2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #1,336 of 1,496
I think the synergy between ADX5000 with my HA-300B totally make the differences here. Utopia does not depend on Amp much like ADX5000.

For the sound when connecting to HA-300B, ADX5000 wins on vocal music, acoustics, jazz, and some instrumental music. Holographic tube sounds comes out from ADX5000 more than Utopia. Of course, its bass impact is less than Utopia. However, it's there with amount depending on each personal taste.

When I tried ADX5000 for the first time via Mytek Manhantan II, I also tried Focal Clear via Naim DAC v-1 in difference stores on the same day. Focal Clear wins, but I did not buy it because the its weight too heavy for me at that time. I just want to buy a light and comfort flagship headphones due to my bad experience with AD2000 headband clamp force ( old Audio technica fans knows well about this ) .

Eventually, I demoed DCA Ether 1 ( Red ) via Meridian Explorer 2 due to clearance sale. At that time Ether 2 release was also announced. I totally love Ether Red sound. I'm still sorry I did not buy it on that, but made a leap of faith on Ether 2. It is quite a mistake. With its 32 ohms impedance, I have to turn the volumn knop up to 12 AM. to get the decent listenable volumn, which is weird. My other headphones does not have this problem. By the way, Dan provided me with good memorable services when I asked him anything about Ether2. He answered abruptly. I think Ether 2 does not have good synergy with my Amp.

Sorry for not-related long story.

In summary, it's up to your music taste and your Amp synergy with the headphones. If possible, take your Amp to the store and try both headphones. In my case, I bought it without demo with my amp because I'm Audio-Technica fan, 20% discount, and my research via forums that ADX5000 has good synergy with tube amps. I could not take my amp to the shop anyway because its weight is 30 kg.
Good contrasting story between the ADX5000's and Ether 2's. I own both and I can attest that the Ether 2's are harder to drive than the ADX5000's on the same system. They also couldn't be more different sounding. I enjoy the ADX5000's light, airy, neutral and balanced tuning. At the same time, I enjoy the Ether 2's for their full-bodied, textured, and lush sound. The Ether 2's have a much beefier bass response, but the ADX5000's is more detailed in the bass. Both are great sounding to my ears in my system.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,337 of 1,496
Good contrasting story between the ADX5000's and Ether 2's. I own both and I can attest that the Ether 2's are harder to drive than the ADX5000's on the same system. They also couldn't be more different sounding. I enjoy the ADX5000's light, airy, neutral and balanced tuning. At the same time, I enjoy the Ether 2's for their full-bodied, textured, and lush sound. The Ether 2's have a much beefier bass response, but the ADX5000's is more detailed in the bass. Both are great sounding to my ears in my system.

Thank you for sharing. I'm totally glad that I'm not alone on the volumn. FinHifi also sent me a message explaining me that it's the sensitivity that's related to the volumn ( not impedance I need to learn more ) . I will compare them again. My Ether 2 is currently applied with perforated ear pads, but it's kind of suede now due to losing its synthetic leather from long use and ethyl alcohol. I brought it out to demo DAC at different distributors during COVID several times. After coming back home, I wiped it with alcohol, which made it peeling off.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,338 of 1,496
Thank you for sharing. I'm totally glad that I'm not alone on the volumn. FinHifi also sent me a message explaining me that it's the sensitivity that's related to the volumn ( not impedance I need to learn more ) . I will compare them again. My Ether 2 is currently applied with perforated ear pads, but it's kind of suede now due to losing its synthetic leather from long use and ethyl alcohol. I brought it out to demo DAC at different distributors during COVID several times. After coming back home, I wiped it with alcohol, which made it peeling off.
Oh boy, alcohol is a no go for cleaning ear pads. It dries them up. Just use a wet towel and wipe them down on occasion to prolong the life of the ear pads.

