2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,351 of 1,496
I agree. The ADX5000 is as good as it gets for classical music - and I say this as someone who used the HD800/S for many years and never expected to move on! Like the HD800/S, they shine with the right amp. I found the SPL Phonitor xe works a treat.
I find they work well with any genre. I add some bass via EQ and I'm amazed at how well they handle it.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,353 of 1,496
Can you post your bass eq setting for the adx5000? Also how would you compare to the diana tc? Interested in these 2 to complement my hd800s
Sure I’ll put it up when I get off work later today

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #1,354 of 1,496
I think besides Classical they do wonderfully well with jazz and female vocals. Norah Jones sounds best out of the ADX5000 vs any other high end HP I have tried including the Susvara. However am not really a fan of it for Rock and Blues Rock.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,355 of 1,496
sheesh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310-150112_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310-150112_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,357 of 1,496
I find they work well with any genre. I add some bass via EQ and I'm amazed at how well they handle it.
That's interesting. I should have said above that, while I've recently being trying the Phonitor (and it's excellent), my best results have actually been with the Moon 430HA. In both cases I use crossfeed. While I now find crossfeed essential for all listening with all phones, some phones seem to respond better than others (although all are improved I think). The HD800 and the Audio Technica seem to respond particularly well. While planars don't appeal to me (electrostatic or magnetic), I find they're also much improved with crossfeed.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,358 of 1,496
I think besides Classical they do wonderfully well with jazz and female vocals. Norah Jones sounds best out of the ADX5000 vs any other high end HP I have tried including the Susvara. However am not really a fan of it for Rock and Blues Rock.
I agree, the ADX5000 has an enjoyable, beautiful sound. I am a delighted owner.

I have also tried the Susvaras, a bit technically better maybe, but not by much.

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,359 of 1,496
I agree, the ADX5000 has an enjoyable, beautiful sound. I am a delighted owner.

I have also tried the Susvaras, a bit technically better maybe, but not by much.
I think this also interesting - the reaction to the Susvara I mean. I've never been persuaded the planars I've used (Susvara, SR-009S, HE-1000se, Mezes - I've owned most) are technical improvements on good dynamics. In particular, I believe high levels of resonance are always an audible issue - but particularly in the Susvara (the HE-1000 seems a bit better, as are some of the damped planars). I think good dynamics actually outperform planars on detail and transient response. Quite what this means in terms of personal preference is another matter - listeners might not like the result - I'm not suggesting it's not legitimate to prefer the planar sound. But my guess is that resonance issues lend planars the 'synthetic', slightly homogenized quality that always strikes me. Equally, I suspect that lower resonance can contribute to the more 'organic' quality that many (including me) associate with dynamics.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,360 of 1,496
I think this also interesting - the reaction to the Susvara I mean. I've never been persuaded the planars I've used (Susvara, SR-009S, HE-1000se, Mezes - I've owned most) are technical improvements on good dynamics. In particular, I believe high levels of resonance are always an audible issue - but particularly in the Susvara (the HE-1000 seems a bit better, as are some of the damped planars). I think good dynamics actually outperform planars on detail and transient response. Quite what this means in terms of personal preference is another matter - listeners might not like the result - I'm not suggesting it's not legitimate to prefer the planar sound. But my guess is that resonance issues lend planars the 'synthetic', slightly homogenized quality that always strikes me. Equally, I suspect that lower resonance can contribute to the more 'organic' quality that many (including me) associate with dynamics.
Well, I did not listen to to Susvara that much to reach any deep conclusions, I tried it in a calm environment next to the ADX5000.
Total listening time of Susvara in my case was maybe 15 minutes, but I did try it. Here are the Pictures.

Anyway, I could say the Susvaras had better sub bass extension, so the lowest notes were more present. That's what I meant being technically better.
What I think, having a slightly superior bass may not be good, because it may take away your attention from the vocals or highs. I don't know.
Other than that, it did not amaze me, it was not much better than the ADX5000, if it was better at all.
In fact, I would say the ADX5000 had a more natural, beautiful sound, maybe what you are saying in other words:
I suspect that lower resonance can contribute to the more 'organic' quality that many (including me) associate with dynamics.

