2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #691 of 1,496
Thank you.
I see he uses the SPL Phonitor X--an amplifier that completely disappointed me when I owned it.
The reviewer's "Clear = ADX5000" statement has me dumbfounded still.

Of the three headphones on hand, the ADX5000 are for me, thus far, the most listenable.
well this hobby is inherently subjective in nature so i wouldn't be too astonished by the reviewer's statement

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #692 of 1,496
i'm not sure what you mean by that so some further explanation would be appreciated
I mean headphones dot com only use the equipment which is available on their web store . (They are promoting them)

For example, in adx5k review they have used ifi & Mytek DAC/amp, SPL amp. They sell these equipments.
Review is biased.

Audio Technica uses either h5050 or luxmann p750u amp with adx5k at Hifi shows especially in east /south east Asia.

Proper synergy is required between DAC/amp/hps.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #693 of 1,496
I mean headphones dot com only use the equipment which is available on their web store . (They are promoting them)

For example, in adx5k review they have used ifi & Mytek DAC/amp, SPL amp. They sell these equipments.
Review is biased.

Audio Technica uses either h5050 or luxmann p750u amp with adx5k at Hifi shows especially in east /south east Asia.

the reviewer is not employed by headphones.com. headphones.com loans equipment under its headphone community preview program. my understanding is that headphones.com has loaned equipment to the reviewer for review. the reviewer has also purchased some of the equipment that he has reviewed. having watched and read his review of the ath-adx5000, it's not apparent to me what you think the reviewer is biased towards or against (other than having a personal preference for headphones with a "warm yet detailed" rather than a bright presentation).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #694 of 1,496
I have nothing against the reviewer or headphones dot com.

I am saying that it’s better to try yourself if possible on proper/own setup.

Btw tell me how many reviewers give a honest opinion.
Every reviewer writes a disclaimer that they are not associated with x,y,z etc.
They are forced to write a favourable review or otherwise there are consequences.

As far as purchasing of equipment is concerned by the reviewer, they get huge discounts, almost ~40% or more.
It’s complicated.
Let’s not discuss this further.

If you want to know anything about ADX5k.
Let me know.

Regards

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #695 of 1,496

They are forced to write a favourable review or otherwise there are consequences.

As far as purchasing of equipment is concerned by the reviewer, they get huge discounts, almost ~40% or more.
It’s complicated.

Let me know.

Regards
that may be what you're saying now but you made no mention of it in your previous post. if your belief that the review is biased is correct, then shouldn't it have been more effusive in its praise of the ath-adx5000? while it certainly wasn't that, i thought that it was a favourable review overall. and why should i assume that your opinion of the ath-adx5000 would be less biased than the reviewer's?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #696 of 1,496

It’s complicated.

Let me know.

Regards
I find it intriguing how every few months someone pops up with an unfounded and clearly incorrect theory about bias and reviewers being "forced" to write good reviews.
Define the "consequences" they face.
As of yet I have never seen a reviewer withhold negative reviews or criticisms on products they didn't like. Not Metal, not Torq, not Joshua Valor and not Resolve. You disliking a product a reviewer liked is not evidence of bias or duress, it's evidence of opinion.
I don't know if you really know what the word "bias" means, but its impossible for a reviewer in an inherently subjective hobby to write a review without bias; that bias can be a byproduct of the music they listen to, the sound signature they prefer or system synergy.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #697 of 1,496
There is no point in discussing it further.
I am not saying adx5k is the best.
I very well know its strengths and weaknesses.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #698 of 1,496
There is no point in discussing it further.
I am not saying adx5k is the best.
I very well know its strengths and weaknesses.
I didn't say it was the best either. Good idea leaving the subject.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #700 of 1,496

Review is biased.

Just wanted to make it clear that @Resolve is not limited to gear that we sell. You can find multiple reviews from him of products that we do not sell. His most recent one is of the Moondrop Starfield .

The Pro iDSD, Phonitor X and Liberty DAC just happen to be gear he has on hand for evaluation.

Resolve has also uploaded and written negative reviews of products we carry and others have written negative reviews that are in our reviews section. You'll also see gear there that we do not sell. We don't have our reviews there to sell products, they are there to provide the best possible information we can to our customers and people doing research and looking to learn.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #701 of 1,496
Guys i just got the ADX5000 last few days and it exceeded my expectations , it sound so open , very detailed and airy , it has decent bass , its not laid back but quite the opposite it has very dynamic and engaging sound signature , my only grip so far that its a little dry , lack some decay and reverb compared to the HD800S which has that and i guess thats what makes the HD800S has the sense of bigger sound stage , and i think a Tube amp would improve the missing parts with the ADX5000 , is there any recommendations for a good tube amp ?

Apr 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #702 of 1,496
....is there any recommendations for a good tube amp ?

Definitely worth trying is their own hybrid AT-HA5050H. I would expect the ADX5000 were tuned with the amp.

Also, try the company balanced cable (see link below) it comes as a standard with L5k and makes the subtle difference I believe you are looking for (comparing to the SE version that sounds basically as described by you above. I happened to have both cables).

https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT-B1XA-3.0

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #703 of 1,496
Thank you.
I see he uses the SPL Phonitor X--an amplifier that completely disappointed me when I owned it.
The reviewer's "Clear = ADX5000" statement has me dumbfounded still.

Of the three headphones on hand, the ADX5000 are for me, thus far, the most listenable.

Just to clarify something, I used the ADX5000 off a wide range of sources, not just the SPL Phonitor X. Also, I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought the ADX5K = the Clear, just that in my mind it should fall closer to the same price range as the Clear (and HD800s). They all trade blows depending on your preferences. For most of the music I like to listen to, my preference would be for the ADX5K (especially from a nice tube amp), but I can absolutely see someone preferring the Clear.

As for the other stuff, I think I'll just let the content speak for itself, I'd only ask that you guys check some of it out before coming to conclusions haha.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 25, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #704 of 1,496
Definitely worth trying is their own hybrid AT-HA5050H. I would expect the ADX5000 were tuned with the amp.

Also, try the company balanced cable (see link below) it comes as a standard with L5k and makes the subtle difference I believe you are looking for (comparing to the SE version that sounds basically as described by you above. I happened to have both cables).

https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT-B1XA-3.0
Thanks for the reply ,, i just ordered the cable you posted , i guess it will improve the sound specially how thick it is compared to the stock ,,

about the AT-HA5050H amp ,, thanks for the suggestion and it could be amazing amp but i stopped buying any amp with Alps Pot , it color the sound to the point that almost all the amps i tried with this volume pot are not transparent enough, its like this pot has its sound and the amp adds its flavor ,, anyway thanks and i appreciate your help

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #705 of 1,496
I totally get your point about the blue Alps, I'm also picky regarding the volume control crucial parts, hence went for a DIY amplifier years ago. If I may suggest an alternative to the HA5050-H, it is not a valve amplifier but sounds nothing like a typical transistor, I'm thinking here of Luxman P-750u. This amp matches perfectly with the L5k musical strengths, so it should also be a good companion for the open version. It has a fluid, very 'organic' nature but at the same time doesn't compromise on transparency allowing for a great insight into the recording. The Luxman is in fact on my shopping list as it ticks off most of the technical aspects I'm looking for (4PIN XLR output - I won't have to play through the adapter anymore, computerised attenuator - should be accurate and keep its parameters over the years and sensitivity adjustment), so maybe you could borrow it for an evaluation if it is available in your area.

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back