Audio Technica was smart to use suede ear pads for the ADX5000’s. DCA makes a suede ear pad for the Ether 2’s that closely resembles the sonic character of perforated ear pads. Maybe you should check them out.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #1,339 of 1,496
Oh boy, alcohol is a no go for cleaning ear pads. It dries them up. Just use a wet towel and wipe them down on occasion to prolong the life of the ear pads.

Audio Technica was smart to use suede ear pads for the ADX5000’s. DCA makes a suede ear pad for the Ether 2’s that closely resembles the sonic character of perforated ear pads. Maybe you should check them out.
I agreed. I hope DCA keep using sheep leather skin pads as Ether 1. I'm not sure why they change their new pads to synthetic.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,340 of 1,496
These have just arrived: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-velour-ear-pads-for-fostex-th900-headphones/

They do fit: Google Album

So far I am satisfied, I think they are a little bit more comfortable. My ears fit better, do not touch or just barely.

Since they have an angle, I think the airyness of the sound has increased, the soundstage. Also a bit more balanced sound, maybe a bit more bass, a bit less bright, but the clarity remained.

I think it was worth it.

AMWts8AAcT2SWPy5Sp02D8gxsAAxRSsvLHU3ddw7OvCRCsxFGv8okQ5de-7wmV-cdbvhi5yKjtF9ZcXgvb9_wKWQOlfauDMc_GSzZV2Xndh5FSGu57Gpn4-CmfDnnFt-I-FcTRnN6m_-mgwh53A2T_nRCKyl=w1292-h970-no

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #1,341 of 1,496
Yesterday I managed to sell my HD800S. I have bought the ADX5000 (used) for 1180 euros and sold the HD800S for 940 euros (but I also gave an aliexpress cable which I think is worth around 60 euros as used, so only the HD800S maybe 880 euros). I have had the HD800S for 3,5 years as my only headphone.

Just before selling, I've A/B-d them for two hours with my favorite music, just to be sure I've made the right decision. I could change my mind, if I wanted.

Comparing them directly, I can say that the ADX5000 has a much more vivid, beautiful sound, the HD800S sounds more flat and dull.
Especially the bass is more lazy on the Sennheiser, but the mids aren't as clear, and the highs are slightly less alive.
The soundstage was maybe a little bit bigger, but the ADX5000 compensates for an effortless, airy sound. Especially with the new Dekoni pads.

So don't think of the HD800S as an upgrade, rather a downgrade, if you have the chance to compare directly, you will definitely want to keep your ADX5000.
On the other hand the HD800S owner will likely give you an offer for your ADX5000. :wink:

My only dislike in the ADX5000 were the pads, I did not like how they feel. But the Dekoni pads have resolved this, for the most part.
The soundstage thing is not a big deal for me, the ADX5000 has a good enough soundstage, in fact I enjoy the slightly more intimate sound, than the more open Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,342 of 1,496
Yesterday I managed to sell my HD800S. I have bought the ADX5000 (used) for 1180 euros and sold the HD800S for 940 euros (but I also gave an aliexpress cable which I think is worth around 60 euros as used, so only the HD800S maybe 880 euros). I have had the HD800S for 3,5 years as my only headphone.

Just before selling, I've A/B-d them for two hours with my favorite music, just to be sure I've made the right decision. I could change my mind, if I wanted.

Comparing them directly, I can say that the ADX5000 has a much more vivid, beautiful sound, the HD800S sounds more flat and dull.
Especially the bass is more lazy on the Sennheiser, but the mids aren't as clear, and the highs are slightly less alive.
The soundstage was maybe a little bit bigger, but the ADX5000 compensates for an effortless, airy sound. Especially with the new Dekoni pads.