Present was also my Sennheiser HD800S which sounded somewhat flat and dull next to the above mentioned. So I sold it, do not like it anymore. :)

Previously I have also tried the HE1000SE, which is my candidate for an upgrade, but I will have to try it again. Pictures
I think the HE1000SE may be a tiny bit technically better, but maybe less enjoyable, but I have to try it again to convince me. Maybe less natural sound, I don't know.
Also it is almost twice the price, and less comfortable (I mean much heavier for example), so won't beat the ADX5000 neccessarily in my testing.

Maybe the ADX5000 is my final headphone. I thought the HD800S will be that, but people who sold me the ADX5000 convinced me, and my ears convinced me, that the ADX5000 is a superior sounding headphone to the HD800S. It has a more clear, very natural, more vivid and airy sound. Also very versatile, very good for most, if not all genres. With the Dekoni pads, very comfortable and light. The design, materials and build quality is also something to like, not like a plastic toy like the Sennheiser, with the paint chipping off. The HD800S was not bad, I did enjoy it a lot, but the ADX5000 is better. If you try the ADX5000, you probably want to sell your HD800S and upgrade.

Maybe I will revisit the HE1000SE, but I'm not sure if I will change to that. The Susvaras for me are too expensive. Also I have plans to try the Stax SR-007, maybe those.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #1,361 of 1,496
Well, I did not listen to to Susvara that much to reach any deep conclusions, I tried it in a calm environment next to the ADX5000.
Total listening time of Susvara in my case was maybe 15 minutes, but I did try it. Here are the Pictures.

Anyway, I could say the Susvaras had better sub bass extension, so the lowest notes were more present. That's what I meant being technically better.
What I think, having a slightly superior bass may not be good, because it may take away your attention from the vocals or highs. I don't know.
Other than that, it did not amaze me, it was not much better than the ADX5000, if it was better at all.
In fact, I would say the ADX5000 had a more natural, beautiful sound, maybe what you are saying in other words:

Present was also my Sennheiser HD800S which sounded somewhat flat and dull next to the above mentioned. So I sold it, do not like it anymore. :)

Previously I have also tried the HE1000SE, which is my candidate for an upgrade, but I will have to try it again. Pictures
I think the HE1000SE may be a tiny bit technically better, but maybe less enjoyable, but I have to try it again to convince me. Maybe less natural sound, I don't know.
Also it is almost twice the price, and less comfortable (I mean much heavier for example), so won't beat the ADX5000 neccessarily in my testing.

Maybe the ADX5000 is my final headphone. I thought the HD800S will be that, but people who sold me the ADX5000 convinced me, and my ears convinced me, that the ADX5000 is a superior sounding headphone to the HD800S. It has a more clear, very natural, more vivid and airy sound. Also very versatile, very good for most, if not all genres. With the Dekoni pads, very comfortable and light. The design, materials and build quality is also something to like, not like a plastic toy like the Sennheiser, with the paint chipping off. The HD800S was not bad, I did enjoy it a lot, but the ADX5000 is better. If you try the ADX5000, you probably want to sell your HD800S and upgrade.

Maybe I will revisit the HE1000SE, but I'm not sure if I will change to that. The Susvaras for me are too expensive. Also I have plans to try the Stax SR-007, maybe those.
I've owned the HE1000SE and, for what it's worth, it's the most appealing planar I've heard. I certainly prefer it to the SR-009S, which I've also owned. To some extent, I think magnetic planars benefit from the very wide range of good amps available - whereas electrostatic drivers are limited in range, many being rather 'boutique' and expensive (and not particularly convincing I think). I think the HE1000SE is brilliant, and I could happily live with it - I would choose it over many dynamic phones. And for those who don't share my general concerns about planars, I could well imagine it being the last stop. But, much as I admire it, I find it has a typical planar softness that removes the last smidgeon of detail - that very slight 'edge' that the best dynamics seem able to deliver (violins and pianos in particular seem to benefit). To my mind, this natural edge is at least as important as frequency extension - which is almost always adequate for the music I listen to. So, I prefer the ADX5000 - by a whisker. But I understand why many will disagree. I do believe, at this level, personal taste becomes the issue.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,362 of 1,496
I've owned the HE1000SE and, for what it's worth, it's the most appealing planar I've heard. I certainly prefer it to the SR-009S, which I've also owned. To some extent, I think magnetic planars benefit from the very wide range of good amps available - whereas electrostatic drivers are limited in range, many being rather 'boutique' and expensive (and not particularly convincing I think). I think the HE1000SE is brilliant, and I could happily live with it - I would choose it over many dynamic phones. And for those who don't share my general concerns about planars, I could well imagine it being the last stop. But, much as I admire it, I find it has a typical planar softness that removes the last smidgeon of detail - that very slight 'edge' that the best dynamics seem able to deliver (violins and pianos in particular seem to benefit). To my mind, this natural edge is at least as important as frequency extension - which is almost always adequate for the music I listen to. So, I prefer the ADX5000 - by a whisker. But I understand why many will disagree. I do believe, at this level, personal taste becomes the issue.
I know a guy in my country who has the Susvara and an other who has the HE1000SE. I think if I called them, I could revisit both. I bought from the Susvara owner the ADX5000. He said, he would be happy to see his ADX5000 again.

