2016 CanJam RMAF Impressions - Denver
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #121 of 240
How much is just the energizer?

I think it is $1,299, but I am not positive. I'm also not entirely sure if the base unit is required for the energizer. I think the base unit might power it. Don't quote me on that. Should really ask iFi to be sure.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #122 of 240
I think it is $1,299, but I am not positive. I'm also not entirely sure if the base unit is required for the energizer. I think the base unit might power it. Don't quote me on that. Should really ask iFi to be sure.

The energizer works by itself with a speaker amp. It has its own AC power cord. Its like the Wee from Woo Audio. But I think it has a higher voltage. That's why I'm curious about it. $1299 would be very expensive considering the Wee is only $499.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #123 of 240

To my ears, the Herus and Herus + from Resonessence Labs were stars of the show.  They exhibited on the fifth floor instead of at CanJam.  Their mobile connection is cumbersome compared to similar products, but the sound is worth the extra effort.

Do you know if they upgraded the internal chip to a 9028 or is each Herus still using the old 9010 chip?

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #126 of 240
Perhaps I missed it , but I have not read ANY impressions regarding the Woo Audio WA22 SE or the Cavalli Tungsten. I have to believe folks gave these new,  high-end tube amps  a listen.  yes?

Ditto, have seen a couple people talk about the Tungsten, but no impressions on the WA22-SE yet.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #128 of 240
We had a really nice time at this year's RMAF! 

Audeze's The King and LCD-4 combo was impressive, so was iSINE10.

We also liked what our DP-777SE did with Norvegian Hegel H360 Sonner Audio. That Scandinavian integrated is a very nice deck.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #129 of 240
Was the Realiser A16 there guys? Did you try it out?

No They were not at RMAF/CanJam, but we were:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/822365/2016-canjam-rmaf-impressions-denver#post_12918758

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #131 of 240
  Not much said about Hifiman HE-1000 V2....

Got them here for a review...they are amazing. If you felt the originals where a bit on the softer side, the new V2s come back with plenty of dynamics and punch, but still retain the HE-1000 magic. More to come...

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #132 of 240

I'll get some impressions up later this week. Sadly, I got sick during the event and only got Friday and part of Sunday but I hit all the places I planned. The highlight of the show for me over all were these Ono Paka speakers. Brand new small company. Their first show. I spent quite a bit of time in their main room. They had a budget system on second floor as well. Never has something imaged better that I've heard. Very unique design. Very very good sound. Probably will pick up a pair. As far as headphones go, the Focal Elear takes the cake. I heard in budget room with a Schiit Jotunheim. Tremendous headphone. I didn't hear the Utopias. Partially on purpose.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #133 of 240
As far as headphones go, the Focal Elear takes the cake. I heard in budget room with a Schiit Jotunheim. Tremendous headphone. I didn't hear the Utopias. Partially on purpose.

I went to the Focal booth at CanJam two separate times...and both times listened to Elear and Utopia back to back...and both times preferred the sound signature of Elear.

Beyond the sound, you know another reason I liked the Elear so much? It was actually comfortable to wear. The weight was manageable! When I tried the TOTL from HIfiman and Audeze, it was like wearing a cinder block on my head...

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #134 of 240
I went to the Focal booth at CanJam two separate times...and both times listened to Elear and Utopia back to back...and both times preferred the sound signature of Elear.

Beyond the sound, you know another reason I liked the Elear so much? It was actually comfortable to wear. The weight was manageable! When I tried the TOTL from HIfiman and Audeze, it was like wearing a cinder block on my head...

Agreed. So comfortable. It has such an amazing sound. I own an Audeze LCD3 and it weighs a ton. Schiit had an LCD-XC available at their booth. That thing is even worse. I didn't bother to listen. It wouldn't have mattered. Too damn heavy.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #135 of 240

Sonoma Acoustics Model One may warrant comparison to other TOTL electrostats ! Interesting.

The Sonoma would not be easy to compare because, if I understand its description, the electrostatic headphone only works with their own amplifier. And the amplifier has a built-in DAC that only has a USB input?

Gee, the Model One (M1) is so new, there's not much info about them yet.

I think they have a hi and lo analog input in the class A amp section of the amp/dac combo.

Site says they are high bias, but dunno the exact voltage, or power needs to drive the headphones. Depending on these factors, comparisons to other stats may be easy or tricky, but possible, and it has been done before with other brands stats in run-offs.

It may be as simple as plugging into a Stax amp, if all matches, like a KS-H3 or using an adapter cord with a powerful Stax amp as in the case with ESP-950.

If not, it's trickier, but still possible, yet may be oranges to tangerines, rather than to apples analogy.

Using 2 of the same stat amps, but 1 amp with modified bias voltage can offer a standardized baseline; the slight voltage difference may not affect amp's presentation to 2 different headphones, and allow comparison of them. Same can be done with a speaker-amp tapped out into 2 same energizer/transformers, each one specific to bias voltage needed.

Trying to recall, it seems an stat amp was/is made with variable bias voltage (not just normal & high-bias, but variable-voltages); if so, 2 of those could compare Model One cans to other brand stat cans, as close to oranges vs oranges.

With this can run-off, it then leads to know how different the Model One sounds switched over with it's own dedicated amp - that amp may even be able to drive other stat brands, just don't know much about it yet.

If all else fails, each dedicated system can be run-off vs the other; that can be oranges to apples or oranges to tangerines. Sorta think like KingSound amp with KingSound headphones vs Stax amp with Stax headphones. These type reviews have been done before. Somehow we will get comparative tests.

(Multi) Stax & Airbow guy here, like yourself; also have KS-H3 and ESP-950, so always curious about new comers in the stat market like the new HiFiMan, Mr Speakers and Sonoma Acoustics. Brand competiton can be a good thing. Really interested in the new SR-L700, expecting to get one in future.

Hopefully didn't sidetrack here, but there are these 3 new stats at RMAF, all three look exciting to learn more about !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back