2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #676 of 1,496
. . . the Utopia sound awfully good!
[Have not strapped on the ADX5000 yet.]

The Utopia offer subtlety, succinct dynamics, absolute liquidity and a flawless tonality.

So there was a reason I went without a car last year and bought headphones instead . . .

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #677 of 1,496
Having alphabetized and numerically labeled the headphones: [#1=ATH-ADX5000, #2=Focal Utopia, #3=HifiMAN HE-1000SE], I will now randomize the listening order with a permutation: #2, #1, #3. The Utopia go first, the ADX5000 second and the HE-1000SE third.

[Tidal Masters]
Performer: Lee Ritenour
Song: "L.A. By Bike" from the album Rhythm Sessions (Deluxe Edition), 5:44

#2 Focal Utopia
These things are heavy, but worth their weight in precious metal.

The Utopia immediately arrest the listener's attention with their dynamic thrust: explosive, but in the manner of many finely controlled demolitions. The sound field ungulates with the deft and distinctive dynamic of each instrument in the mix: kick drums go deep and rivet my attention with precise impact, cymbals shimmer radiantly, the organ back-up hovers with its sheer quasi-omnipresence, the bass swells and recedes; and the space-time continuum, too, swells and recedes. Ritenour's string plucks are just a touch forward, but judiciously projected, artfully shapen and now decaying. The music is totally and seamlessly integrated: this is the most tonally and dynamically saturated sound stage of any headphones I have heard to date.

In reference to the common complaint that the Utopia have a confined sound stage, that has not been my experience [especially with the dedicated DSHA-3F amplifier]. The Utopia's size and proportion are true to, and vary commensurate with, the recording.

The Utopia are deserving of all the positive press they have gotten.

[Out for a walk.]

#1 ADX5000
These headphones are extremely lightweight and unobtrusive--among the most comfortable I have ever donned, lending to the ease and musicality of the overall listening experience.

Not as dynamically dense, nor as assertive at the outset as the Utopia, the ADX5000 instead coax the ears, through progressive discoveries, into an incredible expanse of music. Detail retrieval and precise anchoring of elements in space are, I think, on par with the Focal, but the atmosphere is one of ease--not force--of detail with the ATH. Tones are very natural-sounding; textures are silken, and deeply as well as widely rendered. There is a depth and richness to detail here that is unique and alluring. The sense of air, of overall 3D space, is greater with the ADX5000, but all the while still managing to sound intimate and emotionally involving at the same time.

Listening to the ADX5000 involves gradually coming to appreciative consciousness in a seemingly endless volume of everything ultimately musical and beautiful. This is one delectable listen, pretty much what I have been looking for in open dynamic headphones for most of my audiophile life.

The ATH are real sleepers, apparently underappreciated in the Head-fi world, a true hidden gem, providing quality performance well [well] above their price point. At one half the MSRP of the Utopia, the ADX5000 are a worthy competitor and a stone cold bargain. [Caveat: Make sure your amp is up to the task, though.]

[I am having a difficult time ending this session . . . having spilled 3 or 4 songs beyond "L.A. By Bike" into the sweet composition aptly named "Rose Petals".]

#3 HE-1000SE
Remarkable presentation of micro detail, hairline-fine levels/boundaries of separation, delicacy and finesse, deep articulated bass--perhaps the deepest and best articulated of the three contenders, are hallmarks of the 1000SE. This is one well-organized sound space. Exceedingly wide and well layered, but not as deep as either the Focal or the ATH. A bit more forward overall, too, but it all seems to work well together with the HfM. Like I said earlier, these are certainly no slouches.

I would also add, too, that to my ears, the HE-1000SE come off as perhaps the most "neutral-sounding" and analytical of the three, but without compromising that essential modicum of musicality. [So I consider "neutrality" a good thing in this context.] The midrange sounds fresh, clear and penetrating.

[Caveat: Be patient, the HE-1000SE have a long break-in period, on the order of 200+ hours, IMHO.]

[That's it for tonight. God willing, tomorrow I do the same thing, but listen in another randomized order and to another genre.]

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #680 of 1,496
i've not heard the adx5000 so i can't comment on how it compares to the clear. i have heard the clear tho and didn't perceive its bass response as you do. having watched and read a number of the reviewer's impressions of headphones that i've tried, i find him to be a reliable guide. i think that he gave the adx5000 a favourable review overall and it has piqued my interest again in this headphone. i intend to give it an audition once the pandemic has passed.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #681 of 1,496
i've not heard the adx5000 so i can't comment on how it compares to the clear. i have heard the clear tho and didn't perceive its bass response as you do. having watched and read a number of the reviewer's impressions of headphones that i've tried, i find him to be a reliable guide. i think that he gave the adx5000 a favourable review overall and it has piqued my interest again in this headphone. i intend to give it an audition once the pandemic has passed.