So don't think of the HD800S as an upgrade, rather a downgrade, if you have the chance to compare directly, you will definitely want to keep your ADX5000.
On the other hand the HD800S owner will likely give you an offer for your ADX5000. :wink:

My only dislike in the ADX5000 were the pads, I did not like how they feel. But the Dekoni pads have resolved this, for the most part.
The soundstage thing is not a big deal for me, the ADX5000 has a good enough soundstage, in fact I enjoy the slightly more intimate sound, than the more open Sennheiser.
Different setup lead to different impression. Have you seen ADX5000 review by DMS, Amirm on Audiosciencereview ?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,343 of 1,496
Different setup lead to different impression. Have you seen ADX5000 review by DMS, Amirm on Audiosciencereview ?
I have, and do agree with those remarks they make: This is not a headphone for everyone.
However: When I was driving these with A90 + E30 combo, these were way too bright and caused fatigue, I also experimented with tube buffer, this helped. Switching to SA-1 things got a lot better, and finally when I bought V222, these started to shine.
These are somewhat gear dependent, tubes or warm solid state amps are a must in my opinion.

With the right amp there is enough bass, guitars and drums sound amazing and highs are crisp without causing fatigue. I like EDM and for that the bass speed and impact is enough, and the highs have that sweet energy. I have two pairs of headphones, and I have switched the second pair often, but ADX has stayed with me. (Now I'm not thinking of switching the Elites either, because these compliment each other).

Also: I don't find DMS, Amirm or Joshua's recommendations that good: I tried Focal Clears and found those boring. Arya V2 was a similar case, tough those were a disappointment: Recessed mids and thin bass. I'm not saying that those are bad headphones, but rather that people like different things.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #1,344 of 1,496
I have, and do agree with those remarks they make: This is not a headphone for everyone.
However: When I was driving these with A90 + E30 combo, these were way too bright and caused fatigue, I also experimented with tube buffer, this helped. Switching to SA-1 things got a lot better, and finally when I bought V222, these started to shine.
These are somewhat gear dependent, tubes or warm solid state amps are a must in my opinion.

With the right amp there is enough bass, guitars and drums sound amazing and highs are crisp without causing fatigue. I like EDM and for that the bass speed and impact is enough, and the highs have that sweet energy. I have two pairs of headphones, and I have switched the second pair often, but ADX has stayed with me. (Now I'm not thinking of switching the Elites either, because these compliment each other).
Yes, the vividness is because exaggerated W shaped tuning combined with overly airy treble that sound more aggresive than HD800S.

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,345 of 1,496
As ex long time owner of ADX5k, I loved this one over hd800s too, im somehow slightly regret selling them since i couldnot find better open back since unless im upgrade to something like above 3000 usd, however i only can use closed back for now, and my only complain is the bass impact and bass performance, it cannot handle certain low frequency without going distortion in certain volume level, but i guess neither with hd800s, eq didnot help since its gonna distort anyway, measurement from another forum showed this, i guess that's the nature of ATH house sound, and if you're not basshead/bass lover and like the fantastic imaging and airyness and vocal engaging sound, this still perfect open cans you can find in the market right now up to 2000 usd imo and yes they're not for everyone, for reference i have tried hd800/hd800s/LCD X/Arya Stealth/LCD 3/Ether 2/Auteur/Clear OG+MG and HE6 OG, the only headphone can match this ADX and i love the sound presentation imo is only HE6 OG but that's discontinued already, they're more balance, same speed and the bass has better texture and not distort than adx but still nothing beat fanstastic imaging that adx offered imo.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,346 of 1,496

Also: I don't find DMS, Amirm or Joshua's recommendations that good: I tried Focal Clears and found those boring. Arya V2 was a similar case, tough those were a disappointment: Recessed mids and thin bass. I'm not saying that those are bad headphones, but rather that people like different things.
I'm glad you are judging the ADX5000's for yourself and not being persuaded by reviewers. Most have their own subjective tastes for what they like and how they want their music to be portrayed. It only makes since to pair the ADX5000's with warmer sounding gear since the headphone itself it so neutral sounding. System synergy is important not only with the ADX5000's, but with any headphone.

