2015 Seattle Redhook Meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 57
  Thank you Big Pappa and everyone else for a great show.  I was impressed by the displays of HeadAmp, 1964, and Norne, I am glad they showed up to support us.  It was a wonderful opportunity.  This was my first event, and I definitely want to attend more in the future.  I wish I could have spend more time with the Project Ember, I didn't even try the frankentube...  I can have issues with the sensitivity of my Nobles.  This could be on my short list for a setup.  

The best quote I heard all show was that it is not about the equipment we all share, but of the new music we are introduced to.  Every new song can awaken our ears to our old systems.  

Yes, thank's to Big Pappa for sure. This was a great event. I wish I could have had the opportunity to listen to more systems. Really I do.
I was interested to have one of those adapters made that Atomic Bob had introduced to me with his fabulous setup. I'm very happy he loved the Draug2!  It's definitely a cable with some true synergy paired with the HD800's.  I would like to try the phase trick he talked about. 
We would love to attend more events if we are invited. Thanks for having us Big Poppa.

Maybe i'll get a chance to try the HE1000's more in the near future. I may order a pair. Someone was kind enough to let me listen to their pair for 15min or so. My fiance was pretty impressed too.
The PMX2's were something special as well. Unfortunately I missed out on most gear due to being wrapped up with windows 8.1 issues, and answering questions about Norne cables. For those who might be interested in the show discount, I mean to get a few discount codes out to people that I talked to. PM me if so. I apologize.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #32 of 57
What DAC was being used with the red amp (GSX I think?) at the Headroom station? I think that's the only setup I've ever used before where I wasn't at all concerned with the treble being sharp for my ears. It was awesome!

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #33 of 57
  What DAC was being used with the red amp (GSX I think?) at the Headroom station? I think that's the only setup I've ever used before where I wasn't at all concerned with the treble being sharp for my ears. It was awesome!

The DAC was an Ayre QB-9.  And it was nice.
I got to hear the Blue Hawaii and GS-X at an Atlanta head-fi meet a couple years ago.  They were using an Oppo player as the source.  I forget which model.  And the treble was sharp.  Especially with the Stax SR-009.  This time with the Ayre DAC the treble was nice.  Very nice.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #34 of 57
  *edit*
I was interested to have one of those adapters made that Atomic Bob had introduced to me with his fabulous setup. I'm very happy he loved the Draug2!  It's definitely a cable with some true synergy paired with the HD800's.  I would like to try the phase trick he talked about. 

I'll add you to the list for the build next weekend. It will be parts at cost + modest amount to cover labor. Between $25 ~ $30. Takes about 45 minutes to build one, so cheap labor.

Used the Draug2 last night. No more drag on my neck. No more mechanical cable noise to the headphones. Was able to listen for several hours without noticing the cable. Just music. Thank-you, ergonomics are important for headphone listening enjoyment.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #35 of 57
I'll add you to the list for the build next weekend. It will be parts at cost + modest amount to cover labor. Between $25 ~ $30. Takes about 45 minutes to build one, so cheap labor.

Used the Draug2 last night. No more drag on my neck. No more mechanical cable noise to the headphones. Was able to listen for several hours without noticing the cable. Just music. Thank-you, ergonomics are important for headphone listening enjoyment.

Sure, I'll be happy to send you payment via PayPal or cash at the next upcoming meet.
I'm very happy you're enjoying the draug2! Hope you can post a review in the norne audio thread. Once you have thoroughly tested it. :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #36 of 57
Great meet, props to Gil for getting it together once more (and whoever else is involved).

It was a good setup and really, these things need to be a 10-5 event because its grown to a much larger size and simply there isn't enough time. Never had and even less now.

Good to see new faces out and lots of different gear.

I second the 10 to 5 event schedule. I was only getting started when it ended and missed almost all the things that I wanted to hear. Luckily, I was hosting the two things that I cared about most - the EC ZD and the PMx2 - which we were able to do a lot of experimenting with.
wink_face.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 57
I do open to close most of the time. I have been in competition in some venues. The next two meets should be a lot more time.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 57
  @BobFiggins I guess you really do like the multiple of 4 driver setup. I'm surprised there is no 8-drivers adel. It should have even better sub-bass. How much did the A4 cost you? I tried to open 1964ears website but it seems like they haven't updated their online catalog

There will be an 8 driver Adel at some point, but it wasn't at the meet (They said they forgot either the V8 or the A8, can't remember which). The A4 is roughly $700, full price, I think. As far as the online catalog, I don't think they are allowing online sales as of yet, because they need to get through all of the Kickstarter stuff (which they may have already) and now the head-fi meet stuff, and I'm sure they're making sure that they have enough of a back catalog of the universal gear for the impending orders of all of that gear. If you (or someone else) wanted to buy them, I would think that you'd be able to order some by giving them a quick phone call or email. For the Head-fi people, it seems like we are supposed to be getting emails with personalized links to the shop, so that we can customize and order ours. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #39 of 57
Wear headphones while watching these videos!

Wow those binaural videos sound awesome, how did you record those? I counted at least four Garage1217 amps btw, nice to see their amps getting around.
smile.gif

Would've liked to have made it to the meet, hopefully will be able to make it to next summer's. Been too long since I last made it out to a Seattle meet.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 57
Wear headphones while watching these videos!

The stereo version of the video (it might be easier to hear Vitaliy and Stephen Ambrose):
https://youtu.be/bol9igi5MIQ

The stereo version of the video:
https://youtu.be/uIzEYlMrlvo

Great videos, the binaural mics are always a cool addition to experience a walk through.