The Susvara is out of the question, just too expensive. The Stax also, just too expensive with the Stax amp.

But the HE1000SE... If I tested with the ADX5000 again, I think I would say, they are very close, and only very small advantages and disadvantages.
Probably it comes down to personal taste which one you prefer slightly more. Even if I preferred the HE1000SE slightly more (could happen, I may prefer the ADX5000 more), then comes the money part.
Is this miniscule improvement worth it for me? And the comfort part, the ADX5000 is 270 grams, the HE1000SE is 440 grams. In design, the ADX5000 I think looks better.

I think, the HE1000SE has the better bass, so it might be better for rock or metal. On the other hand, the ADX5000's more natural timbre may be slightly better for (as you said), violins, pianos, female vocals. So one hand gives, the other hand takes away. Since I listen to all genres about equally, it would not be an improvement overall.

Best would be to have both, but again, I don't want that. I have around already 1700-1800 euros put into this, the headphones were 1180 euros used. And I sold all my old gear.

So maybe, the ADX5000 is my final headphone. But you never know. :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,363 of 1,496
My aliexpress silver cable has just arrived. Pictures

I think there is a subtle improvement, a bit more clarity perhaps, a tiny bit better bass, maybe a bit more airy.

Very satisfying, even magical how it sounds now, I can call now the owner of the Susvara owner for a revisit. :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,364 of 1,496
My aliexpress silver cable has just arrived. Pictures

I think there is a subtle improvement, a bit more clarity perhaps, a tiny bit better bass, maybe a bit more airy.

Very satisfying, even magical how it sounds now, I can call now the owner of the Susvara owner for a revisit. :)
I'll be interested to know how you feel about it after some time with it. These days I generally use 'balanced' cables because I think the amps I have perform better through the balanced output. I have the Audio Technica balanced cable for the ADX5000 - which is the biggest headphone cable I've ever owned! But it is a lovely piece of work, and does allow the system to work at its best I think. I find with the kinds of the phones we're talking about that amps and sources make real differences, and using balanced connections (for example, when amps use differential circuits - or even full dual mono) is a worthwhile investment.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #1,365 of 1,496
I'll be interested to know how you feel about it after some time with it. These days I generally use 'balanced' cables because I think the amps I have perform better through the balanced output. I have the Audio Technica balanced cable for the ADX5000 - which is the biggest headphone cable I've ever owned! But it is a lovely piece of work, and does allow the system to work at its best I think. I find with the kinds of the phones we're talking about that amps and sources make real differences, and using balanced connections (for example, when amps use differential circuits - or even full dual mono) is a worthwhile investment.
I have read about balanced Link
If I went balanced, I would need to change everything except the headphones. Who knows, if I choose some wrong amp or dac, it could be worse.
With my current gear, there is no noise, it's clear and loud enough if I want.

So it will stay like this, for now. Maybe if I'm bored I will upgrade.

I think it is like the cables, some ppl say there is no difference, some say there is a difference. With high end headphones, which are more sensitive, probably it is more audible.

I feel good about the new cables, I feel there is a slight improvement, but I will have to switch back to the factory cable to confirm.
The microphonic effect is gone, which the factory cable had, when I moved a bit, I could hear it in the headphone. This one does not have that.
I also like the looks of the new cable, and it is shorter (1.25m)

The theory is, silver is the best electric conductor metal (even better than gold), and it is shorter than the factory cable, so the electronic signals have less resistance.
Also braided, the theory behind it: Link

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back