If you are treble aversive, I would highly recommend you try before you buy. I found the upper mids and treble on them very bright. I returned them in less than a week, because of the harshness.

I just don’t get them. To my ears, they’re like a poor man’s 800S, except they cost more. But they didn’t do anything better, to my ears. I found the 800S better in resolution, soundstage, imaging, and timbre, and the 800S sounds far less bright to me.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #682 of 1,496
If you are treble aversive, I would highly recommend you try before you buy. I found the upper mids and treble on them very bright. I returned them in less than a week, because of the harshness.

I just don’t get them. To my ears, they’re like a poor man’s 800S, except they cost more. But they didn’t do anything better, to my ears. I found the 800S better in resolution, soundstage, imaging, and timbre, and the 800S sounds far less bright to me.
i don't think that i'm all that averse to treble. :relaxed: i've had the opportunity to audition the ath-adx5000 in the past but other headphones have taken precedence over it. i'm mildly curious about it now because of the recent activity in this thread, the above video review and my ownership of other a-t cans. i doubt that i'll be wanting to add it to the collection tho.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #683 of 1,496
ADX5000 sound signature is not neutral but more focussed towards upper mids and treble that doesn't mean the rest of the frequency/bands sound bad.

I believe the source/dac/Amp matching/synergy matters a lot.

When I had tried them with hugo2/ Dave /yggy1 + hpa4 the paring was not good for my taste. It was very analytical, sounded less natural , too bright.

With Pavane + hpa4 and/or tube amp like mogwai SE, auris nirvana they sound nothing short of spectacular.

Mids are full, bodied , amazing transparency, resolution and air..

Trebles are never thin, transients are very natural and fast, extension is TOTL...
They are called air dynamic(AD) due to the elevated upper trebles...

Before buying adx5000 I had compared them with HD800, 800s,utopia etc...

HD800 have class leading soundstage.. no doubt about it . But, in other areas Adx5k has an upper hand..be it in imaging, resolution, speed, bass quality/quantity etc. imo.

Fitting/clamping pressure on utopia was not good for me. Plus the price.

The pairing with Audio technica h5050 dac/amp is also spectacular (120ohm headphone out). There are few people in this thread who own this .

The soundstage on most of the SS amp is not that large as compared to HD800/800S but with tube amps that too with high impedance out (300/600ohms) it's quite impressive ( holographic 3d ).

YMMV

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #684 of 1,496
My ears do not find the ADX5000 bright in the least. [Although they have sounded annoyingly bright on certain of my amplifiers and/or with certain tube choices.] The ADX5000 match very well with the Meridian Prime HA+PSU, and I have been fortunate to find such an optimal pairing relatively early in the "hunt". The highs, rather, are extended and have a silken/gossamer transparency to them in my perception. But I also hasten to add that I have had a predilection for headphones that have been popularly/negatively critiqued as "bright" within the Head-fi realms; e.g. Beyerdynamic DT880 [2003], AKG K701, Ultrasone PRO series, etc.

As always: "The ears have it."

To me, the HE-1000SE can sound sharp in the upper mids/lower treble [e.g. with electric guitar tracks and ill-recorded brass sections] whereas the ADX5000 do not. The ATH's strongest suit is probably along the lines of well recorded jazz/acoustic studio venues; and here I decidedly prefer them to even the Utopia [driven by the Meridian--I have not put the balanced Focal-dedicated DSHA-3F amp into the review chain yet].

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #685 of 1,496

It wasn't until I a/b-ed the Clear against the Utopia that the bass boost became apparent. Did the video reviewer list his associated equipment somewhere?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #686 of 1,496
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #687 of 1,496
Thank you.
I see he uses the SPL Phonitor X--an amplifier that completely disappointed me when I owned it.
The reviewer's "Clear = ADX5000" statement has me dumbfounded still.

Of the three headphones on hand, the ADX5000 are for me, thus far, the most listenable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #688 of 1,496
They only use that DAC/AMP which is available in their online shop.
No more explanation required.

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #689 of 1,496
Round 2:
Random order: #3, #2, #1: HE-1000SE, Utopia, ADX5000.

[Tidal Masters]
Tchaikovsky: Symphony #6 in B minor ["Pathetique"]
Michael Tilson Thomas, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

HE-1000SE [Qutest "green" filter switch on]
I can hear the double reeds softly buzzing underneath the bassoon sections. Amazing micro-detail: clean and clear as a bell.

. . . to be continued . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back