I couldn't help myself, hahaha. Why. So. Serious?

Must...achieve...noise...compensating..decibal...balance..

I really liked this rig with the Taboo amp and LCD2 (non-fazor), TBH I think it's the best I've ever heard the LCD2s enough to say that they are very enjoyable and performs with hair-raising goodness. The LCD3 on this rig with the same balanced cable took it into a whole 'nother level of imaging/soundstage and with that sweet warmth of the Audeze house sound.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #41 of 57
I left town right after the meet and only just returned and only now have the chance to post a couple of thoughts about last Saturday's meeting..

First, special thanks to Big Poppa and all who helped set up this meet!  The friendly exchange of ideas and sounds was happening at every listening station.  There was a nice mix of gear and ideas from mid-fi to unobtanium on display!  My favorite setup at the meet, like others have said, was the HE-1000 paired with the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 amp.  WOW.  It sounded really good.  I mean REALLY GOOD.  Maybe if I sold my car and..................................

I tried to keep a mental note of the headphones I was able to sample.  Here's what I noted:

HiFiMan HE-400, HE-400i, HE-560, HE-1000 (the HEK is the best planar I've heard).  I think the 560 would look good in my music room!

Sennheiser HD-650, HD-800 (the HD-800 is still the bomb)

Ultrasone (I think Edition 8), sounded pretty nice indeed and surprised me!

Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3 (you want bass, you got it!)

STAX SR-007, SR-009, and the funny rectangular ones, don't know their model number, but they are all ridiculously GOOD

AKG 702, classic sound and really would like to have one in my stable.  My friend that came with me was very impressed by that one.

Bowers and Wilkins P7, which was more bass than I expected.

Grado "153"  (not sure of the model number. It was an on-ear phone and had dynamite mid-range)

Of course, I didn't get to all that was set up to hear!!  There was a lot in attendance.

There were a bunch of DAC's and Amps scattered around.  Didn't catch all of them:

JDS Labs 02, classic with darned good sound.
HeadAmp Blue Hawaii and GS-X MK 2  (The Mk 2 was the best sound I heard at the meeting)
Holographic Sound "Ear One" from Sweden  Cool all silver and sounded AWESOME.  The guy that had this said it replaced his Phonitor 2!  The Phonitor is bad ass.  This is.....um.......more bad ass?
Audio-GD 10 (really nice, POWERFUL)
Decaware tube amp (custom).  That was S-W-E-E-T and sounded fantastic!  A work of art and a sonic beauty!

Loving this hobby and meeting new friends! The meet inspired me to take it a bit further in the cable arena and I'm looking forward to learning more about that, too.

Keep on listening!

MKTRV6
A.K.A.   Big T

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #42 of 57
Was there anyone who has a pair of Hifiman he-6's?
I forgot I wanted to try a pair of he-6's on my audio-gd master 11.
Another guy in the forum wanted me to check how they faired with the amplifier.
I am also very curious. If anyone has a pair, I would hope I could convince them to come over and try them on my system for exchange of some beers and lunch. I would appreciate it very much!

:)

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #43 of 57
Heya everyone.

I apologize for not being able to post sooner
The meet up was awesome.  I had the opportunity to listen to some really nice setups and get exposed to some new music.  I also got some recommendations (Thanks BIG POPPA, BBBALL, curbfeeler).

I got to meet up with some cool people.  Shout outs to BobFiggins, BIG POPPA, BBBALL, curbfeeler, atomicbob, Ham Sandwich, TheDukeNY, Musiqboy, gefski, sardonyx, bimmer100... I did lose track of names and handles so i must apologize to everyone I left out.

I really enjoyed checking out what HeadAmp and 1964 brought.

I picked up the mmcx cable that Norne Audio had. Great cable :) (Now I have discovered just how bad the imbalance is on my UE-900s at low vol, that left channel just isn't there... )

I look forward to doing this again.

- Elric

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #44 of 57
  The best quote I heard all show was that it is not about the equipment we all share, but of the new music we are introduced to.  Every new song can awaken our ears to our old systems.  

This is the quote" This is the secret of this hobby. It's is not the gear you have, it's the new music you listen to. Your rig will surprise you from time to time." Yup that was me talking to Elric

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #45 of 57
Wow those binaural videos sound awesome, how did you record those? I counted at least four Garage1217 amps btw, nice to see their amps getting around. :smile:

Would've liked to have made it to the meet, hopefully will be able to make it to next summer's. Been too long since I last made it out to a Seattle meet.

Thanks Asr! I have a set of Sound Professional in-ear binaural mics that I use. The pre-amp is a Tascam iXJ2 for the legacy 30-pin iDevices.
The video on the other hand didn't turn out as well as I thought it would. I think it's the end of my digital camera's life cycle. : (

Next summer. : p
We've switched up summer and spring meets though so if you want to go to a Bottlehead one, that'll be in April/May-ish.

Must...achieve...noise...compensating..decibal...balance..

Hahaha, yeah it was pretty loud at the meet. When I was recording the audio with the binaural mics, I didn't realise that I was talking so loudly as to clip the sound. I guess next time I'll lower the gain and just amplify it in post-processing.

I'll get to posting photos and impressions later. I just got done with a phone interview, so I have some stress off my back. I'm in the middle of writing my HE1000 sound quality review, so I'll have that posted before I post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back