound of headphones. I consider cables more of a tweak than a need to have. The right cable can help you fine tune your headphones sound I'm finding.
IMO I like cables that are well built to take the wear and tear of daily use.
Soldering connections are critical to me.
Some folks never see the solder quality.
People can strip a wire, cut several of the strands or a cold solder joint...
This is why I make my own.
There are a few low cost good quality of build folks out there that make a well build cable as well.
Many folks dont know how to solder, cut a wire or install a connector, read a wiring diagram etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back