The ADX5000's are outstanding headphones. I rank them above the HD8XX's, Clears, and other headphones with a neutral sound signature. It's good to use reviews as a reference most of the time. In the end, the best ears are your own.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #1,347 of 1,496
Different setup lead to different impression.

Actually, I have tested them on 3 different setups. My conclusions were similiar, and the two other persons who were there also agreed.
(the ADX5000 in the pictures is the same example, that I own now)

I. Setup

Amp: ZEN CAN Signature HFM
DAC: iFi ZEN ONE Signature DAC

Google Album

I (we) found the ADX5000 to have such a nicer sound than the HD800S, the bass was in this case weak on both, because the amp was not too strong.
The HE1000SE was the best, it sounded similiarly beautiful as ADX5000, but it had very good bass with the weak amp. (it is easy to drive)

II. Setup (months later), these ones are very expensive

Streamer: Lumin U2 Mini
DAC: Holo Spring 3 KTE
Amp: Ferrum Oor+Hypsos

Google Album

Again I found the ADX5000 so much nicer than the HD800S lazy sound.
The Susvara won, I think it was a bit more refined and had low end extension. The price difference is not justified, since the ADX5000 has also a beautiful sound, without much low end extension. I wouldn't be suprised with the dekoni pads and maybe some really nice aftermarket cable, the ADX5000 could come dangerously close to the Susvara. I think I will have the opportunity to go back.

III. Setup

Massdrop Grace Design Standard DAC --> Gustard H10 (Burson v6 Vivid Single + Burson v5i Dual upgrade) --> Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000

My conclusion was the ADX5000 sounds much nicer, on some tracks suprisingly better when switching. Was happy to hold the money in my hand for the Sennheiser.
BTW from memory, the Gustard with the Bursons also performs well, I do not think that the above mentioned fancy&expensive Ferrum Oor+Hypsos sounded better.
The Gustard also gives a very high quality output.

Have you seen ADX5000 review by DMS, Amirm on Audiosciencereview ?

No, since it's in the morning, I won't watch it now.

I think A/B-ing with your own ears 3 times (!) in a calm environment, means so much more than videos.

P.S. If you will have the opportunity to test them side-by-side, after you go home, you will start searching the internet for an ADX5000 for a good price :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #1,348 of 1,496
Reviewers=opinions. No more, no less.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,349 of 1,496
I have tried the Dekoni hybrid pads as well. Link The leather is very soft and nice to the touch, the velour is also very nice.
The headphone now looks quite good in my opinion, and very comfortable.

Soundwise, the bass has been elevated and the highs taken back a bit. The slightly bright headphone has been equalized.
The soundstage has decreased compared to the full velour Dekonis a tiny bit, which is a slight disadvantage, but I think it is still larger than with the factory pads.

Google Album

AMWts8DevZgYmWKPCvO8Il_M1jqZEvLrW4jUCfkBMRY9xXSyH7_o2wXzVAlXdnCbSnO2Iw-tEHWEePSg3sarAHEK1ZjjxlGeTiKLeOpa823huDNHVY7KQdbd1y3WCe9amWdlN7sN5_lK8LKgpmxqMn8qsoXU=w1301-h969-no

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,350 of 1,496
I'm glad you are judging the ADX5000's for yourself and not being persuaded by reviewers. Most have their own subjective tastes for what they like and how they want their music to be portrayed. It only makes since to pair the ADX5000's with warmer sounding gear since the headphone itself it so neutral sounding. System synergy is important not only with the ADX5000's, but with any headphone.

The ADX5000's are outstanding headphones. I rank them above the HD8XX's, Clears, and other headphones with a neutral sound signature. It's good to use reviews as a reference most of the time. In the end, the best ears are your own.
I agree. The ADX5000 is as good as it gets for classical music - and I say this as someone who used the HD800/S for many years and never expected to move on! Like the HD800/S, they shine with the right amp. I found the SPL Phonitor xe works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back